Wildman Blackhawk 38mm Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those parts destroyed? They all look usable [if cleaned up] in the pics.

How about the fincan...don't see it?

What's seems amazing to me is that after a hit like that, buried that deep, you can even recognize them, The only thing I see totally destroyed are all the BP's and bay parts.

So all that stuff in the pics is...totally damaged beyond repair?

Sorry about you loss....you did such a nice job. Would have been cool to get at least one good flight out of.

Was that the first flight of the Raven?

The parts are reusable, it will take a lot of elbow grease to get the dirt off. I even soaked it in water for 30 minutes, and the dirty is holding strong. I just recently wanted to try my hand at rolling tubes so I have fiberglass cloth already and the epoxy. So that is why I want to rebuild the upper tube, and the nosecone I was thinking about purchasing one from Wildman or Rocketry Warehouse with the metal tip that way I can run an all thread through it.

The only thing unusable the the battery, threaded rods, and the bulk plates.

The raven might be finished also, I PM'ed Adrian to ask him to look at it. Yes this was the first flight of the Altimeter, I am thinking it was my error. I practiced multiple times at home to arm the altimeter with the magnet but when I got to the field I was having such a hard time. It did not help that the rockets around me were beeping out tones. Plus I was in a rush because everyone was waiting on me, but I do remember hearing the start up of the altimeter.

Oh well I live and learn, I will not be able to rebuild probably until the end of the year as I am saving up for a wedding. Here this might cheer people up if they want to watch the video of the proposal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjb04TGuGyM

I should be getting the flight photos tomorrow, I have to admit the Blackhawk on a Smokey Sam was incredible!

Well that's amazing survival story there Kyle! So with a few BP's and rods it COULD fly again. As my uncle would say......"ya done good".

By the way I just watched your proposal......quite the romantic little devil, aren't you !

Congratulations and a happy & safe journey for the both of you and your future.

Ps. you may wish to think about this: with an alltread through the middle of such a small NC, there is not much room left to fit stuff in ....vs... an open format. I would prefit what ever you're thinking about using into this cone. If it works, then spend the funds on the other one.

Once again, good luck on all you're future endeavors.

Last edited:
Well thank you Jim!

I got word from Adrian that my Raven is useless for deployment. I can still use it for data collection, so my next build might have two ravens one for deployment and the other solely for data.

It seems I like making things complicated doesn't it? Now that I will need to replace the altimeter it certainly seems like I will be pushing this build back until the end of the year.

I really did learn my lesson, it was a pricey one. But a lesson none the less.

Sorry to hear about the failure -- 'tis never fun to go through.

Arming the magnetic switches is a little bit tricky, as you learned. They're great switches, but take a little bit of getting used to, and feeling time pressure from others certainly doesn't help.

For cleaning the parts, a stiff nylon brush and warm water will be your friend. When you're done, you'll have a muddy bath, but clean parts. :)

-Kevin

Shoot me a PM and I will tell you.

If you make a public statement that you have to explain in private, you should consider not making the comment in the first place on a public forum.

Just my 2cents

PM me if you need more of an explanation.......not.

Well thank you Jim!

I got word from Adrian that my Raven is useless for deployment. I can still use it for data collection, so my next build might have two ravens one for deployment and the other solely for data.

It seems I like making things complicated doesn't it? Now that I will need to replace the altimeter it certainly seems like I will be pushing this build back until the end of the year.

I really did learn my lesson, it was a pricey one. But a lesson none the less.

Like others have said, sorry it happened. If you learn something from a failure, it wasn't a failure. I have had the same "go fever" before and I know the feeling. If the Raven is still able to collect data, I would just pick up an Adept 22 to save some money and have the Raven go for the ride along. I have 6 Ravens and I swear by them. They are a bit more tricky to wire up (unless you use a power perch) The BlackHawk 38 is a small airframe, making it more difficult yet. I have about a dozen flights on my BH38 and I would recommend repairing yours. It is a fun rocket once it is "dialed in"

Good luck with the repair/rebuild and congratulations!!

Jason

Here are the flight photos.

Such a beautiful flight, but such a horrific recovery.

My fiance let me know afterwards, she thought going and launching rockets would be boring. But after going she is making efforts to setup the next launch.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
That's why I no longer fly WM kits :grin:

Still, sad to see a well built rocket be returned to kit form.

How many times did you actually fly Wildman kits before you stopped flying them due to failures completely unrelated to the kits?

Yes, lets not derail this thread. Mason, please start a thread of your own dedicated to that unbelievable statement you just made.

Well I have the itch to rebuild and it is only growing stronger. Time to talk to the fiance tonight :)

I will need a new nosecone, I was inspecting it yesterday. A portion of the tip was chipped off, so does anyone know if Wildman sells a 38mm nosecone with a threaded tip?

