Tonimus's L1 Madcow Patriot build "FINISHED!"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Connor, they're hosted on Flickr. Are you behind a firewall that doesn't allow access to Flickr? (usually flagged as a depository or filesharing site.)

Connor, they're hosted on Flickr. Are you behind a firewall that doesn't allow access to Flickr? (usually flagged as a depository or filesharing site.)

IDK what happened but i see them now?!?! Great work. Good luck on the cert flight :)

I just realized I hadn't posted clear coated pictures in this thread! For shame! These are done in a matte automotive clear. I had an actual body shop spray it, as I don't have the gun or a booth to spray in.

Thank you! I just changed the nose weight position. Found an old small block main bearing bolt, just about the right length to move the adjustable part of the weight forward about 2 inches.

I got my L1 cert reload Saturday. I couldn't help myself, as I needed the complete assembled motor to do a final balance and adjust the nose weight. I also got an E16 for a Leviathan too. These were the first reloads I've ever done. I was glad I did it at home.

Here's the sim. 600 feet on the H-180W.

Quick question - are you going to fly that DD for your cert flight? 600' is pretty low altitude for a DD rocket.

I am. My last DD rocket test, the drogue popped at an apogee of 340 feet, 200 feet for the main.

Guess I missed this many months ago, but what a fantastic finish!

Is that just primer red or do you have a color for it?

Red primer. That's one of the reasons why I cleared the rocket when I was done.

On the fin can the one inch vertical beige and white band isn't that the actually how they mount it on the aircraft. Kinda of like a rail launcher?

No, it's a conduit for the wiring for the aft end.

Guess I missed this many months ago, but what a fantastic finish!

Thank you, PyroBob. She got retired after a VERY hard landing. Even crunched a bit, the finish is still nice enough for display. This is what I stuck the L1 motor I got from you in to get my cert.

Be careful. That looks so much like a real Patriot that you might get arrested! :wink: Excellent work.

Someday, I may do a full size with a boat tail and real conduit...

Can you tell us some of the details about your L1 flight? I'm considering using an H144 for my L1 but it only sims to 700', which is making me nervous. Was your hard landing a consequence of the low altitude?

Got the filler primer coat sanded down and I'm pretty happy with it overall. There's always going to be "issues" that one isn't happy with when they are building, but it's okay.

Got some color shot today. Starting to look the part.

sorry to resurrect this thread, and sorry I don't have a bunch of time to search through text, but am curious what color is that?

nice bird!

fm

FM,

That is red oxide primer. I cleared over with matte clear to protect it.

FM, I could've repaired it at the expense of the paint job. I retired the bird, salvaged all I could, now it is just a display.

AfterBurners, I used a variable nose weight system and I balanced it ready to fly with one caliber of stability. That weight changed depending on the motor size.

Back