When is the NASA SLS launch date?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re doing a launch replay now. Never gets old, indeed!

What is old is the image from the actual spacecraft looking like it’s on a Zoom call.

They’re doing a launch replay now. Never gets old, indeed!

What is old is the image from the actual spacecraft looking like it’s on a Zoom call.
It's super-compressed because the data is getting relayed through TDRSS satellites. I'm looking forward to the full-resolution replays! The wingtip cameras are GoPro Hero 4 Black (the latest available during camera selection in 2015) with some extensive modifications. They stream real-time video at 720p and record better-quality video at 4k (though I think NASA selected the full-frame somewhat lower-res recording option)

I loved the view during the burn when the solar arrays were so obviously flexing. I wonder if it was more than they expected. It seemed like a lot. The arrays are so long that the wiring that ESA allocated for powering the cameras had too much voltage drop, requiring a relatively late design change to bump up the transmission voltage and squeeze a little voltage regulator inside the camera. Early on in the design, Orion was going to use US-made Ultraflex panels (fan-fold disc shape) arrays but ESA ended up making the service module and the arrays as a cost-sharing cooperation agreement.

It's super-compressed because the data is getting relayed through TDRSS satellites. I'm looking forward to the full-resolution replays! The wingtip cameras are GoPro Hero 4 Black (the latest available during camera selection in 2015) with some extensive modifications. They stream real-time video at 720p and record better-quality video at 4k (though I think NASA selected the full-frame somewhat lower-res recording option)
Objects (in the compressed images relayed through TDRS) are larger than they appear.

And they are even bigger on the inside.

The Trans-lunar injection (TLI) burn is accelerating at about the rate as a car going merging onto the freeway and not trying very hard. But instead of 0 to 63 and letting off the gas after 10.8 seconds, it keeps going for 1080 seconds to add 6300 mph. On our way back to the moon!

Not sure about which "NASA Spaceflight" feed I was getting but it was full of juvenile banter from the 3 male hosts. All giggles and jokes and more about "me" stories than actual reporting on what was happening. My impression is that they were 30 somethings with a collective mentality of a 5 year old. I finally found the "NASA Live: Official Stream of NASA TV" which was much better although that feed was interspersed with NASA promotional videos.

Ed: I found out that NASA Spaceflight is not associated with NASA at all but is a private website and Youtube site. Now that I know that, I will ban them from my feeds for life.

Last edited:
Not sure about which "NASA Spaceflight" feed I was getting but it was full of juvenile banter from 3 male hosts. All giggles and jokes and more about "me" stories than actual reporting on what was happening. I finally found the "NASA Live: Official Stream of NASA TV" which was much better.

Ed: I found out that NASA Spaceflight is not associated with NASA at all but is a private website. Now that I know that, I will ban them from my feeds for life.
When I'm at the office I usually run two feeds: the official NASA TV one with all the human interest stuff, and usually they also have a second one that's only the technical audio and sometimes a different camera angle

No. Recovering SRB's with the shuttle program taught everyone it wasn't worth it.

And it seems that rather than pointing and laughing at you for being wrong, I must give credit to your instincts.
Wait, they toss the boosters, too?!? It is a big enough travesty throwing away 4 of those amazing RS-25 engines! They only have like 16 left! Meanwhile, Elon has his boosters doing a "Return to Launch Site" maneuver and landing upright neat as you please. Private enterprise innovates because they have skin in the game.

"Nah, let's just toss 'em"
P1160771.35pct.jpg

Wait, they toss the boosters, too?!? It is a big enough travesty throwing away 4 of those amazing RS-25 engines! They only have like 16 left! Meanwhile, Elon has his boosters doing a "Return to Launch Site" maneuver and landing upright neat as you please. Private enterprise innovates because they have skin in the game.

View attachment 546493
Did you miss the part where I said reusing the booster casings wasn't worth it? Fishing those giant booster casings out of the water, dismantling them, shipping them back to Utah, and refurbishing and reloading them turned out to not be as practical as just manufacturing new ones.

Did you miss the part where I said reusing the booster casings wasn't worth it? Fishing those giant booster casings out of the water, dismantling them, shipping them back to Utah, and refurbishing and reloading them turned out to not be as practical as just manufacturing new ones.
So they're going to use the 16 or so remaining ones and then make more of the same? Upgraded ones? Something better one way or another?

So they're going to use the 16 or so remaining ones and then make more of the same? Upgraded ones? Something better one way or another?
I was talking about the booster casings, not the RS-25 engines.

However, you're right. There are 16 shuttle veteran RS-25D engines that will be expended on the first four Artemis missions (4 of which went into the drink last night), and after that there will be newly-manufactured RS-25E's used, which will supposedly be actual cheaper, expendable versions of the engine.

I saw the lunch at 1:45 am Eastern time. Does anyone have an issue with RTV/sealant being use on the Artemins. It delayed the lunch on Friday and now today, Wednesday morning. Our future Rocket Ship uses RTV/Silicon.. Really? And the announcers on TV station KHOU tried and explained it is also used for aerodynamics. There is nothing aerodynamic about the rocket with all the Cowlings, Fuel lines, Solid Booster Straps etc. I felt we were launching an old 1960's, 1970's automobile.

If anyone in the know can correct my assumptions on RTV being used on our next space vehicle, please inform me.

I saw the lunch at 1:45 am Eastern time. Does anyone have an issue with RTV/sealant being use on the Artemins. It delayed the lunch on Friday and now today, Wednesday morning. Our future Rocket Ship uses RTV/Silicon.. Really? And the announcers on TV station KHOU tried and explained it is also used for aerodynamics. There is nothing aerodynamic about the rocket with all the Cowlings, Fuel lines, Solid Booster Straps etc. I felt we were launching an old 1960's, 1970's automobile.

If anyone in the know can correct my assumptions on RTV being used on our next space vehicle, please inform me.
It's not clear to me what your assumptions are about RTV or why you seem to have a problem with it. RTV is fine. It works. We use lots of it on the Antares too.

What's up with the new account?

It occurred to me that I may have misunderstood you, so in case you were talking about the SRB casings (calling out the number 16 made me think you were talking about the RS-25's), we will be flying the shuttle veterans that are left until they are all gone, but I'm not sure how many there are. After that, there will be new ones manufactured.

I'm not sure how many will be manufactured in the old style out of steel, but if SLS Block 2 comes online at some point, it is supposed to have an advanced booster of some kind, but this seems largely aspirational at this point. I think among the features is supposed to be a lighter composite booster casing.

I'm not sure how many will be manufactured in the old style out of steel, but if SLS Block 2 comes online at some point, it is supposed to have an advanced booster of some kind, but this seems largely aspirational at this point. I think among the features is supposed to be a lighter composite booster casing.
I hope Block 2 gets far enough along to flood the market with drums of surplus AP.

The boosters I can understand I guess. Just rolled steel segments mostly (but even they have complex avionics packages and control systems), but the RS-25's make me sad.

The boosters I can understand I guess. Just rolled steel segments mostly (but even they have complex avionics packages and control systems), but the RS-25's make me sad.
I will be stunned if SLS makes enough flights that new RS-25s are required. By the time we get to SLS Flight 4, there will be far cheaper alternatives available and SLS will become financially unfeasible. Starship will be flying. Heck, New Glenn might even have done a hot fire!

Back