What makes a "real" L1 rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be cool is the mpr /hpr E - J . I should have built that 24mm adaptor

Just do the cert for you , don't follow the leader , there is many companies that makes kits that you can cert on . And there is nothing wrong with the big players I.e loc,binder,pm ,wm ,At ,RW and the like . Just do something that useful for you and your field . Adaptors are a big player in this . Cool low flight on an E9 or scream on a J ( will need a tracker for the j ) all in all have fun . And do what is safe and will get the job done . Like me have a estes e2x kit the executioner that will go on a H something it's a su motor may not get it back

Yes I know , now that is a rocket . I have two rockets that can fly on 24mm to 54mm that's a range .it's only good if your field can handle it

It is not what is on the inside of the rocket that counts. All that counts is what is on the outside, how it looks. Superficial appearance is everything. So the Real Level One Cert Rocket for Thirsty Barbarian must be a Leviathan with some cosmetic mods to make it look marvelous to any Burglar, Vandal or Goth. The nose cone must be a conical helmet that may or may not have a nasal. The body must be covered in fur or hide, a dozen rabbit pelts should do. The fins must be plentiful. I am thinking three axe head fins with an additional three horn shaped fins for a total of six to insure stability and lots of drag for a low slow flight. The rocket must look so bad as to strike fear into those with civilized book learning and polite mannerisms. After Level One victory is had all Barbarians must retire to the Great Hall for much merriment and extra crispy KFC.

It is not what is on the inside of the rocket that counts. All that counts is what is on the outside, how it looks. Superficial appearance is everything. So the Real Level One Cert Rocket for Thirsty Barbarian must be a Leviathan with some cosmetic mods to make it look marvelous to any Burglar, Vandal or Goth. The nose cone must be a conical helmet that may or may not have a nasal. The body must be covered in fur or hide, a dozen rabbit pelts should do. The fins must be plentiful. I am thinking three axe head fins with an additional three horn shaped fins for a total of six to insure stability and lots of drag for a low slow flight. The rocket must look so bad as to strike fear into those with civilized book learning and polite mannerisms. After Level One victory is had all Barbarians must retire to the Great Hall for much merriment and extra crispy KFC.
Now that sounds like a truly barbaric rocket! I think the axe fins should be slightly angled to produce whirling blades of death on takeoff. BTW, have you seen my "Pods on a Mega Der Red Max" thread?

Now that sounds like a truly barbaric rocket! I think the axe fins should be slightly angled to produce whirling blades of death on takeoff. BTW, have you seen my "Pods on a Mega Der Red Max" thread?

I have and I just gave you something to think about over on that thread. Purposely canting your sharpened blade fins to induce spin and increase drag on a Barbaric rocket being used for a first time Level One Certification attempt is. . . well . . . just plain AWESOME!

Whoa, you guys are telling me that as a silly odd roc LPR/MPR flyer I could have got my Level One by just filling out a form and sticking a baby H in the back of my stock built Leviathan?

That I didn’t have to run laps around the range singing “I don’t know but I’ve been told, VMAX propellant is mighty BOLD! – Sound off – Bring her on down – 4-3-2-1- FOUR FINS- NOSE CONE!”

That I didn’t have to repeatedly watch the video entitled “Wood Glue is for Wussies!”

That I didn’t have to commit the High Power Handbook to memory during the Pre-Certification Pledge Period.

That I didn’t have to climb to the top of the outhouse and have the Certified guy say “You might ask yourself why all your heavy odd roc nose cones are in that bucket you are holding. You might again wonder why this bucket is tied by a length of Kevlar to your *****. Well, I will tell you why, it is all about TRUST!”

That I didn’t have to make that odd roc Pledge Paddle and face the Board of Inquiry where my only answers could be YES SIR, NO SIR and THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

That I didn’t have to be blindfolded and guzzle the Jimmy Jones HI PO Kool Aid.

That I didn’t have to demonstrate Engineering and Academic proficiency by acing standardized tests in computer simulation while correctly answering the question: What is a REAL LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION ROCKET: Answer: A true 4FNC high power rocket built of composite materials with an Av Bay, high grade recovery gear, cool motor retention and will safely fly on the largest I motor available. At a minimum it should have a high gloss black finish with air brushed Skeletons smoking and playing poker.

That I didn’t have to toss all my silly LPR/MPR airplane rockets through the Ring of Fire.

That I didn’t have to wrestle the biggest high power motor casing all covered in Vaseline.

