what to do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmerman

Reaction score
I have some tubes. They are 6.375 inches in diameter, wall thickness 3/16th. they are 39.5" long, very heavy duty, but a little rough. I cant decide on a design to do a cool rocket. I want something a little different than 3fnc. I also want it to fly on 54mm k's. And......go!

Nobody? An upscale? scyfi? oddroc? I'm open to anything, and I'm frankly surprised no one jumped on this. I would have.....sniff sniff. lol

I also have multiples of this tube, and i'm not above stretching it a little, or building more rockets (what a shame)!

Here

Attachments

• 20211021_183320.jpg
    20211021_183320.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211021_183509.jpg
    20211021_183509.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211021_183500.jpg
    20211021_183500.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211025_160843.jpg
    20211025_160843.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211111_182854.jpg
    20211111_182854.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 19
The only problem I see is the differing body tube sizes. Also, I'm assuming the parasite comes off somewhere.

The only problem I see is the differing body tube sizes. Also, I'm assuming the parasite comes off somewhere.
since you are doing half rings, or something a little more or less, you can probably mix sizes if you needed to. It is kind of cool that if you stick with one size, exactly six complete rings will fit around a core tube of the same size. Makes for an easier build, as you can glue the rings in pairs (thus each SHOULD be perfectly straight alignment just by setting them on a flat surface next to each other), and then the pairs will automatically "auto-align" with the core tube when you put them on.

In any case, for the design to work, you can easily go with more or less than 6, six just happens to simplify matters.

I my case it all comes down as one piece, with the nose cone attached. I am however strictly L-0. Just tipping the rocket so it comes down perfectly horizontal (and I mean PERFECTLY horizontal). That provides plenty of drag sufficient for a low power rocket, I am not so sure about a K!

I also don't know that much about K motors, i.e., just because it is bigger doesn't always mean it goes higher.

It will still work with a streamer, although I think you would want to use a swivel to keep the thing from rolling up or tangling. You can still use standard shock cord and nose cone and all comes down as one piece. The main purpose for the streamer in this case is visibility, I think I am rarely above 1000 feet, so my rockets hopefully stay in visual range.

The design will also work for BOOST purposes with a standard chute recovery, it will STILL likely spin on the way down and go horizontal (depends a bit on how big the chute is, doesn't matter that much if it DOESN'T go horizontal if you have the chute in place. I am biased, as it is my design, but I think the multiple half rings have a fairly unique look, and it will use up your tubes pretty quick.

Going a bit longer than usual definitely helps provide more surface area when the rocket goes horizontal. The disadvantage of longer rockets is you definitely need a longer rail than shorter rockets, and you need one rail button fairly well forward, maybe not all the way to CG, but close to it helps, especially if it is going to be sitting on the pad for a while, since by definition this is a high power launch. Without a forward button, with all that forward body tube there is a lot of force "twisting" the rocket while on the pad if there is any wind.

Hmmmm, one other BIG thing i hadn't thought about, will your rail fit THROUGH one of the half tubes? it so, you are golden, the button just needs a slight stand off to match the thickness of the tube ring, which isn't much, you said 3/16 of an inch. If the rail DOESN'T fit through the ring, you need a big standoff for the rail button, THAT will definitely interfere with the horizontal spin and may brake off on landing due to the rapid spin. The cut fins actually survive at least the first few landings pretty well, as the spin is in a direction WITH rather than against the curve, so it kind of bounces and keeps on spinning and slowly spools down.

anyway, looking forward to pics whatever you decide!

Could you give me some dimensions ie: Body tube sizes etc, and maybe some more pictures? I have some 3" mailing tubes that might be close enough. Or I'll find something else, when you have a lathe every tube is a body tube. I have a big pile of tubes from 3" to 6.5". I'm thinking of airstarting that parasite.......

I don't think that horizontal spin is a recovery system valid in high power rockets! This flight is not about maximum height, its a low and low sort of thing (relatively).

Me too. I think I might step the body tubes down to some 5 or 5.5 or so. Then I can use the 6.5 tubes as the ring here.

I don't think that horizontal spin is a recovery system valid in high power rockets! This flight is not about maximum height, its a low and low sort of thing (relatively).

Me too. I think I might step the body tubes down to some 5 or 5.5 or so. Then I can use the 6.5 tubes as the ring here.
Tried send pics and measurements to you .
I assume they didn't get to you as I see no record of the conversation.
If you didn't get them, I'll try it again.

Back