Where do you get your motors/engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg Furtman said:
I'm going to start buying Estes BP motors from AC Supply
Every place that sells these online charges double of what Hobby Lobby sells them for. What's up with that?

That's just factually not true.
Go price compare AC Supply Estes motor prices to those from HL, and see for yourself!

Third Wildman

+1, after you are Club member.
At non-club rates, meah.

Depends. For work, I usually sourced motors from Wildman. For more extreme personal projects, Chris's rocket supplies is the supplier of choice. For bulk ordering motors, I've found that sirius rocketry tends to have the best prices. Finally, when I want to buy and fly I get motors from Bay Area Rocketry, which have a trailer at my usual launch sites.

Hobby Lobby stores tend to have very thin stock of only certain motor types, and it's not consistent when they re-order. If they happen to have some D/E and you have a 40% coupon then you can get a really good deal...on one pack. The one a mile from me in SD is useless. They have closed all stores indefinitely and I'm not sure they will be able to stage a comeback when quarantine is over.

Our local vendor Discount Rocketry (Jim and Rudy Myers) is great to work with. They have supported DART for a long time and sell tons of Estes bulk packs on the web too, and carry Aerotech LPR/MPR motors.

Nearly all the good HPR motor vendors that carry Aerotech have been mentioned above. I tend to buy onsite from AMW now that they are out here on the west coast and attend virtually all California launches, and I use predominantly CTI motors.

Dave, what's up with Discount Rocketry? That web site is kind of out of date and modelrockets.us seems to have been taken over by someone else.

Discount Rocketry has some neat stuff. I'm particularly a fan of the neat snap-together Nexus, and it is clear from some fine details on the parts that they were the ones who actually manufactured the Falcon 9 models that SpaceX sold (both versions).

I hope that they are hanging on OK....I've always found Ruby great to work with.

@BEC It's a little confusing - their website has always been modelrockets.us but it's the same people for many years now. The trailer, though, says (said - they just got a new trailer that is thus far undecorated) Discount Rocketry. The kit bags say modelrockets.us. Jim is indeed a real wizard with designing plastic parts - we've inducted a lot of new fliers on the Nexxus. The tubes they source are very nice too.

Historical note: The Discount Rocketry name was first used by fellow DART member Kevin Funk, who was the editor of our section newsletter Warp-9 from the late 1980s to the late 1990s. Kevin passed away nearly 20 years ago; Jim and Ruby later acquired the Discount Rocketry name and some inventory from Kevin's estate. Sometime afterward they added the modelrockets.us brand.

Last edited:
Dave, what's up with Discount Rocketry? That web site is kind of out of date and modelrockets.us seems to have been taken over by someone else.

Discount Rocketry has some neat stuff. I'm particularly a fan of the neat snap-together Nexus, and it is clear from some fine details on the parts that they were the ones who actually manufactured the Falcon 9 models that SpaceX sold (both versions).

I hope that they are hanging on OK....I've always found Ruby great to work with.

They come to our launches like clockwork, when we can have launches. Between COVID and a very wet lakebed we are still trying to plan our net launch.

I like the old Vaughn Brothers Blobbo. I have one built, but haven't been able to fly it yet.

Back