Eggtimer TRS Programming

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Okay, my boy and I have put together the Christmas TRS and LCD, and everything seems to be going (mostly)smoothly.
I can pair the TRS to the LCD.
I can walk through the preflight setup.
I can set both channels to OFF - given it's not in a rocket yet.
I can get into chirping flight mode and read the Lat/Lon off the LCD.
And it's even right!
I've got it connected to the PC.
I've done the master memory reset, as directed for first time use. (Twice)

The only think I can't seem to do is to set the name of the TRS. It comes up as 16 solid block characters in both PuTTY and the LCD. I can't backspace over it. It won't accept text. I'm a bit puzzled, and wonder if it's a sign we messed something up.

Anyone else seen this? (No I haven't Cris a note yet. I'll copy this post over to an email RSN)

Go into the frequency/name screen, hit the "C" key to change the name, and hit a bunch of backspace keys until it stops. There's a bug in 1.4K that puts the cursor in the wrong place if a name has never been set; it's fixed in 1.4L (soon to be released).

Also, some terminal programs send a DEL character (0x7F) when you hit the Backspace key, it needs to be a real ASCII backspace (0x08). Most terminal programs allow you to configure this, OR you can simply hit CTRL-H to force an ASCII backspace character. If you hit the Backspace key and nothing happens, try CTRL-H.

I've bugged Chris a bunch, so I'll throw it out there to the community. When my LCD links to my TRS it displays EggFinder GPS 4K. Is there an update I need for it to read TRS like the manual says? Any suggestions on LCD push button solutions for access outside the box?
Thanks

You mean like this?
Simple momentary close from radio shack.
(I don't intend to fly with the 9V - it was just handy)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419990104.648967.jpg

Mick,

When it reads the GPS 4k line that's it, They are paired!
Mine came with the latest firmware which is 1.09d or something like that.

You need that program switch on the under side of the LCD.
Hold it down for 7 sec , release then it will beep.

To do a master reset requires the computer connection.
I just did that today. Once you figure out that the wire pin out goes
From closest to the antenna side: Grn /Wht/ Blk wires in that order.

It's pretty quick unless you are a Apple person... :wink:

JD

I've bugged Chris a bunch, so I'll throw it out there to the community. When my LCD links to my TRS it displays EggFinder GPS 4K. Is there an update I need for it to read TRS like the manual says? Any suggestions on LCD push button solutions for access outside the box?
Thanks

Please add GPS only mode for the TRS???

JD

Go into the frequency/name screen, hit the "C" key to change the name, and hit a bunch of backspace keys until it stops. There's a bug in 1.4K that puts the cursor in the wrong place if a name has never been set; it's fixed in 1.4L (soon to be released).

Also, some terminal programs send a DEL character (0x7F) when you hit the Backspace key, it needs to be a real ASCII backspace (0x08). Most terminal programs allow you to configure this, OR you can simply hit CTRL-H to force an ASCII backspace character. If you hit the Backspace key and nothing happens, try CTRL-H.

It's pretty quick unless you are a Apple person... :wink:

JD[/QUOTE]

I figured it out all by myself Jeff ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1420036212.486060.jpg

Please add GPS only mode for the TRS???

JD

If you turn off both deployment channels, that's what you'll get, except you'll get the baro altitude rather than the GPS altitude on the display. You can skip the pairing stage, just wait for the slow beep on the TRS that indicates that it's looking for the cable connection before turning on your LCD receiver.

Ok, Thanks!

JD

If you turn off both deployment channels, that's what you'll get, except you'll get the baro altitude rather than the GPS altitude on the display. You can skip the pairing stage, just wait for the slow beep on the TRS that indicates that it's looking for the cable connection before turning on your LCD receiver.

I thought I had a problem up until I took it outside...
It found lock within minutes..

Blutooth GPS phone app didn't work but, Rocket locator did.

JD

I thought I had a problem up until I took it outside...
It found lock within minutes..

Blutooth GPS phone app didn't work but, Rocket locator did.

JD

JD,

This the app you talking about? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

Works ok on my Nexus 7 but I unlocked and rooted my device. Had to enable "Allow Mock GPS Provider" and "Allow Mock Locations". The Alow Mock Locations is under the system setup of my device and called developer options.

I don't know if one "has to have" an unlocked and/or rooted device in order to have "Allow Mock GPS Provider" to work. If one uses an Android phone with internet access, Bluetooth GPS will give you a map where the rocket is at. Only problem it won't show you where you're at, at the same time so it isn't that helpful for active navigation. One thing this program is good for is it will tell one which and how many satellites the EggFinder is using. More a benefit if one is using the receiver without the LCD display. GPS Bluetooth Provider can give some interesting information like fix quality number 1 is using GPS only and number 2 is WAAS is also being utilized.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps&hl=en Kurt

Last edited:
It unlocks the phone but, wasn't aware you had to use mock location.
Not rooted right now as... I gave up on it with all the back and forth BS.

Rocket Locator does force close when you try to do somethings.
Do I need to change the GPS format to work with other programs or stock settings in the TRS?

JD

JD,

This the app you talking about? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en

Works ok on my Nexus 7 but I unlocked and rooted my device. Had to enable "Allow Mock GPS Provider" and "Allow Mock Locations". The Alow Mock Locations is under the system setup of my device and called developer options.

