What type of spray paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexo

Reaction score
Hey guys!

i was just wondering what is the best type of spray paint to use. Im back into rocketry after a long absence, and i need to get a few paints.

-Alexo

personnaly I like Tamiya since I am a toal rusher :p :rolleyes: it dries to the touch in 25 - 20 mins. and totally hardens in 3-4 hours :D it is a bit oin the high sdie ( $4-5 a can) but it works and bonds REALY well to alot of surfaces

thanx, Ben

Just about everyone I know (I included) uses Krylon spray paints. Lots of colors, easy to find at just about any major store chain (i.e. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Shopko, etc). It dries quickly, too.

Best Regards

Alexo,

What you should use is what you are comfortable with. Try several different brands of paint and see which one works best for you. Use several different brands on a scrap pieces of bodytube and get the feel for how it performs.

You are going to find you will get a lot of different answers to this question. What people will suggest is what they have become comfortable with. You will see many very good paint jobs from different rocketeers here on TRF using all brands of paint.

Krylon is great and I have used it on several projects but I absolutely cannot get the gloss I like so I use ACE Hardware rattle can paint exclusively. Used to be it took a while to dry, upwards of a week, but the last few cans I have used have dried much faster. Maybe they have changed their paint formula to a quicker drying recipe. Regardless, the paint is very glossy and I am able to get the performance that I like from this paint. The only problem is they have a limited choice of colors.

I have used Duplicolor color changing paint. It is unique and the results are very nice. The problem is it is pricey. I do, however, like the Duplicolor gloss paints, but again, they are somewhat pricey also and I think cheaper brands do just as good a job.(my opinion only) I've never tried Wal-Mart's brand but plan to as they have a myraid of colors and sereral TRF'ers use them with great results.

Be sure to use a compatable primer. Remember, the finished paint will be no better than the base you applied it over.

Paint is like ice cream, there a zillion different kinds. You just have to find the ones you like.

I use Kilz primer exclusively, never had a compatibility problem with my favorite paints. Those favorite paints are Krylon and Duplicolor, great glossy finish.

Hey guys, thx for all the info. I think ill run down to home depot tomorrow and go check out their selection of Krylon.

I just finished my executioner about an hour ago. So methinx ill probably do the stock paint job, and instead of a glossy black ill put a navy blue. Plus, im not gonna put that cheesy Executioner decal that comes with it.. Im gona put like MacsRockMyWorld, or MACBOY something classy like that.:D

-Alexo

i have also found that ACE brand workd better than Krylon for me. it doesnt run as easily, covers better, and is just easier to use IMO.

krylon is good paint but look for a different brand primer if you want something sandable.. their current primer is terrrible for filling and sanding.

Rustoleum Painters Touch has always worked well for me. Their primer is very sandable, as long as you let it dry. Right Sandman? ;)

Latest posts

Back