What you doing for Yuri's Night?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfo

Reaction score
Given that today is the aniversary of Yuri Gagarin being the first man in Space. What are people planning on doing for <a href="https://www.yurisnight.net">Yuri's Night</a>

I'm joinging the <a href="https://www.celestek.co.uk/usm/yn2006.htm">London Yuri's Night party</a>, by going out visiting pubs, drinking vodka and <a href="https://www.bookcrossing.com/">Bookcrossing</a> some Science Fiction books.

There are at least 45 books being released tonight in London as part of Yuri's night.

So is anyone else doing anything?

nobody in the United States really cares. We have better things to do with our lives than celebrate a dead guy who never even got to the moon.

Originally posted by rocketman(song)
nobody in the United States really cares. We have better things to do with our lives than celebrate a dead guy who never even got to the moon.

So I guess you guys don't celebrate Christmas, Martin Luther King day, Presidents day, etc? As far as I know none of the dead guys those days commemorate never "even" made it to the moon.

I guess I'll sit and watch that programme about the Blue Streak I taped months ago to celebrate.

I'd forgotten that it was tonight - thanks for the reminder! It's definitely a good time to raise a glass to Yuri and all of the pioneers of manned space flight, regardless of whether they got to the moon.:)
Edward

I'm going to do what I always do. Drink vodka to excess! I think I still have some of Roy's cherry vodka left, the strictly speaking, that's not Russian...

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I'm going to do what I always do. Drink vodka to excess! I think I still have some of Roy T-H's cherry vodka left, though strictly speaking, that's not Russian...

Actually, I want to take back what I said. It came across as a cheap shot at a genuine hero, and that wasn't my intention at all.

Speak for yourself.

Originally posted by WiK
So I guess you guys don't celebrate Christmas, Martin Luther King day, Presidents day, etc? As far as I know none of the dead guys those days commemorate never "even" made it to the moon.

I'll be going to work at my dead end job - of the other 3 mentioned I only get Christmas off and even that's not guaranted - anybody hiring out there?:(

Thanks for the reminder Cath. Ruth and I will be raising a glass to his achievement as well. He was a brave man, as were all the early astronauts regardless of which flag they flew under and what mission they flew.

Originally posted by Phil
Thanks for the reminder Cath. Ruth and I will be raising a glass to his achievement as well. He was a brave man, as were all the early astronauts regardless of which flag they flew under and what mission they flew.

I agree with Phil on this one. Great achievment no matter who it is or where they're from. I think I'll have one in his honor as well.

Cliff

Originally posted by Phil
He was a brave man, as were all the early astronauts regardless of which flag they flew under and what mission they flew.
Well put. Brave indeed!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I'm going to do what I always do. Drink vodka to excess! I think I still have some of Roy's cherry vodka left, the strictly speaking, that's not Russian...

Do you always drink vodka in excess or do you always drink vodka in excess on Yuri's Night?;)

Claire and I will raise a small glass as we're still recovering from BROHP where we raised quite a number of very large glasses.:cool:

If the winds right i will put up my vostok :)
Cheers
fred

My taxes. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Guess I should get out my Roachwerks Soyuz kit and contemplate bashing it into a Vostok yet again.

Bill

Originally posted by snede2112
Do you always drink vodka in excess or do you always drink vodka in excess on Yuri's Night?;)

No, it's not usually vodka that I drink to excess. ;)

Yuri? the Russian who beat Americans into space(but not to the moon!)?? why would I celebrate that? that's not celabratory over here, that's a fact we try to overlook... (atleast I do) Do englanders celebrate events in which they are beaten by another country to a common goal?

Why do we have to act like sore losers about it?

This was mankinds first venture into space. That deserves to be celebrated.

I wish I'd known about this before this morning!

For the whiny stick-in-the-muds:

This is also the 25th Anniversary of the first shuttle flight.

Party up, my fellow americans (or a couple of you anyway). Gagarin was the first of us who stepped off the mudball. I hate communists almost as much as hippies, but Yuri and Koroylev are as much heroes as von Braun and Sheppard. I hope when the space station is completed that it's named Gagarin-Sheppard Station, in honor of both pioneers. (or von Braun-Koroylev, or Ziolkovsky-Goddard)
-Braz

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
Yuri? the Russian who beat Americans into space(but not to the moon!)?? why would I celebrate that? that's not celabratory over here, that's a fact we try to overlook... (atleast I do) Do englanders celebrate events in which they are beaten by another country to a common goal?

I have to completely disagree with this. He was a hero, and it shouldn't matter that he beat us to space. He opened the door for exploration, and this attitude is simply outrageous IMHO. It doesn't matter who beat who, what matters is that we got there.

Originally posted by ELBRAZ
Party up, my fellow americans (or a couple of you anyway). Gagarin was the first of us who stepped off the mudball. I hate communists almost as much as hippies, but Yuri and Koroylev are as much heroes as von Braun and Sheppard. I hope when the space station is completed that it's named Gagarin-Sheppard Station, in honor of both pioneers. (or von Braun-Koroylev, or Ziolkovsky-Goddard)
-Braz

Well said ELBRAZ.

Today's a great day. You can salute Yuri's accomplishment as well as Young & Crippens. All three of them are pioneers...

I think I'll go work on my Zooch shuttle a little more this evening...

Back