Yikes... Looks like Blue Origin just had a booster failure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine William Shatner would have faired well with a 10+G burn.
Oh hell every time the Enterprise went to warp speed they were pulling well over 10 g’s and that was sitting in what appeared to be surprisingly uncomfortable chairs. 🤣🤣

@Pappy posted this Scott Manly video in a separate thread. It’s pretty good. Scott mentions that the acceleration from the abort motor would have been rough, but the rapid deceleration of the capsule afterward would have been pretty dangerous too.

Scott Manley also says something interesting which is that the flickering of the flame we see might be due to contaminants, which means something when fwhoom within the fuel system, maybe bits of the turbopump, and then frame by frame he shows that the side may have ruptured just as the capsule ejected. He also assumes the booster came down mostly intact (due to ongoing telemetry), but is now likely a twisted pile of parts on the desert floor. Too bad there was no camera to capture that crash.

i saw another vid which captured the capsule landing. it looked like a train wreck. i doubt anyone would have survived.

looking. i think it might have been a wall street journal blurb or usa today. unsure.

i saw another vid which captured the capsule landing. it looked like a train wreck. i doubt anyone would have survived.
Actually the capsule landing appeared nominal. The cloud of dust is the retros firing a split second before touchdown.
What I would like to see is the condition of the booster.

Jeff got a $199 million dollar tax refund last year, you can afford this stuff when you get out of paying your share of taxes, but all of your employees pay out their rear-ends.

I have seen a report that the booster was an earlier one that has never flown a crew.

As far as G's for the abort, keep in mind that the seats are somewhat "upright", to facilitate the view out of the big windows. So, the G load needs to be somewhat less than for a person seated on their back, facing up, as with most other crewed spacecraft. 10 G's or more vertically would cause people to black out and possibly serious back injuries. Though of course the blacking out would be temporary but could cause complications (and yes blacking out may well happen at 6 G's, but recovery sooner).

My model rocket is a Astro bee d that takes a 29 mm g-40-4w are u referring to my model rocket

Back