How Much Snow'd you get?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got down below 50*, everyone is wearing winter clothing! Interesting pictures, now I understand the comment "You don't have to shovel sunshine".

Coming from Rochester NY I try to explain Lake Effect Snow... but ya gotta see it to believe it. 1/2 mile or less and its sunny. Or it's a white out.

gotta love buffalo. Clear on one street, 2 miles away, 3-4 feet. I'm in Lancaster. We're pinned down.

103.3 the edge shared this photo of the storm rolling in. This kids, is what lake effect snow looks like.
15635058927_0cc2678b45.jpg

that is an awesome picture!

I think I could import snow via UPS and still make a profit. Red Flag fire danger warnings and the worse drought for three years straight. Think I'm gonna go mow the dirt as the grass died years ago and I think my huge trees are about to give it up too. You can't even wash your car in the front yard anymore with the 'water-nazis' on patrol. I blame Al Gore and the Evil Axis of Aliens who want this planet for themselves......

Coming from Rochester NY I try to explain Lake Effect Snow... but ya gotta see it to believe it. 1/2 mile or less and its sunny. Or it's a white out.

Here's one from a plane.... For those that have never seen it, that storm streams off the lake and hits a narrow band like a freight train running over the town. Above and below....nothing.
15201429874_145e89a4d8_c.jpg

A fellow in Buffalo reports 5 feet of snow this morning.

Weird situation there with some getting almost none and others up to 5 feet.

#Weather

Here's one from a plane.... For those that have never seen it, that storm streams off the lake and hits a narrow band like a freight train running over the town. Above and below....nothing.
15201429874_145e89a4d8_c.jpg

we have a similar occurrence here with rain. it is cool to see it coming in off the ocean.

but the snow is much more visible.

She wouldn't go near the door. Don't blame her.
This is a few hours later. I had shoveled this deck clear, thats a six foot fence, and my van...shot out my second story window...

15635857937_2558c43faf.jpg
15635221339_0b09aa8130.jpg
15821037875_68fe4bd3bf.jpg
15635858867_960fdfe4a7.jpg

I hope you have a BIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG Snow Blower. I woulda had a hard time with that much all at once with my tractor mounted blower!
Or a buddy with plow truck at least!
Hope the Fridge is full and the electric stays on for you.
Keep us posted please. This could get bad for you folks real quick.

fridge is full, lights and gas are on. They've already got the roads snowblown to a single lane. Roads will be clear by morning. It'll take a bit longer to get the driveway clear. Plows are useless in this. gonna be a shovel job.
15799315286_fa0e60cb91.jpg
15637800027_c74760322b.jpg

Last edited:
They've already said that folks in lake affect snow areas, will probably experience flooding issues when this mess melts. IF it ever melts. Last year, there were quite a few folks interviewed that said they had had enough of it. And moving south was likely. I bet those same folks that didn't make a move, might just do so this time around.

Last year was just a looooong winter.

As for flooding, it's going to be 60 next week, and over freezing all week. get the boats out

Whoa. That's some crazy snow. I grew up near Niagara Falls ON and saw that a few times. Not often though.
Now I'm on the wet coast of Canada and if I want snow, I can drive a bit and find it. That works for me.

Thanks for the pics Diz. Glad your getting dug out, lake effect snow machine is turned on here this morning.
Looking at some of the houses in your pics. I'm guessing you live in a Heritage Neighborhood?
Hope you got some help with shoveling too, that's way too much for one person to do.

Thanks for the pics Diz. Glad your getting dug out, lake effect snow machine is turned on here this morning.
Looking at some of the houses in your pics. I'm guessing you live in a Heritage Neighborhood?
Hope you got some help with shoveling too, that's way too much for one person to do.

I'm sure it's got historical tags or some such, but it's the Village of Lancaster NY. Many homes are 80-120 years old. Some show it.... Some are epic.

No snow here, but we did get a tiny bit more much-needed rain. It looks like about half the country is getting snow.

After a day the snow is gone. Back to normal texas winters: a frigid 50-60 degrees!
:p

lil bit. This was this morning. We've gotten about another 6" or so. Not gonna stop snowing for another day. We're not going anywhere for a day or two.

15200748083_efd0bd9240.jpg
15634368279_021b94e897.jpg
15820191895_55fd41f985.jpg
15634774528_54b2b205e5.jpg

Ya know...when I was a toddler, maybe a bit older than the one in the pic, I has visions of having snowfalls deep enough to tunnel through. It seemed like an interesting fantasy at a tender age. Boring holes through the snow like a mole. Making avenues like the ants do. A fond memory. Little did I know what the other side of that coin looked like. Today, that concept could be a reality! And it's frightening!

My heart goes out to all of you affected by this hellish storm. Houses have started to cave in, you are glued into your homes, and the worst has yet to come. When this starts to melt, and refreezes....that's pretty much a lock down.

Just know, my heart goes out to you. Living up north is becoming treacherous, and I couldn't blame you if you wanted to move. Even though you have the best restaurants in the country, It's all about family and survival. God speed to all of you.

Back