If I rebuild I will just buy the basic body parts and build that first, then get a new Raven.

Just a note. On the 38mm cone from RWH, that metal/threaded tip is HUGE. Mine seems to be the same size (and weight) as the ones that come on 3" cones, which makes it much larger/heavier in a relative sense when applied to a 38mm. This may be a good thing if you would happen to be adding nose weight anyway, but it's something to be aware of regardless.

On the you can plus side.... If you call RWH you can likely get whatever size/length/color coupler you want.

Call Rocketry Warehouse. They make a 38mm cone with a molded in tip. I received one with my Formula 38.

OUCH. Sorry.

Definitely re-build. I love my BH-29...

Not sure if you mentioned,... did you keep engine deploy as a back-up?

Just a note. On the 38mm cone from RWH, that metal/threaded tip is HUGE. Mine seems to be the same size (and weight) as the ones that come on 3" cones, which makes it much larger/heavier in a relative sense when applied to a 38mm. This may be a good thing if you would happen to be adding nose weight anyway, but it's something to be aware of regardless.

On the you can plus side.... If you call RWH you can likely get whatever size/length/color coupler you want.

What do you mean when you say to call RW to get the length/coupler of what I want? Are you talking about the nosecone?

Call Rocketry Warehouse. They make a 38mm cone with a molded in tip. I received one with my Formula 38.

I would prefer the Aluminum tip.

OUCH. Sorry.

Definitely re-build. I love my BH-29...

Not sure if you mentioned,... did you keep engine deploy as a back-up?

I did not use engine deploy as backup, as it would not work with my design.

The coupler that held the shock cord for the lower section, was blocked with two bulkplates. So the ejection charge on the motor would be useless.

Did you do that to avoid ejection charge pressure on a friction fit motor?

Did you do that to avoid ejection charge pressure on a friction fit motor?

Correct, and create a solid point for the shock cord to attach to instead of a glued cord.

Most likely I will be calling RW on Thursday inbetween classes, to place an order.

[video=youtube;NJEHgYRT1i4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEHgYRT1i4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I ordered the replacement parts from RW, I am also talking to Mark from stickershock to help me make a mask.

Well I finally finished and flew my Blackhawk 38 -- took several attempts at the AV Bay, but the rest was easy (especially thanks to the rivet advice).

I used an Aeropack MD internal retainer, riveted in (between retainer and the top of the tube). AV bay had an adept DDC 22 and a 9v battery on a balsa sled.

Had a beeline beacon, a 808 camera and a Jolly Logic recording altimeter...

Flew on an I600 - took off straight and true -- but no-one ever saw it again... I spent 3 hours fruitless trying to locate it with my VHF radio - I thought I had a signal for 2 hours but then nothing.

Oh well !

Well I finally finished and flew my Blackhawk 38 -- took several attempts at the AV Bay, but the rest was easy (especially thanks to the rivet advice).

I used an Aeropack MD internal retainer, riveted in (between retainer and the top of the tube). AV bay had an adept DDC 22 and a 9v battery on a balsa sled.

Had a beeline beacon, a 808 camera and a Jolly Logic recording altimeter...

Flew on an I600 - took off straight and true -- but no-one ever saw it again... I spent 3 hours fruitless trying to locate it with my VHF radio - I thought I had a signal for 2 hours but then nothing.

Oh well !

Yeah the Blackhawk really disappears. When mine launched I was the only one to see it at apogee, which was estimated at 3600 feet. In an I600 that thing truly is lost, did you see any event? Or was it just a blank sky?

I am rebuilding mine soon, so that means in the next year.

Just a blank sky - although the cloud ceiling had closed in again when I launched, so that didn't help :)

Just a blank sky - although the cloud ceiling had closed in again when I launched, so that didn't help :)

Yeah that really is a shame. I hope you have luck finding it sometime. It really is a slick rocket for the price.

Any chance you could post a pic of this nose cone and the actual weight? I was planning to pick up one of these 38mm FWFG color nosecones with metal tip, but your description makes me think I might be better off with something else. If they didn't scale the size of the tips then the pic on their website must be a generic shot of some of the larger nosecones.

Any chance you could post a pic of this nose cone and the actual weight? I was planning to pick up one of these 38mm FWFG color nosecones with metal tip, but your description makes me think I might be better off with something else. If they didn't scale the size of the tips then the pic on their website must be a generic shot of some of the larger nosecones.

I purchase one of the nosecones for my rebuild. I can get an accurate weight tonight, when I go over to my parents home. Did you want it with or with out the shoulder of the nosecone?

https://www.blackaero.com/archives/236

Here is a picture of the nosecone, with the metal tip.

Ah thanks for that! The metal tip doesn't look disproportionately large to me...if you could let me know the weight without shoulder that would be perfect. I actually have one of the 38mm FWFG nosecones with composite tip that I can compare numbers with.

Back