Above and Beyond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarhead

Reaction score
After typing the title I realized this sounds like a build thread, actually I am giving credit where it is most certainly due. It's a long story but one worth telling.
My daughter built this beauty for her L1 certification;
Chelsea_1.jpg
Madcow Tembo with a bovine theme and a certain "French" sounding name. Her cert flight was successful but the airframe has since zippered twice and she doesn't want to repair it again.
A week or so before MWP 12 I see a TRF member thinning his fleet and couldn't help but notice a "GIZMOOO" on the block. We struck a deal and he agreed to deliver to MWP for my daughter. We built a motor and set her new cow-craft aloft.
IMG_7490.jpg
It was a GREAT launch. The recovery was another story as it came in hot. The original owner and builder, Eric C saw it land and pointed us in the right direction. We were heading back for reinforcements and Eric showed up to help retrieve. He had a long drive but insisted he would help for a bit and get us better direction. When we eventually found the GIZMOO it was entirely underground and we needed a Trojanowski retrieval tool to extract it.
Eric and I have stayed in touch over the past months and he has said repeatedly how badly he feels for Chelsea's loss. Of course he had no impact (pun intended) on the success or failure of that flight but he felt the loss as well.
On New Years Eve I came home from work to a box that looked like it contained rocket components. I searched my internal database and couldn't recall any Black sale items I hadn't already received.
Inside were all the required components for a 5-inch Jart and personalized instructions from Eric to Chelsea.
This TRF member and all-around good guy certainly did not need to, but he took the time to help Chelsea and made her a VERY happy young lady.
Eric, I really appreciate what you've done. I wanted to tell you that publicly.
I am certain I am not the first to receive this kind of unbridled generosity. I know I won't be the last as I will pay this forward to another new BAR when the opportunity arises.
I wanted to thank the entire rocketry community for all of the encouragement and help I have received in the past 18 months since rediscovering model rocketry and discovering HPR. You are all phenomenally patient with new guys like me.
One final note. Eric, you're the best. Hope to see you soon.
Tom "jarhead" Maulsby

Eric C is an all around good guy, and I am honored to call him friend. Plus he makes GREAT sparkies!!

Out of all the hobbies I've done rocketry has the friendliest and most generous crowd. Nice job Eric.

hammerhead.jpg

Congrats on your daughter’s successful C1 flight but you failed to mention how old she is and what motor she used.

That really is very nice. Rocketry in general has some really nice and generous people involved.

Eric is indeed a nice dude. It still amazes me how generous a good portion of rocketeers are.

hammerhead.jpg

Congrats on your daughter’s successful C1 flight but you failed to mention how old she is and what motor she used.

She was 16 at the time and flew a CTI H242 to 2100 feet at Thunderstruck 5. Missed the "pond" in the middle of a cornfield by less than 30 feet!
For her 17th birthday we got her L2 kit. She is going to use the Jart for L2 now.
She leaves for college in one short year, how time flies....

She was 16 at the time and flew a CTI H242 to 2100 feet at Thunderstruck 5. Missed the "pond" in the middle of a cornfield by less than 30 feet!
For her 17th birthday we got her L2 kit. She is going to use the Jart for L2 now.
She leaves for college in one short year, how time flies....

I sure wish my kids (and my wife for that matter) shared my love of rocketry. Alas, I am the sole person in my family addicted to rockets.

You are a lucky man to be able to share that with your daughter!

Mike

I sure wish my kids (and my wife for that matter) shared my love of rocketry. Alas, I am the sole person in my family addicted to rockets.

Mike

+100..............

Teddy

Hey! Ironically I just found this thread due to searching for photos of the Gizmooo! Thanks Tom...looking forward to seeing you and Chelsea at Midwest Power!!!!

-Eric C-

Mike

Yes indeed I am. Chelsea is all grown up. She left for Missouri S&T in September and is chasing her dream of becoming an Architectural Engineer. She is doing well at school, she's even been invited to join the design and build team for their ESRA project.
Her L2 was a great success last December, landed 50 yards from the rocket hauler for an easy recovery. She ground tested her L3 rocket last weekend and it will fly at MWP in November (weather cooperation request inserted here).
Man they grow up fast.
Gotta go before I flood my iPad
Tom

This whole thread is awesome. What a great read.

And I thought I was the only one who remembered Space: Above and Beyond. I was so sorry that show didn't continue. On right around the same time was another really good sci-fi show, Earth 2.

Back