Wildman Darkstar Extreme vs Drago 4 XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering for those of you that have built these rockets, or know about them, would you mind telling me what the major differences are between them. I know the Darkstar has split fins but what are the other differences? Thanks!

Hey all, I was wondering for those of you that have built these rockets, or know about them, would you mind telling me what the major differences are between them. I know the Darkstar has split fins but what are the other differences? Thanks!
Essentially the exact same rocket with different fin design. Depending on your level of skill, the split fin is definitely one order more complex to build. Both are fantastic kits.
I'd recommend the flanged retainer as it fits perfectly.
What else do you want to know?

Forgot to mention, Darkstar extreme is 10" longer, coupler is longer, and the extreme comes with all the hardware, bits and pieces, etc

Last edited:
And that all the Extremes originated with the Wildman Extreme. It is a nice rocket. Did my L3 on an AT M1297 in 2017- flew 12600’. That said, I fly it more on Aerotech four grain, 54 mm K motors. The K805 Green is an excellent choice and should do about 4000’.

The Darkstar is a bit longer than the Drago. Both designs are something you'd be proud to own. I know my Drago won't be my last Wildman kit. You can look for my video build series on the Drago on Youtube to see what goes into these kits, including a flight on a J450DM and a K2050ST. 20180525_120726.jpg

Like some others, I did my L3 with a Darkstar Extreme (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/pictoral-build-thread-wildman-darkstar-extreme.57738/) on an M1297W, which went over 14k. It worked fine, but my DE is a little on the heavy side and prefers hard hitting Ls and above.

Having built my first two Head End Deployment (HED) rockets recently, which I think the Drago XL is, I would be much more inclined to get the Drago XL. If I have a choice between a traditional DD setup with two airframes pieces and a HED based one, I'll go with the HED if I can make it work. It just makes much more sense to fill the typically empty space in the nosecone, put the weight right where you really want it and have a slightly shorter rocket which makes a lot of handling/transportation issues easier. Easier to build and also cheaper. YMMV.

Having built my first two Head End Deployment (HED) rockets recently, which I think the Drago XL is, I would be much more inclined to get the Drago XL. If I have a choice between a traditional DD setup with two airframes pieces and a HED based one, I'll go with the HED if I can make it work. It just makes much more sense to fill the typically empty space in the nosecone, put the weight right where you really want it and have a slightly shorter rocket which makes a lot of handling/transportation issues easier. Easier to build and also cheaper. YMMV.

The Drago 4XL is not HED, although it could be built to be HED. And in that case, the DS-E could also be built HED and the longer airframe would be a better fit for longer motors.
All this talk about the DS-Extreme has me wanting one. LoL!

Latest posts

Back