Will having a wifi on/off for electronics be allowed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this. I am both NAR and Tripoli, but I haven't been to a launch outside of my two local clubs in KY since I was in college (and I didn't deal with electronics 20 years ago). I have 2 rockets that are head end deploy via an electronics bay in the nosecone. I have both fitting with a mini wifi switch from egg timer, so I just turn that on, close up the nosecone and then arm it with my phone at the pad. Nobody at any of my local launches has had a problem with this. And per Cris and the egg timer website there is output from his wifi devices until armed via the web interface. The wifi switches arm an apogee and a quark (both of which make noise and take time to arm for flight once powered on, so its not like you wouldn't know about it).

Anyway, would it be a problem to get to the RSO table with the wifi switch on but disarmed? Or will I need to dissemble and reassemble my nosecone at the pad? For my other rockets with electronics there is a screw switch in the switch band (even for my quantum), I just find it hard to have a reliably accessible switch in the nosecone.

This is not on official answer - but I fly the with host club(s) on a regular basis with Eggtimer Protons and Quantums. There are YouTube videos from on board cameras that show me chatting with the prefect (I think) while on the phone arming the altimeter. It won’t be a new thing for them.

I can't quote the specific language, but I believe it was Tripoli that initially issued an interpretation that electronics needed to be powered down with a mechanical switch. They later rescinded that interpretation and wifi switches are acceptable. Of course, your local club or RSO may enact their own interpretation or requirements.
I fly Eggtimer almost exclusively and have them powered on, unarmed, at the RSO table at my local club.

I have LOTS of egg stuff. Our local club allows WiFi switches, but ALL electronics MUST be off at the RSO table. So, no you would not be allowed to do it that way at our club.

I can't quote the specific language, but I believe it was Tripoli that initially issued an interpretation that electronics needed to be powered down with a mechanical switch. They later rescinded that interpretation and wifi switches are acceptable. Of course, your local club or RSO may enact their own interpretation or requirements.
I fly Eggtimer almost exclusively and have them powered on, unarmed, at the RSO table at my local club.

I should clarify: the altimeters are not "powered on" ... They are just connected to the battery.

Eggtimer altimeters with the switch on the deployments (Quantum, Proton, Quasar) have the deployment power OFF until 1) You explicitly arm the altimeter on the pad, AND 2) The altimeter has detected launch detect, AND 3) The first deployment event is triggered. It is safer than a "normal" altimeter that arms when you power it on while it's on the pad, because of #2 and #3. Note that those altimeters do not have a direct connection from the igniter to the battery; BOTH igniter leads are switched. Again, that is not true of almost all other altimeters on the market.

QUICK History:

Feb 2020 Tripoli enacted a rule that required a physical disconnect and effectively banned Magnetic Switches and WiFi switches. Then in Oct. 2020 they canceled that rule. So magnetic switches and WiFi switches are allowed and the downstream device is concidered "unpowered" of the wifi switch output is OFF.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/much-ado-about-nothing.162366/#post-2055466
There are LOTS of other threads about it, but this has the Tripoli message included.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I figured I should be ok (and as Cris noted, and has noted multiple times it is safe), but given the previous uncertainties I just wanted to be sure.

I fly with QCRC (Illinois) and Tripoli Wisconsin (Bong aka LDRS) and lots of us use Cris' (Wifi) and Adrian's (magnetic) switches. There has never been an issue to this day on their use, not even a question.

I believe at this point, the majority of those on RSO duty are relatively versed, or at least know about, the EggFinder "dead output" and the Featherweight mag switches and know they are good to go. Some people likely do not understand how these circuits work and believe that a physical contact must be the only way to absolutely stop electrons from flowing. When, that is absolutely not the case.

Thanks to Cris and Adrian (Cris being mentioned first since the OP initially questioned the WiFi switch) for bringing us into the 21st century with regard to electronics. Vern too!! :) Vern needs to post more.....

Back