Who is a PRO R/C glider builder??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickershock23

Reaction score
I was into R/C sailplanes MANY years ago.

My dad gave me a Kit for christmas in about 1983, It was BEAUTIFUL but it scared the HECK out of me (to build it) it was a complex bird, so it sat, I often opened it up and dreamed of flying it.. but alass I never grew a pair big enough to build it. so it still sits in its box waiting for someone with the skill.

So I'd like to put it out to the forum. Is there someone out there that is a PRO R/C builder? that is in the need of a challenge?? and a project?

I'd LOVE to send this to someone that could build this for me. My offer is FREE DECALS in trade for a PRO BUILD of my kit. I'd love to hang it in my shop as a GREAT memory of my dad.

the Plane is called "Freedom" it is a flat wing full airfoil T tail Aerobatic slope flyer. I have the instructions but they are pretty deteriorated. you can read them but some of it is falling apart.

Thanks

I found a picture of one so you can get the idea of what the plane is (Min is full glider Not powered like this one)... I have no idea who's picture this is so Sorry for using it without permission if this is you! LOL

Pm34665.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
I have been building R/C birds, primarily power but a few gliders also, for over 30 years. Can't tell much of this ones construction from the one photo but looks like it was designed more for slope sloaring than duration/thermal gliding. Is is a foam wing or built up balsa? All wood fuselage? Are you looking for a finished, flyable model or just a display? Full finished or bare bones? Lots of variables here but it really doesn't look like it would be too difficult to put together. We sure might be able to work something out. I like to build, especially when the finished product really means something to the customer. Talk to me, John.

The biggest challenge might be getting it back to you when finished. Is it designed with a two piece wing with a joiner rod?

Hi Mark,
I have been building R/C birds, primarily power but a few gliders also, for over 30 years. Can't tell much of this ones construction from the one photo but looks like it was designed more for slope sloaring than duration/thermal gliding. Is is a foam wing or built up balsa? All wood fuselage? Are you looking for a finished, flyable model or just a display? Full finished or bare bones? Lots of variables here but it really doesn't look like it would be too difficult to put together. We sure might be able to work something out. I like to build, especially when the finished product really means something to the customer. Talk to me, John.

It is an OLD kit so it is all Balsa ribs and spars. and yes it is a slope soarer more than a duration glider.

I have built a few R/C planes. but my skills just would not do it justice. So if you can build a BEAUTY instead of me building one that looks good from 50 ft and flies fine. thats what I want.

I can put the radio and stuff in it. heck I could probably even monocoat it.

as for shipping it. where do you live.

you can shoot me an e-mail if you want to talk more about it off TRF.

[email protected]

THanks

The biggest challenge might be getting it back to you when finished. Is it designed with a two piece wing with a joiner rod?

I believe its a one piece wing that bolts or rubberbands onto the to with a pice to cover that.. but I cant quite remember.. as bad as the instructions are falling apart I really dont want to open them till they are ready to be used.

I also understand if the instructions are too far gone.. it may be something we cant get passed.

Hi Mark, I live in Tulsa, OK. That has got to be at least a 60 inch wing, right? Shipping the finished product could get expensive but it sure wouldn't be a stopper. I have shipped some pretty huge projects across country before. If you have a Greyhound station near you, that can actually work out the cheapest but you have to invest a bit more in your shipping carton to make sure it gets there in good shape. I think we could definitely work something out in trade. I got lots of projects in the pipeline that are going to need markings! John.

Ps Here are a couple pics of a 1/4 scale J-3 cub I did a couple years ago for a dentist friend of mine.

m_002.JPG

m_011.JPG

m_013.JPG

m_017.JPG

Well I think you just talked me into it... (BEAUTIFUL)

Although like you said getting it back might be tough.. let me see what thats gonna take and go from there.

Please shoot me an e-mail We can hash this out there easier!

Heard a rumor that : mr_matt_II
was responsible for gobbling up 1/2 of all shipped AT r/c loads a couple of years ago.

Have seen him fly at Fiesta Island also - knows his stuff .

Kenny

Hi Mark, I live in Tulsa, OK. That has got to be at least a 60 inch wing, right? Shipping the finished product could get expensive but it sure wouldn't be a stopper. I have shipped some pretty huge projects across country before. If you have a Greyhound station near you, that can actually work out the cheapest but you have to invest a bit more in your shipping carton to make sure it gets there in good shape. I think we could definitely work something out in trade. I got lots of projects in the pipeline that are going to need markings! John.

Ps Here are a couple pics of a 1/4 scale J-3 cub I did a couple years ago for a dentist friend of mine.

That my friend is a beutiful job !! I never thought about the Greyhound thing. Last year I had a 48 inch mounted striper shipped from Ga. to Tx. We had moved while it was still in taxidermists. Shipping was about 400 based on the size of the box:y: In the end it was about a 900 dollar mount but well woth it.

That my friend is a beutiful job !! I never thought about the Greyhound thing. Last year I had a 48 inch mounted striper shipped from Ga. to Tx. We had moved while it was still in taxidermists. Shipping was about 400 based on the size of the box:y: In the end it was about a 900 dollar mount but well woth it.

Thanks, Hornet! Always love to get positive feedback. John.

If you're considering using Greyhound, keep this recent ordeal in mind.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=29882

Thanks, Chadrog, I have only used Greyhound twice for frieght shipments, once to Nevada and once to California. Both transactions went off without a hitch and saved my customers serious coin. The more traditional shipping options get really greedy when the box size gets much bigger than a breadbox. I am sure if we tried we could find horror stories involved with all of them. I know I have personally lost items shipped via UPS and was never compensated. I finally just gave up trying to collect.

Thanks, Chadrog, I have only used Greyhound twice for frieght shipments, once to Nevada and once to California. Both transactions went off without a hitch and saved my customers serious coin. The more traditional shipping options get really greedy when the box size gets much bigger than a breadbox. I am sure if we tried we could find horror stories involved with all of them. I know I have personally lost items shipped via UPS and was never compensated. I finally just gave up trying to collect.

if we go greyhound... might as well get a round trip ticket.... :D

Hi stickershock, my 1st post here. U probably already have things underway, but i thought i'd chime in. The Freedom has a conventional one piece D box wing with spruce spars top/bottom, shear webs, and cap strips over the ribs. If memory serves, it's around 72". It has outboard ailerons, all moving tailplane (stabilator), and inboard speed brakes (not quite flaps). Wing is mounted via ingenious hidden tab at TE and a couple of rods inserted from canopy area, thru bulkhead and into LE. As designed, stabilizer area is a bit on the small side and ailerons are prone to high-speed flutter if driven via the stock (old school) torque rods. Better to have each aileron driven directly by a separate servo in each wing via straight pushrod. This is an out of production, vintage/classic sloper and a beautiful flier! I bult mine in in the late '80's.
-cheers

Last edited:
Back