1.7x UpScale Estes SkyWriter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peartree

One of my boys has an Estes Skywriter that despite its simplicity flies really well. Actually it almost flies too well, that’s why he’s on his second rocket since we watched the first fly over the trees at our launch site when he decided to try a C motor. Anyway, since he likes it so much I have thought that it would be neat if I could build one that took D size motors and higher, basically a MPR Skywriter. I took dimensions and drew up a simple dimensioned drawing for myself, then I entered all of these dimensions into Excel and scaled then by various factors based on available tube sizes. I figured that to jump up one motor size, I should jump up one major tube size so since the original is a BT50, I started with BT60 and I am still thinking about a 29mm BT70 or BT80 version.

Most of the parts are easily available and in fact, I had most of them on hand from various projects and leftovers fro the Box-o-parts contest. The nosecone was another story. I don’t have a lot of those just lying around and this would be bigger than most anything I had built before. I exchanged emails with Gordon Agnello (aka Sandman) and he quoted me prices for both the BT60 version as well as the BT80 version. I decided that for now I was going to stick to the smaller one but maybe I’ll do the BT80 over the winter or sometime next year.

After I received the nosecone I sanded out the few remaining toolmarks on this beautiful piece of wood with 300 grit sandpaper and used a foam brush to lay on three or four coats of spar varnish. I should mention at this point, that when Sandman found out I was building an upscale Skywriter, he offered to make the nosecone out of cedar instead of balsa if I wanted. We both thought that the wood grain on the cedar would work well for the pencil and so that’s why I used the spar varnish, both as a waterproofing agent (three coats is usually good for boat parts that spend a lot of time underwater so I should be safe) and to highlight the beautiful wood that Sandman picked out.

With most of the parts in one place, the nosecone varnished and the motor mount mostly assembled, it looked like this…

US Skywriter parts (small).jpg

I built a Fliskits style baffle from balsa leftover from our build of the Fliskits Whatchamacallit for Cub Scouts and then had trouble getting the baffle into the tube without the glue locking it in place before I had it where I wanted it. I had to tear it apart to get it out once and almost a second time before I just cut the BT and installed it where I wanted it.

Once assembled, it looked like this...

Assembly (small).jpg

I built a Fliskits style baffle from balsa leftover from our build of the Fliskits Whatchamacallit for Cub Scouts and then had trouble getting the baffle into the tube without the glue locking it in place before I had it where I wanted it. I had to tear it apart to get it out once and almost a second time before I just cut the BT and installed it where I wanted it.

I got stuck for a while because my wife can’t stand the smell of paint in the house but I worked several evening when she was way for the weekend and got it all painted. Finally I bought a new Skywriter so I could scan the stickers, scaled them up using Irfanview and printed my own decals.

Here is the final product next to its little brother…

View attachment US Skywriter Finished (small).JPG

Here is my son and I with our Skywriters

Skywriter Big and Little (small).jpg

And one more of my other son just because this face is priceless...

The Face (small).jpg

I was going to fly this last Saturday but got called into work while on the way to the Cleveland Skybusters launch site. Hopefully we'll get there in the next couple weeks.

BTW, here is the Rocksim file for this, at least as far as I got before my 30 day trial expired, but it should be pretty much complete.

View attachment 1.68x US Estes Skywriter.rkt

I got stuck for a while because my wife can’t stand the smell of paint in the house but I worked several evening when she was way for the weekend and got it all painted. Finally I bought a new Skywriter so I could scan the stickers, scaled them up using Irfanview and printed my own decals.

Here is the final product next to its little brother…

View attachment 58601

Here is my son and I with our Skywriters

View attachment 58604

And one more of my other son just because this face is priceless...

View attachment 58605

Looks GREAT, John. Should be a terrific flyer. That nose cone by Sandman is beautiful. Let us know how she flies.

Nice looking pencil John. My son has been bugging me to upscale one to a 4" dia version. Maybe over the winter. Post some launch pictures when you fly it.

After I made that cone my wife walked into my shop and asked if I was sharpening pencils.

I told her no not pencils...just one big pencil!

I liked that smell!:D

It is a beautiful piece of wood and it did smell nice while I was sanding it.
:D

Thanks Sandman.

thats nice! the skywriter was my sons "first",still his favorite.I showed him this post,he loved it!

Well, since this thread...I have to make a trip to the lumber yard...gotta get more cedar!:D

So nobody is making a hexagon body?

That wouldn't be hard to do.
And a DIXON TICONDEROGA decal.

Peartree,

What's the overall length of you completed Upscale Skywriter? The reason I ask is you rocksim has the nose cone length at 7.9670, and the cone I got from Sandman is 9 3/8". I'm guessing it should be around 44 1/4" long since the Estes Sky Writer is 26" long.

Thanks

Peartree,

What's the overall length of you completed Upscale Skywriter? The reason I ask is you rocksim has the nose cone length at 7.9670, and the cone I got from Sandman is 9 3/8". I'm guessing it should be around 44 1/4" long since the Estes Sky Writer is 26" long.

Thanks

The tapered part is 7.967", There is a 1.6" straight section above the shoulder that's what makes it come out to 9 3/8" long.

I scaled it from an original cone.

Another kit that would sell. I would like to do a 4 inch upscale.

Back