What would you consider as too much noseweight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t believe everything your sim tells you. I’ve always waited to add nose weight until I have the rocket built and configured for flight with the heaviest motor I plan to use. Then I’ll add the actual weight needed to get the right stability margin. Just recently a member here posted how he added nose weight according to the sim and found he had a much larger margin than needed. That extra weight means of course a bigger chute, more stress on recovery harness, etc.

Just something to consider.

Tony
+1 on waiting till build is complete. Both Or and RS indicated my L3 would need lots of weight, but some strategically placed laundry shelves... and no weight was needed.

Don’t believe everything your sim tells you. I’ve always waited to add nose weight until I have the rocket built and configured for flight with the heaviest motor I plan to use. Then I’ll add the actual weight needed to get the right stability margin. Just recently a member here posted how he added nose weight according to the sim and found he had a much larger margin than needed. That extra weight means of course a bigger chute, more stress on recovery harness, etc.

Just something to consider.

Tony
Yeah I am going to wait until I have everything completed to add the weight and see where it brings the CG to.

Still debating rather or not to use a seperate parachute for nosecone or just connect it really well.

I don't see the mentioned in the thread so I thought I'd add this, since I've had it happen in a flight. Use a forged eye bolt or u-bolt on the bulkhead and a reinforced back plate (like a fender washer) behind the nut on the backside to spread the stress load on the bulkhead plate. I have had a standard press-formed eye bolt bend open to almost straight and cause a separation, as well as seeing several eye bolts pulled straight through a standard 1/4" bulkhead plate because of a heavy nose section and too short a shock cord. Allow plenty of length on the recovery harness as well as mentioned earlier. Good luck with your L2.

Back