Windy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightme43

It's much later than it seems.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I found a super cool site on a rocketry club out west website. It is called www.windy.com
It has cloud layers levels, wind direction, wind speed, wind gusts. I expect almost everyone on here knows about it, but if you didn't, you will like it.

I have been checking it out, and using the inputs of wind speed in open rocket, and checking ground track based on launch angle, and motor choice. It has tons of information, especially if you select the metrogram format at the bottom of the page.

I expect the Bluesrocks Saturday launch to be a scratch. If they reschedule to the next weekend I will go to Elizabethtown depending on weather. If they don't, and MC2 has a launch I will go to Hopkinsville, but it looks like they don't start till the 3rd week in November. Memphis has a launch 3rd Saturday, and if we leave out early we can make it in 3hr and 50 minutes.

I am sure this happens to everyone. I really really really wanna launch my Cherokee E, Aspire, and Wolverine 2.6.
I am just chomping at the bit to build the 4" Nike Smoke. I believe I can do it right. I just don't want to make a stupid mistake, that I could learn not to make by testing my builds in real life launches. I can do the E and Aspire on D engines around here, but the odds of safe recovery are not great. I don't want to stare at my pretty rocket in a tree if I can avoid it.

Sorry to complain. It seems almost all the perfect days I am at work. LOL

Steve

I am old enough to control myself, but dang.

Wow !

Thanks for the Link, Steve !

That is a VERY kool site, especially since it lets me enter the Lat,Lon for various sites.

I have never seen it and I am still learning how it works but windy.com is now a prominent member of my rocketry bookmarks !

And ...

You're hooked, alright :)

Good luck with the weather and then your launches -- please post pictures and videos !

-- kjh

Last edited:
Back