What epoxy is recommended when using syringes to inject it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcode

Reaction score
What epoxy is recommended when using syringes to inject to mount fiberglass fins/tubes together via injection method?

any epoxy that once mixed will flow, even slowly will work.
Just add 90% isopropyl alcohol to your favorite epoxy until the consistency does what you want it to. It depends a lot on the size of syringe you use. I use both 4 gauge and 8 gauge, obviously for different applications. Takes some trial and error mixing at the start to get the right consistency. My experience is that I almost always make it too thin to start with.

Just add 90% isopropyl alcohol to your favorite epoxy until the consistency does what you want it to. It depends a lot on the size of syringe you use. I use both 4 gauge and 8 gauge, obviously for different applications. Takes some trial and error mixing at the start to get the right consistency. My experience is that I almost always make it too thin to start with.
I dont like adding anything to my epoxy that changes viscosity because it can also change its cured properties, typically weaking the epoxy.

I dont like adding anything to my epoxy that changes viscosity because it can also change its cured properties, typically weaking the epoxy.
While this is true, in my experience, the loss of strength isn't an issue. I'm not adding 50% alcohol or anything like that. In most rocketry applications epoxy strengths are way way over the demands placed on them. Works for me in any case.

While this is true, in my experience, the loss of strength isn't an issue. I'm not adding 50% alcohol or anything like that. In most rocketry applications epoxy strengths are way way over the demands placed on them. Works for me in any case.

Its on a case by case basis for me as well, typically with my epoxy choices its not needed though.

I like using epoxies with a static mixer tube. J.B. Weld makes static mixers that fit their dispensers, and I have a bunch of static mixers that fit my Hysol EA 9462 cartridge. Then, I use the static mixer to do the "injection."

Don't use the short tubes. They do not give enough length for a complete mixing of the parts. you can also store them in the fridge to reuse them. Thaw them out before use and the glue is still good.

I love glue threads ! Hawk epoxy is just rebranded West System epoxy at a lower price point. I use it and it flows really nice through a syringe. You can get a kit which includes resin, hardener, filler, and the pumps shipped to your door for just under sixty dollars from The Bottom Paint Store.

Get the gun in the top picture (Ebay) and use the cartridges and the self-mixing tips ( thery come in hort and long sizes), once you use this, it's hard to go back The one in the top of the picture:
SYkRZDi.jpg

Last edited:
Get the gun in the top picture (Ebay) and use the cartridges and the self-mixing tips ( thery come in hort and long sizes), once you use this, it's hard to go back The one in the top of the picture:
SYkRZDi.jpg
I love the epoxy with self mixing tips.
Epoxy that is thin enough to practically pass through a syringe, will also have to be contained as it will try to run 'everywhere'

My experience is with BSI and T-88 epoxy. Both work well with syringes and both thin out nicely with just a little bit of heat applied. Warm your epoxy bottles in hot water for 5 mins before missing and it will be plenty thin. You can also use a hair dryer to apply heat after it is applied if you need it to move around or flow a little better.

I love the epoxy with self mixing tips.
Epoxy that is thin enough to practically pass through a syringe, will also have to be contained as it will try to run 'everywhere'
I've never had any problem with epoxy running with any of the three brands I've used

Heat epoxy to make it flow faster / easier, rather than adding alcohol. Downside is that your cure time decreases.. 30 minute becomes 10 minute..

West system is my usual choice..

Back