What is this orange plastic classic sci-fi rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tjkopena

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody recognize the make and/or manufacturer of this classic sci-fi styled rocket?

It was in a box of rocket stuff my parents dug up in their basement but I don't remember it at all and haven't been able to figure out what it is. Most of the box is from ~1996 but it's definitely possible this rocket was thrown in later. There are no manufacturer or model markings on it whatsoever.

I strongly believe it was a pre-assembled, ready-to-fly rocket. All-plastic construction, orange with black printed markings (not decals), has a few molded details like hatches and ports. Three fins and flies on 13mm mini-motors. Exactly 9" from tip to tip and about 1.5"/40mm at the widest part of the body. There was no parachute or recovery mechanism inside, but an absurdly long braided elastic shock cord for a small mini-motor rocket. It has a screw-on motor retainer but the ring doesn't tighten easily with a motor actually installed, hence the tape here.

At first I wasn't particularly interested in it just for it having been pre-assembled and having some seams that are very visible up-close, but my 5-year old's taken a real liking to it and the more I look at it the more I appreciate it.

PXL_20210307_173626427.jpg

HHaase

Siegecraft Electronics
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Google search shows you to be correct, Estes Moon Dog RTF.

-Hans

tjkopena

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! I had searched fairly hard for ready-to-flies and starter kits and had not come across it. But that's definitely it. My daughter will enjoy learning it's called a Moon Dog. Thanks Antares!

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
An Estes V2 is next on my list. Maybe I'll grab 2 and play with one of them....

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
An Estes V2 is next on my list. Maybe I'll grab 2 and play with one of them....
Have a look at @James Duffy 's Spacemonkey Models V2/A4 as well. Apogee sells a conversion kit or you can fairly easily make your own. Not sure how you'd attach the fins to it, but it's a great starting point for pretty much anything V2ish.

Art Upton

Reaction score
Spacemonkey great for contesting, I have one. But Estes V2 are only $16 on the discount site. When the Spacemonkey V2 came out, I also got the special V2 in America DVD James Duffy made. They are on that site above under "DVDs"

GlenP

Reaction score
I have one of those Moondogs. There was another 13mm RTF purple rocket called the Jinx, formerly the Vampire.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Spacemonkey great for contesting, I have one. But Estes V2 are only $16 on the discount site. When the Spacemonkey V2 came out, I also got the special V2 in America DVD James Duffy made. They are on that site above under "DVDs"
Yeah, well. :mad: The Estes V2 is $60 AUD here ($47 US). The Spacemonkey V2/A4 is $38 AUD ($29.95 US). Add some bits for the conversion and it's still way cheaper than the Estes kit. Even with international postage Spacemonkey Models is a bargain for us outside the US.

Blast it Tom!

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I need one of those for the 2 yr old grandson's 1st rocket! It almost matches Daffy's (Duck Dodger's) rocket on the side of my launch controller:
20200602_180142.jpg

Well, maybe not so much but it has that "old-timey" rocket vibe!

Last edited:

GlenP

Reaction score
The Moondog is kind of similar to the TRF logo rocket, here is a 13mm cardstock version:
TRF Real Rocket Logo Alpha.gif

Last edited: