Whose Baffled their V2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
1,901
Reaction score
1,764
Location
Northern Utah
Search thru many threads here and on google images, and cannot find much about baffles in an Estes V2. I really like baffles and would like one in my V2. (10 - 12 sheets wadding! I don't/haven't used dog barf, and don't wanna!)

I see a baffle in a V2 by Mr Garvin, but did not see it finished?

My first thought: put 3 half moons at the end of the motor tube, but am worried about E engine ejection charges blowing out the motor tube! I have used few E engines, and have not had a severe ejection charge - yet! :)

Any advise from my brethren on how to baffle my Estes V2 would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Pat

Edit: Would love to see any pics, of course!
 
Search thru many threads here and on google images, and cannot find much about baffles in an Estes V2. I really like baffles and would like one in my V2. (10 - 12 sheets wadding! I don't/haven't used dog barf, and don't wanna!)

I see a baffle in a V2 by Mr Garvin, but did not see it finished?

My first thought: put 3 half moons at the end of the motor tube, but am worried about E engine ejection charges blowing out the motor tube! I have used few E engines, and have not had a severe ejection charge - yet! :)

Any advise from my brethren on how to baffle my Estes V2 would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Pat

Edit: Would love to see any pics, of course!

I would not worry about E ejection charges blowing out the motor tube. I would, however, worry about the E motors blowing up the rocket, if you're using Estes black powders.

I'm curious.... why don't you want to use dog barf wadding?


Later!

--Coop
 
I had an Estes V2 that had 3 half moon baffles in the forward end of the motor tube. For those I used the cardboard donuts that came from the centers of the centering rings. To toughen those up I covered the exposed side with superglue and glued them in. The rocket had about 20 flights by the time it was lost and the baffles seemed to be holding up fine. For motors I used both Estes black powder motors and Aerotech reloadable composite motors. When I flew composite motors I used tape to contain the powder instead of the cap - those can knock baffles loose. When I build the replacement I intend to build it the same way.
 
Mine lives in storage and I'm sure it's confused as to why I no longer fly it. I'm kinda baffled by that, too............
 
Back
Top