Wher to buy parts/supplies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackazit

Reaction score
I am trying to find somewhere to buy parts/supplies such as nose cones, chutes,kevlar cord, launch pad rods (1/8, 3/16), etc etc. I have been to every hobby shop I can find in my area (So. Calif) and I have come up blank. I have serched the internet, found a few places, but not A place that looked like the place to buy from.

I called Estes today to ask them where to buy there parts, you know, the ones listed in the catalog. Estes said "Nobody carries our parts, stores just don't have the space to stock them. All the stores stock is our kits." That answer baffles me, I just don't know what to think about a company with that attitude. I recently found out they bought Cox, I'm sure now I won't be able to find Cox parts when I get my kid into control line airplanes....

Soo, I am looking for a good place to buy parts, I worry that mail ordering something like kevlar cord for $2 is going to cost $5 in shipping.

Any help would be appreciated,

Oh, and I just ordered a Duces Wild!, Preater, Richter Recker

Hackazit

First of all, welcome to the forum. I am sure plenty of folks will pipe in so I'm just going to give you my 2 cents.

For balsa nose cones, centering rings, body tubes try Balsa Machine Service
https://www.balsamachining.com

Another great place for body tubes and rings is Totally Tubular

https://www.buyrockets.com/buyrockets/tt.html

Kevlar Cord you can buy from (me)
:) at
https://www.thrustaero.com

I also stock engine clips, chutes and the like.
Fliskits has a great site and is another TRF member and you can find his stuff at
https://www.fliskits.com/

If you need custom balsa maching, or own Sandman does awesome work!
See the Thread in the Vendors section...you can't miss it!

That should give you a start...

Lots of these are internet companies, but that's a fact of life in a small hobby like this.

Nose cones: BMS (Balsa Machining Services) or our own sandman for those difficult custom cones

Chutes: I'd recommend Top Flight Recovery for small/mid size chutes or again our own flying_silverad.

Kevlar: I've found the thread and smaller diameter "cord" to be cheapest on Ebay. Shipping is reasonable too.

If you're willing to settle for a 4' length, launch rods are cheapest by going to your local Home Depot and getting the steel rods you can find there. They're available in all the common diameters. They do corrode, but at the price, they're easy and economical to replace.

Other good places for tubes, rings, etc. include Totally Tubular (great prices, but can be really slow to ship), Apogee Rockets (little pricier but some of the best customer service in the business), FlisKits (awesome kits, good quality parts, and again, some of the best service you'll find anywhere, ever), and Red Arrow Hobbies (check them out on Ebay...great prices and good service).

If you're into HPR, look at Public Missiles (kits, parts, chutes, etc.), Binder Design (kits, parts), Perfectflite (electronics), MissileWorks (electronics and odd stuff you never knew you needed till you saw it and now you really need it).

If you want one place to find it all on the web, check out Magnum Rockets or Discount Rocketry. My personal advice would be to completely avoid Discount Hobby Center (best prices around, but you run a 50/50 chance of actually getting what you want within 2 months).

Hackazit.......Hack a zit.....Hum????

Hey welcome to TRF. Great place for rocketry answers, and ideas. Also lots of friendly guys here. Looks like you have some good answers so far. I haven't had a chance to try some of these places yet, but if these guys say so then these are good places for what you are looking for. Don't over look Fliskits for rocket components. They are adding some all the time, and NO MINIMUM ORDER. Nice stuff neatly packaged shipped right to your door in a few days, not weeks. Even an e-mail confirmation on shippment of your order. Hey Jim, Hows that.

Oh, and don't forget to post pictures if you can. Lots of pictures
:D :D :D ........Larry

My 2 cents (you may have a dollar before you know it)

Check ebay, you will find many good deal. BUT..... check their feedback before you bid. I have gotten 100s of good deals, but got burned bad on a $80 altimeter in June. Also watch out for auctions that don't have a pre-set shipping and handling. The seller can make good money AFTER you already won the auction.

Also check out Hobbylinc. I gotten a lot of parts from them. Pretty quick shipping, good custormer service.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/rockets/rockets.htm

The Rocket Forum's Sandman made me a great balsa transition. Great price, Very quick shipment, will call on him again.

Well there is my 2 cents worth. Anyway, Welcome to the forum. There are a LOT of great people here.

Originally posted by Hackazit
Oh, and I just ordered a Duces Wild!

Well you just earned several brownie points for that move. Next you have to post many, many pictures

My own personal great experience was with Balsa Machine Service. They answer questions via phone (it sounds like you're calling the phone in the kitchen!), have a wide variety of Estes-type nose cones, and the option for custom rings, fins and noses. I personally found the tubes to be a great buy.

I placed an order via email. After about five days, I got an odd psychic scratch that maybe they hadn't received my order. I called, and after a few minutes of digging, found that they had received my email but got lost in the digital shuffle. they sent out my order immediately and I got it two days later.

Anyway, welcome. Be prepared to be bit by the rocket bug REALLY HARD.

I have found great lakes hobbies, the rocket gardenand red arrow hobbies to great for me.

Hackazit,

hi and welcome to the forum! Also, welcome to FlisKits and thank you for your order! You are going to love all 3 of those kits.

As many have already said (and I thank you :) ), FlisKits has a large and growing line of parts. I'll also point out (though I don't get into this on the web), if you are in need of a small, lightweight, bendable item that can be stuffed into an evelope and mailed firstclass for $0.37, just send me an email and we can deal through paypal rather than the site so that you only pay for the actual postage (of course it'll take a few additional days to get it).

Folk's'll tell you, we're willing and able to work with you.

jim

Thanks everyone for all the information. I have checked out several of the sites and found that they have most of what I am looking for.

Also, received my Fliskits Duces Wild, Richter Recker, and Praeter on Friday, just 4 days after I ordered them!! What service. Thanks Jim and Co. I didn't know what to expect with Fliskits being a new company but I was impressed with the packaging for shipment and the rocket packages, very professional. My son and I can't wait to build and lauch these rockets.

Hackazit

Back