Estes Hawkeye 1.8 upscale w/18mm motor mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilltopper

Reaction score
I am making a trio of hawkeye's. I have an original estes kit 13mm and I have a Q-modeling MRS Hawkeye in early stages. I have the parts for another 13mm one ( thanks Styme ) and have just completed the build stages (still need paint) on a 1.8 upscale of the hawkeye. I didnt make any early build pics but have the pre paint pics here. The original is in the pic for scale.

I am looking into getting decals for them both.

I used Basswood for the fins they are so large I didn't want them to break.

Hilltopper, I've been following your other Hawkeye threads... Pretty cool stuff. I was already on my way to upscaling a Hawkeye to BT50. I figured it out to be a 1.79 upscale.

For any who are interested, here is the Rocksim file.

Originally posted by Starfire73
Hilltopper, I've been following your other Hawkeye threads... Pretty cool stuff. I was already on my way to upscaling a Hawkeye to BT50. I figured it out to be a 1.79 upscale.

For any who are interested, here is the Rocksim file.

Yea Styme helped me out on that one. We figured it up to be that and rounded up to 1.8. He also provided me with the nose cone for it as well.

By the way the original uses the same nose as the current Quark kit if you want a normal scale model.

I dont have rocksim where does it show the CP/CG to be on the BT 50 version?
the CG is almost centered in the 2 small forward fins on the original 13mm version I have.

These 2D Rocksim images will have your CP/CG, and a bunch of other helpful information for the BT50 version.

Without motor:

hawkeye_x1_79.jpg

With C6-5 motor:

hawkeye_x1_79b.jpg

Got to make her pretty with paint and stripes etc. I dont like to launch naked rockets.

what altitude does it say with a C6-5? also did you sim it with bass wood or balsa fins? I used basswood due to the wing size.

Originally posted by Hilltopper
what altitude does it say with a C6-5? also did you sim it with bass wood or balsa fins? I used basswood due to the wing size.

Simmed with Balsa. Altitudes are between 945' and 965' on a C6-5.

Originally posted by Hilltopper
I dont like to launch naked rockets.

I don't keep flying them naked... but, it's sort of a tradition around here that the first launch is naked.

I like it because if there's any major adjustments to make, errors to correct, or damage to fix, you haven't put all the finishing work in 'er yet. ...I think of it as a trial run before finishing.

I will change the materials to basswood in Rocksim for you when I get a chance, and let you know how things changed. Are you using 3/32"?

The Basswood version is simmin' out to between 810' and 837' on a C6-5.

I kept 0.2 oz of weight in the nose cone - it didn't appear to need a change in nose weight when going from Balsa to Basswood. We're still looking at sufficient stability.

Cool I Thought it would need a little nose weight . I don't mind a little lose of altitude if it stays in 1 piece and flies right.

I just made a 24mm version...

I deleted the 18mm mmt assembly, and just stuck an engine block in there (using a friction fit for the motor). I had to add a little bit more nose weight, making it a total of 0.3 oz added to the nose.

D12-5 reached a little over 1400'
C11-5 was only about 750'

Back