Level 1 plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breeze1913

Reaction score
I've decided to build my level 1 rocket from scratch.
I've successfully flown several scratch built rockets on hobbyline RMS; up to and including F39.
I appreciate any comments and feedback. Also, if anyone from SSS catches this thread & wants to be a witness for me, I'd appreciate it.
Though still undecided, I'm leaning towards all wood glue construction, and 3/16 basswood for the fins.

View attachment Trojan.rkt

I don't have Rocksim so I can't look at your design, but I always recommend scratch building. That is what I did and I used all wood glue constructions.

Not sure about basswood, but I know 1/4" 5 ply plywood will work just fine.

Good luck

Though still undecided, I'm leaning towards all wood glue construction, and 3/16 basswood for the fins.

You would get much greater strength and durability from 1/8" ply with only a minor weight penalty, that is if you have a means to cut ply. Or you can order a laser cut set from several manufacturers on the forum.

Tasty Chicken & Reaper: I will send you a PM here in a little bit.

I'm hoping to fly on May 10th. I think the only challenge will be making sure I have the motor. I already have a 29/240 case with closures. I'll most likely go for a H97j-10.

The design looks good. I like the fins. I did notice you have 1/4" kevlar and 1/8" kevlar would work fine for a rocket this size. I changed some of the launch conditions to see what effect the wind might have on the flight. You do get some pretty good arc over but nothing to dramatic. This was in a 12-14mph wind. Overall looks great. Heck I might "borrow the design" and make one for myself!!

:D

Not sure about basswood, but I know 1/4" 5 ply plywood will work just fine.

That is total overkill for an L1 of this size at too much of a weight penalty. I used 1/4" on 4" rockets flying on large K motors! 1/8" or 3/16" should be more than fine. 3/16" only necessary for better durability on landing.

One suggestion: I'd go with rail buttons instead of lugs. For me, any rocket that flies on H or above motors is better with buttons. Rods can have great tendency for rod-whip and I've witnessed several bad things happen with lugs, decent sized rockets, and L1 motors. Besides, rail buttons are a little more forgiving when it comes to perfect alignment.

MarkM - I am going with rail buttons. I forgot to change that in the plans before I posted 'em. I bought a rail at our last club launch "spring blast".

I decided to use 1/8" ply for the fins. The weight difference between the basswood & the ply was nominal. Besides, trying to get the grain to run out & away with the basswood just wasn't going to happen.

Here's some pics of what I've done so far: started on the motor mount
  1. Cut Centering Rings
  2. Dry Fit with airframe and MMT
  3. Checked measurements with fin template
  4. Sanded glasine coating from MMT
  5. Initial glue on top & middle centering ring

View attachment Trojan01.JPG

View attachment Trojan02.JPG

View attachment Trojan03.JPG

View attachment Trojan04.JPG

Where'd you get that circle cutter?

Rocket design looks great!

Mike

Looks great so far. What are you using for the body tubes? The simulation
file indicates you are using sections of Estes BT-70.

Jeff

sailmike - got the circle cutter from Amazon.com for six or seven bucks.

The body tubes are just regular BT-70 estes class stuff. From what I've read here, and been told, should be fine for this flight.

Don't happen to have a link or a description or name on that cutter at all do you?

Those circle cutters are kind of neat, but don't try to use one on a small drill press or hand drill they are off balanced.

I bought a cheap-o circle cutter at Harbor Freight (~6 bucks or so). Then went to Rockler and bought this one. Much better.

Baffle completed.
I did use epoxy to secure the screw eye into the top of the baffle. I screwed the eye into the top plate, removed, & put some epoxy into the wood, and covered the threads before screwing back into the top plate.
I also put a dab on top, and a dab on the inside of the baffle, where the screw eye top sticks penetrates out the other side.
There are also good double wood-glue fillets on both sides of the top baffle plate.

View attachment Trojan18.JPG

View attachment Trojan19.JPG

I also used epoxy to affix the nose cone to the upper body tube/parachute compartment. Obviously wood glue is not appropriate for the job, and epoxy may add just a wee bit of weight which is needed up top.

I used parachute cord for the shock cord on this rocket. I drilled a couple holes in the nose cone base, and used it as a secondary or backup, should the molded-in shock cord attachment fail.

View attachment Trojan20.JPG

View attachment Trojan21.JPG

Middle body tube section complete. Coupler on one end, and baffle glued into the top end. Whew, glad I got that part right, with the screw eye sticking out the top!

The MMT was sanded down @ each of the fin attachment points. MMT glued in place, tailcone was dry fitted while the glue dried overnight. Generous fillet applied to the inside of the airframe on the top centering ring. Once that's good and dry, a fillet will be applied to the middle centering ring on the inside of the airframe.

View attachment Trojan22.JPG

View attachment Trojan23.JPG

View attachment Trojan24.JPG

Tasty Chicken,
Yes please, I thought I did send you a response. Anyway, I'll send you another one.

Handeman - Those ain't rockets. Those are tap handles for my kegerator!
My daughter is holding a Custom Rockets "Venture".

Internal & external fillets completed.
Tailcone installed & upper tube installed.

All that's left now is the priming & painting. Hopefully I'll get to that tomorrow.

Looking good Breeze!:)

Can't wait to see it painted! Any wild schemes like Gold over Green?:lol:

Back