Who are your rocketry idols?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen many names in this resurrection of the thread that I've met in person and/or talked with online. Obviously there are the founding fathers of the hobby as well, but I'll take a slightly different track in this post.

For me, specifically related to my modern rocketry, its a guy named Steve. Regretfully, I don't recall Steve's last name, but when I went to my first club launch, I felt very out of place. Not that the club was doing anything wrong, but I was just a guy driving up the grass runway for the first time and had never heard of something bigger than an E. I didn't want to mess up.

Steve was prepping an MPR at the back of his car and looked up from time to time and saw that I just seemed out of place and not sure what to do (I was an adult, but probably appeared to be an 8 year old kid, confused and not sure what to do). He stopped what he was doing, walked over and introduced himself. We talked for a minute and he offered to show me how to prep an MPR. I watched, learned and he said 'Come on, you brought some rockets, lets go fly' or something similar. That motivated me to get to it and I felt quickly that I was a new club member, not a club visitor.

I saw Steve for a good number of launches over the next few years, but after a while I didn't see him again. He was a genuine good guy and I hope he just moved on to a different hobby or a different location. Hopefully if any ROCC members here from the early to mid-2000's are reading, you can remind me of his last name and maybe fill in on how he is doing if you know.

I wouldn't be involved in club rocketry, most likely, if it weren't for Steve's outreach to me as a neophyte and I still fly a few of the tricks he taught me that day on each rocket (long shock cord with tape, etc., nothing revolutionary but nothing I would have learned from an Estes kit for example).

Hope you're doing well Steve. Hope to see you at a launch again soon.

Sandy.

similar to how Dave Popkin took me in and provided help my first HP launch. I was going through some high power magazines this week and there he was on the front cover of High Power rocketry magazine.

Post a pic!
Vic Tanner on the LH side, Dave on the right.
22YzvEN.jpg

And usually the bigger you are in a hobby or sport the less likely you are to spend your time on a forum. So 90% of the people that have been mentioned on this thread, You won't find them on here.

This is definitely interesting to see the contrast of young vs old. A lot of the old-timers here would just be considered friends with some of my rocket idols.

Undoubtedly on the rocket side the top of the award list goes to Erik and Dirk Gates. Of course, Dan and Terry Stroud, Pat Gordzelik, @vahpr and basically, the Hilbiliy guys and basically anyone that hit the cover of the High Power Rocketry and Rockets Magazines I used to pick up at the local hobby store while I dreamed of flying high power.

Of course, Neil and Bob from Rockets are my huge influences on the video side of things, as well as Chuck Rudy from Voodoorocketry.

It's pretty weird for it all to come full circle and now I get to do the things I always dreamt of doing!

Braden

I was always fascinated by the rockets built by Jeff Jakob out in California and he was always featured at the BALLS launches, launching his hybrid rockets

Estes, Piester, and Boyd. Also Carlisle and Stine.
Without a doubt, Orville H.Carlisle and G. Harry,without them none of this would have been possible.Harry's Handbook is still the best reference work on this subject that I've ever read. Also Lee and Vern, for creating the model rocket industry.Can you imagine how different things would have been without them?

Robert Goddard
Hermann Oberth
John Clark
Theodore von Kármán
Homer Hickam (got to meet him at LDRS in Orangeburg back in 2000)
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Willy Ley

I was lucky enough to have dinner with Homer Hickam and a bunch of colleagues and students, some years ago. Freshmen at this university each got a copy of a book that they were supposed to read; the theme that year was "Science" and I had suggested Rocket Boys, so admin brought him to campus later.

I more or less monopolized the conversation with him. Strangely enough, we didn't talk much about rockets. Instead, he was glad to be able to share both fun and un-fun experiences in commercial publishing with someone else who had firsthand experience.

(I'm the one who obviously hadn't yet lost thirty pounds...) :D
1649604878410.png

Best -- Terry

I tutored under the brilliant Italian rocket scientist Enrico Prosciutto, great man, bit of a ham.

Back