That I didn’t have to prove the stability of an odd roc by doing the Barrowman’s by hand, only with pencil, paper and a slide rule.

That I didn’t have to pledge that my motors would no longer come in a box labeled TOY PROPELLANT. Rather they would come only in large crates labeled TOP SECRET. FROM THIOKOL TO NASA.

That I didn’t have to go through the pinning ceremony shouting “THE MOTOR MAKES THE MAN,” or being shouted at “GET THE LEVEL THREE A FRESH BEER!”

That I didn’t have to solemnly swear the coolest thing in rocketry is to launch a nonmetal rocket low in the atmosphere on a motor called three seconds of Hades.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

For low and slow but HPR capable, I would suggest a 38mm Binder Design Thug. I just retired mine. I got the kit in 2004. It will get about 500 ft on a F52T, 800 ft on a G64W. It will scream on an I motor. I never did put a J350W in mine, although I thought about it.

One of our local guys put a K1100 on one of these a few years back. It survived with full recovery. Another one to consider would be the Jackhammer. Tough as nails.

Last edited:
Note to self... Never try and read incognito when in a library... Great... Not allowed back in ever again... :rofl:

Whoa, you guys are telling me that as a silly odd roc LPR/MPR flyer I could have got my Level One by just filling out a form and sticking a baby H in the back of my stock built Leviathan?

That I didn’t have to run laps around the range singing “I don’t know but I’ve been told, VMAX propellant is mighty BOLD! – Sound off – Bring her on down – 4-3-2-1- FOUR FINS- NOSE CONE!”

That I didn’t have to repeatedly watch the video entitled “Wood Glue is for Wussies!”

That I didn’t have to commit the High Power Handbook to memory during the Pre-Certification Pledge Period.

That I didn’t have to climb to the top of the outhouse and have the Certified guy say “You might ask yourself why all your heavy odd roc nose cones are in that bucket you are holding. You might again wonder why this bucket is tied by a length of Kevlar to your *****. Well, I will tell you why, it is all about TRUST!”

That I didn’t have to make that odd roc Pledge Paddle and face the Board of Inquiry where my only answers could be YES SIR, NO SIR and THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

That I didn’t have to be blindfolded and guzzle the Jimmy Jones HI PO Kool Aid.

That I didn’t have to demonstrate Engineering and Academic proficiency by acing standardized tests in computer simulation while correctly answering the question: What is a REAL LEVEL ONE CERTIFICATION ROCKET: Answer: A true 4FNC high power rocket built of composite materials with an Av Bay, high grade recovery gear, cool motor retention and will safely fly on the largest I motor available. At a minimum it should have a high gloss black finish with air brushed Skeletons smoking and playing poker.

That I didn’t have to toss all my silly LPR/MPR airplane rockets through the Ring of Fire.

That I didn’t have to wrestle the biggest high power motor casing all covered in Vaseline.

That I didn’t have to prove the stability of an odd roc by doing the Barrowman’s by hand, only with pencil, paper and a slide rule.

That I didn’t have to pledge that my motors would no longer come in a box labeled TOY PROPELLANT. Rather they would come only in large crates labeled TOP SECRET. FROM THIOKOL TO NASA.

That I didn’t have to go through the pinning ceremony shouting “THE MOTOR MAKES THE MAN,” or being shouted at “GET THE LEVEL THREE A FRESH BEER!”

That I didn’t have to solemnly swear the coolest thing in rocketry is to launch a nonmetal rocket low in the atmosphere on a motor called three seconds of Hades.

don't know if there is any specific item or detail that separates them...however, the flight characteristics might be a clew. I would define an L1 bird as one who can fly the range of the L1 motors, say 700' - 1000' on a small H to 3500' plus on a full I w/o problems. as to which rocket works for you, well I used a MadCow 4" patriot (not FG) for my cert(H123) and have since flown it on an I225, am reasonably sure that it could handle a J350 but would for me be an upper limit. HTH
Rex

I regularly fly my 4" paper tube MadCow Patriot on a massive J570. It goes to about 5,100' AGL. This is a workhorse of a rocket. No fiberglass or carbon fiber. Just 5 min. epoxy and epoxy clay for fillets. I have over 10 flights on her and the only one that was less than a "J" was my L1 flight. Love, Love, Love this rocket!

Here is a video of her flying on a J570 last November.

[video=youtube;3KdSeeS6PCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdSeeS6PCY[/video]

Back