Zen and the Art of Cleaning Motor Cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
No, this isn't a motor case cleaning how-to. Just to get that out of the way.

Some people hate cleaning motor cases. It can be a pain in the rear, they can be stubborn, etc.

I like it. :)

I just spent the last hour or two cleaning my cases from my last launch. Sure, it was a week or two ago, but that's no big deal - they came out fine (which isn't the reason I'm posting.)

It's the whole "Zen" thing.

This morning, I got up quite early (as I usually do) and set about to clean my cases in the still and quiet. Bust out the range box with cleaning tools, baby wipes, extra trash bag, place mat, the whole nine yards. Quiet and peaceful, just me and my spent casings.

As I dis-assemble them and push and start extracting the trash and tapping out the loose residue, the first thing that trips the senses and kick-starts the whole "experience" is that spent AP smell. Not too strong, but distinctive and recognizeable. Sets me thinking back to and re-living the launch. The rocket on the pad, the morning breeze, the countdown, the big flame, smokey boost, an excellent flight. Cleaning the case then becomes a "labor of love" so-to-speak - redressing and polishing your mini-investment, like caring for and congratulating a trusty soldier after a job well done.

After a while of twisting and cleaning, I'm left with shiny clean cases, a vivid memory of the last launch, and a smile on my face. What a way to kick start the day! :cool:

Dang - can't remember the words to "Kumbayah"...lol

No, this isn't a motor case cleaning how-to. Just to get that out of the way.

Some people hate cleaning motor cases. It can be a pain in the rear, they can be stubborn, etc.

I like it. :)
So where can I ship my motor cases to help add to your Zen experience?;)

I understand completely. Sort of like me and sharpening my woodworking tools (plane irons and chisels) - many people hate doing it, I enjoy it. I guess I'm more of a "process guy" than a "results guy".

I feel the same way about cleaning my firearms after a day at the range...In fact I even volunteer to help clean ALL the fire arms after a range day (I'm military) I could delegate it but I enjoy the process and knowing that taking the time to do a good job now will ensure the weapon will work cleanly, smoothly and reliably should the worst happen and I actually need it.

the first thing that trips the senses and kick-starts the whole "experience" is that spent AP smell. Not too strong, but distinctive and recognizeable.

Funny how that works. The smell of black powder still triggers memories of going to launches with my Dad when I was a teenager, and then in college. The van always smelled of black powder as we were driving home (When packing up after the club's high power launch down in Lilly, we left a few spent estes cases out of the ammo box just to ensure that smell *grin*). Driving home is somehow more satisfying with that smell in the background :).

My "Zen" rocketry activity is wire-wrapping estes ignitors. "Back in the Day" I'd fly a variety of black powder clusters including Viper-IV, Land Viper, and the little wild thing, it seemed like I'd spend half the launch sitting in my lawn chair, watching rockets, and wrapping ignitors (8 per flight for the wild thing!). I'm sure it didn't take *that* long, but to me it's a very relaxing activity. Now that I flew the nest, but have recently returned to the area (a decade later), Dad and I are flying again, and there is a definate satisfaction in renewing some old traditions... Stopping at the cracker barrel on the way home from a High Power launch, the smell of black powder in the van, and wire-wrapping ignitors :). I saw an article about a really neat cluster ignition device called a "Spider", which would make setting up and launching our cluster models a snap, but I'm probably going to wire-wrap anyways, just for the "Zen" factor :).

-Rick (for whom AP is losing it's luster in favor of black powder clusters, though it is likely only a momentary setback ;) )

i just use a few baby wipes after a launch and it comes up spotless in mere seconds. No big deal. And its the same for all size cases.

i just use a few baby wipes after a launch and it comes up spotless in mere seconds. No big deal. And its the same for all size cases.

Agreed - I just use baby wipes too and it doesn't take too long. But that wasn't the point of the story. ;)

Agreed - I just use baby wipes too and it doesn't take too long. But that wasn't the point of the story. ;)

Easy now.....lets all get back to our happy place. See the closures, clean the closures, become the closures...uuuummmmmm! Very nice grasshopper, next week you wax my car!!

j/k - great story, I bet we all have our memory triggers, some are just a tad more sensitive about it:eek:

Tom

Hi Simon,

My ZEN, Black Powder;

I have a Remington new army cap and ball pistol, non regulated.

I pour in some GOEX FFF black powder, put a ball in place and press. Add some Crisco grease or lard to close off the chamber.

repeat, 4 times for a six shooter, and add the caps to the chamber nipples

Aim, Squeeze, BANG.. Smoke.. Smell...Smoke... more Smell..

WOW just like a D-12 flight of the HO-JO when I was 12 :D

And when the smoke clears, you get to see a hole in the Target, and get four more shots.

Back