I don't know if one "has to have" an unlocked and/or rooted device in order to have "Allow Mock GPS Provider" to work. If one uses an Android phone with internet access, Bluetooth GPS will give you a map where the rocket is at. Only problem it won't show you where you're at, at the same time so it isn't that helpful for active navigation. One thing this program is good for is it will tell one which and how many satellites the EggFinder is using. More a benefit if one is using the receiver without the LCD display. GPS Bluetooth Provider can give some interesting information like fix quality number 1 is using GPS only and number 2 is WAAS is also being utilized.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps&hl=en Kurt

It unlocks the phone but, wasn't aware you had to use mock location.
Not rooted right now as... I gave up on it with all the back and forth BS.

Rocket Locator does force close when you try to do something.
Do I need to change the GPS format to work with other programs or stock settings in the TRS?

JD

I don't believe one needs to change the GPS format to get it to work. I don't have an issue with the TRS and GPS Rocket Locator. I do have to go into the setup of GPSRL and tell it to use the HC-06 device for the datastream of the rocket. I do have a problem sometimes that GPS Rocket Locator doesn't get a fix right away even with a good datastream. Also, I have a "dorked" EggFinder I salvaged with a Ublox GPS receiver. Originally dropped the board and the Maestro GPS antenna snapped right off the base. GPS Rocket Locator sometimes takes it's ever loving time getting a fix to come up too. Sometimes I have to shut the Nexus 7 down and reboot to get it to work. I don't get ticked off because the software is free. The "squirrelliness" with GPS Rocket Locator is the main reason I heavily recommend a
"backup" plan such as the LCD receiver and the ability to input lat/long into another device or program. I believe Cris has that same mindset also. I suspect he's
been burned as I have when our "primary" tracking modality takes a dump in mid-use. Oh, the least amount of "squirrelliness" I've observed with GPS Rocket Locator is with a stock EggFinder.

I did find out something yesterday with the app "Bluetooth GPS Provider" that takes the incoming B/T GPS stream and does a little analysis with it. With a stock EggFinder, it works fine. With the TRS program doesn't open. No big deal, it's free software. The "Bluetooth GPS" application works with the TRS or the Eggfinder. ("Bluetooth GPS Provider" and "Bluetooth GPS" are two separate Android apps.)

I play with Linux a lot so when I got my Nexus 7, I looked up rooting and unlocking. Also use the Cyanogen Mod to change the base operating system slightly.
I have to go back to the help files I have an an Ubuntu drive when I want to monkey with it as it's hard to remember all the details. Yeah, you're right, it's a real PITA but I can have more than one OS image on the memory.

With a Mobilnkd TNC and APRS Droid I can do Beeline GPS tracking on the Nexus 7 but a D72/Garmin 60Cs is more stable and feature filled for APRS rocket tracking. Kurt

Has anyone else tried the pyro test via USB cable?
I can get the Main to fire but, can't seem to get the apogee to fire???

I just tested it and can confirm this:
The manual says to hit the "B" key

It Should be the "D" key as in Drogue???

Just some refinement in the manual.

JD

Last edited:
Has anyone else tried the pyro test via USB cable?
I can get the Main to fire but, can't seem to get the apogee to fire???

I just tested it and can confirm this:
The manual says to hit the "B" key

It Should be the "D" key as in Drogue???

Just some refinement in the manual.

JD

Yes, it's "D" for "Drogue".

It was "B" for "Channel B" in the original Eggtimer, which is what the code base (and a lot of the documentation) is based on. I'll fix the docs.

In my original post where I mentioned it, it did not work while hitting "B".
That was the purpose of post #18.
It did NOT work.

I went back and reread the instructions; I realized that it must have been "D" as the way it was meant to be in the instructions .
After I tested it again and hitting "D" and it worked, I edited the post to reflect the findings.

JD

Yeah, but did the Drogue fire when JD hit "B"?:confused2: Kurt :wink:

In my original post where I mentioned it, it did not work while hitting "B".
That was the purpose of post #18.
It did NOT work.

I went back and reread the instructions; I realized that it must have been "D" as the way it was meant to be in the instructions .
After I tested it again and hitting "D" and it worked, I edited the post to reflect the findings.

JD

Yeah, I thought it didn't work for you initially. I got my ear burned doing an augmented igniter test with an Arts2 connected to a laptop. It popped, flew up and hit me inside the ear. I was able to deflect it with the wire and my arm somewhat but still got hit. I prefer the "remote" option Cris has for that now. Man that burn hurt. Had to deal with "crusties" (scabs) for a month. Kurt:shock:

That is why I test with Christmas tree bulbs....
It also saves on e-matches or whatever the new PC term for them is :eyeroll:

JD

Yeah, I thought it didn't work for you initially. I got my ear burned doing an augmented igniter test with an Arts2 connected to a laptop. It popped, flew up and hit me inside the ear. I was able to deflect it with the wire and my arm somewhat but still got hit. I prefer the "remote" option Cris has for that now. Man that burn hurt. Had to deal with "crusties" (scabs) for a month. Kurt:shock:

Has anyone else that uses Putty, been able to download the data to a CSV file for plotting?
If so How do you get Putty to output the data file?

I can download the flight but doesn't seem to spit out a data file.

JD

That is why I test with Christmas tree bulbs....
It also saves on e-matches or whatever the new PC term for them is :eyeroll:

JD

The ematches were "roll your own" and augmented for motor ignition. That was the purpose of the testing to see how they worked.
They weren't commercial matches that were being wasted. For simple channel testing bulbs or LEDs are just fine. Kurt

Back