New Star Trek Enterprise

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
Well, the photo is out. Here is NCC-1701 from the new movie.

What do you guys think?

As a guy who grew up on Star Trek in the 60's I think its UGLY!

Any other trek fans have an opinion?

Mark

enterprise579_l.jpg

Being a trek fan I find that this version of the ncc 1701 is in one that would do gene rodenberry proud...

I think it needs to be updated and look a bit sleeker and more modern.

The new star trek stinks.

I'll take my Wrath of Khan over any other star trek ever made!

Growing up on the Star Trek series, I'm used to the old version. However, knowing that the movie was "re-inventing" the franchise, I expected this to happen. It could have been worse I guess. I can live with it.

I think anything that keeps the series going. I would like to see more of the prequel stuff.

Then again, i would like to see what heppened after Star Wars VI.

I think the Enterprise-A was quite possibly the best looking Starship ever designed for any TREK incarnation, but the original 60's model was a close second.

Why not just go back to that original design, and deepen the level of detail that would be required for a feature film?

Or does that make too much sense?

Why not just go back to that original design, and deepen the level of detail that would be required for a feature film?

Does to me....and I was thinking the same way.

I think the Enterprise-A was quite possibly the best looking Starship ever designed for any TREK incarnation, but the original 60's model was a close second.

It doesn't seem that hard to me. I was getting excited about this movie, until I saw the bridge, heard some plot points, and now this. Looks like I will wait for the DVD on Netflix.

Mark

Well, the photo is out. Here is NCC-1701 from the new movie.

What do you guys think?

As a guy who grew up on Star Trek in the 60's I think its UGLY!

Any other trek fans have an opinion?

Mark

By the way Mach, where did you find this picture? Inquiring minds want to know!

If they made the front of the nacelles glow that orange/red color, it would be a perfect feature film prequel version.

I think it's hideous, and yes, I grew up with the original, but also really like the movie A version.

They are chucking out the "canon," which I suppose is fine, so they are ignoring the B-E versions and starting from scratch. They aren't attempting to make it look "older" than the B. To be honest, the original is such a great design, any attempts to change it just for the sake of changing it, seem just to mess it up.

To me it looks like a collection of parts that doesn't fit together: the saucer is basically identical to the movie version; the primary hull and pylons are all curvy; and the engine nacelles are bulbous and weird looking. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to me.

Drew

tquigg,

It has been released on EW.com

https://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/11/star-trek-first.html

The trailer is out today with the new bond film, So I guess they released the photo at the same time.

Someone in another forum who is working on the new film has confirmed that that is the new NCC-1701.

STRman, I'm told the bussard collectors will have an orange glow but in this photo the engines are shut down.

Mark

If they made the front of the nacelles glow that orange/red color, it would be a perfect feature film prequel version.

In my best Napoleon Dynamite voice:

The're only on Impulse power!....Jeeeze!:rotflol:

If you really REALLY wanted to see the “original” Star Trek Enterprise, then take a look at the Daedalus class ships here:

https://www.starfleet-museum.org/daedalus.htm

There were various original design ideas, but that was the first one to have the classic crew section, engineering section, and twin engine nacelles. Notably instead of a saucer section, it had a sphere.

In the series ending finale of TNG, “All Good Things”, the medical starship commanded by Captain Beverly Picard was named the “Pasteur”, of the “Olympic class”. It’s design in the series finale was a nod to honor the original, with the spherical section, even if the engineering section was way different than the simple cylinder and the engine nacelles were more of the TNG-era style.

https://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/fleet/olympic.htm

- George Gassaway

ufp-daedalus.jpg

pasteur-model1.jpg

pasteur-model2.jpg

I agree with you. There's far too much "re-imagining" going on in Hollywood these days.

Mario

I voted 'love it'. It seems a nice facelift for a new movie while keeping the general lines of the original.

If you really REALLY wanted to see the “original” Star Trek Enterprise, then take a look at the Daedalus class ships here:

https://www.starfleet-museum.org/daedalus.htm

There were various original design ideas, but that was the first one to have the classic crew section, engineering section, and twin engine nacelles. Notably instead of a saucer section, it had a sphere.

In the series ending finale of TNG, “All Good Things”, the medical starship commanded by Captain Beverly Picard was named the “Pasteur”, of the “Olympic class”. It’s design in the series finale was a nod to honor the original, with the spherical section, even if the engineering section was way different than the simple cylinder and the engine nacelles were more of the TNG-era style.

https://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/utopia/fleet/olympic.htm

- George Gassaway

The first one looks like it could easily be modeled with a Styrofoam ball, a sports water bottle and a few tubes.

From what I hear, the "old timers" on the forum remember the USS Enterprise looking like this - during the original series:

USS Enterprise

LMBO!!!

Wait a sec, while I get ready...

OK, here it goes ------ what's the difference between this version and the other ones?

Shields Up!!!

............................:tomato:

Mark \\.

Mario Perdue wrote:

>>>>>
There's far too much "re-imagining" going on in Hollywood these days.
<<<<<

I take it you’ve not watched the new Battlestar Galactica?

Of course, Star Trek was not messed-up from day one like the original Galactica. But still it is incredible what was done in re-imagining the original Galactica to what the new version is. If this new Trek movie does half as good a job with the re-imagining as Galactica, it’ll be great thing.

- George Gassaway

The new GALACTICA has it's pros and cons. It is hands down one of the best shows on TV, but it is also quite the radical departure from the original, and is at times, so heavy handed and dark that it almost becomes a chore to sit through. At least the original I can enjoy with my kids.

I'm hoping they don't feel the need to "darken" our beloved STAR TREK....when something works, leave it alone...

I give it a solid "Meh". Like others here, I have extremely mixed feelings. I like the uniforms (the miniskirts are back!) but the cast looks too young IMHO, and the bridge looks like the Apple Store.

After Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home I swore I'd never buy another ticket to see a Trek movie. Can't decide yet if the Abrams' Trek will change my mind.

I'll be expecting Spock to slice people's heads open with his telekinesis and eat their brains in every scene. He's no Hero ya know. :rolleyes:

spock-quinto_l.jpg

From that picture it looks like they even had to mess with Spock's ears. They look more like bat-wings than proper Vulcan physiology-

Back