From the Rocket Shop: Cutting Centering Rings and Bulkheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward

Reaction score
Tutorial video on making your own high power wood centering rings.

[video=vimeo;116581085]https://vimeo.com/116581085[/video]

Hard link: [video=vimeo;116581085]https://vimeo.com/116581085[/video]

Watch other videos in this album: https://vimeo.com/album/3208055

Last edited:
No link, no video.... I do see a link for "Watch other videos in this album...".

Nice video.

One of the things I do after cutting the bulk plates out with a hole saw slightly oversized on the drill press is to thread a stack of 4 or so onto a 1/4x20 cap screw/bolt with larger washers top and bottom and lock the sandwich into place with a nut on the top. Snug everything down tight and chuck the assembly into the drill press so that it bottom sits just about 1/8" off the table. I run the drill press up to a slow speed and trim the bulk plates down to exact size using a Perma-Grit sanding block (see image).

sb140.jpg

For centering rings, I tape the edges of the stack of bulkplates together, remove the center bolt, and drill out the center with a slightly undersized hole saw on the drill press. Trim the center hole to exact size with a Dremel, a rotary spindle sander, or a round sanding cylinder. With a little care you can easily achieve an airtight joint between the centering ring and motor tube.

NEVER make just one pair of centering rings or bulk plates. My minimum number is at least 4. We're rocketeers and we build rockets! A lot!

Perma-Grit Sanding Blocks are awesome. They are not permanent, but they are close.

Perma-Grit Sanding Blocks are awesome. They are not permanent, but they are close.
We should quantify the permanent aspect of Perma-Grit by saying "On wood, they're permanent".

I think I have the entire set at this point and use the heck out of them. The larger round files are particularly good on fillets.

Nice video.

One of the things I do after cutting the bulk plates out with a hole saw slightly oversized on the drill press is to thread a stack of 4 or so onto a 1/4x20 cap screw/bolt with larger washers top and bottom and lock the sandwich into place with a nut on the top. Snug everything down tight and chuck the assembly into the drill press so that it bottom sits just about 1/8" off the table. I run the drill press up to a slow speed and trim the bulk plates down to exact size using a Perma-Grit sanding block (see image).

sb140.jpg

For centering rings, I tape the edges of the stack of bulkplates together, remove the center bolt, and drill out the center with a slightly undersized hole saw on the drill press. Trim the center hole to exact size with a Dremel, a rotary spindle sander, or a round sanding cylinder. With a little care you can easily achieve an airtight joint between the centering ring and motor tube.

NEVER make just one pair of centering rings or bulk plates. My minimum number is at least 4. We're rocketeers and we build rockets! A lot!

We should quantify the permanent aspect of Perma-Grit by saying "On wood, they're permanent".

I think I have the entire set at this point and use the heck out of them. The larger round files are particularly good on fillets.

Great tip guys. I'm getting one of these.

Great tip guys. I'm getting one of these.
I bought my line up of Perma-Grit Tools from Aircraft Spruce. The sanding block shown above is coarse on one side and fine on the other.

https://www.aircraft-spruce.com/search/search.php

Type in "Perma-Grit" on the search line and Bob's yer uncle.

Be advised these tools are far from cheap. Worth it but not cheap.

Better advice has never been given!!! Actually 8 or 12 might be a better number. You will use them all at some point!

Absolutely Handeman!
Cutting Centering rings and bulkheads should always be Stack Cut. it's even possible to stack different thickness and various materials while cutting a single size ring regardless of rocket power level.

Centering Rings-c-sm_stack cut var. materials 2pic_06-20-05.jpg

Back