What does your screen name mean?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you respond to an 18-yo thread and NOT describe your screen name???:dontknow:

Just messin' with ya, but inquiring minds, and all that...

🤠
oops.

VCP was the Borrowman Center-of-Pressure program I wrote that was pretty popular in the late '80s and early '90's. Written in Visual Basic 6. Pretty sure it was the first CP program to graphically display the shape of the model as it was entered. This went a long way to reducing CP calculation errors, as the most common problem was data entry errors often caused by folks not understanding the correct measurement points. With VCP, if the graphic didn't look like your model, there was obviously a problem.

Now, just about everyone thinks that VCP stands for Visual Center of Pressure, but no. At the time I was designing a processor board that used a Transputer chip. That was a chip that was early in the realm of parallel processing. And one of the features of that chip was called a Virtual Command Processor. VCP. I was writing an early version of the CP program at the time and I needed a name to distinguish it from all the other CP programs that I'd collected, so VCP it was. However, at that time I'd not written or anticipated a 'visual' component to it, so the 'V' didn't really stand for anything.

VCP was the Borrowman Center-of-Pressure program I wrote that was pretty popular in the late '80s and early '90's.

For those who don't know, the combination of Gary's VCP + Chuck Gibke's wRASP was the OpenRocket of the time period. Very helpful, and most appreciated Gary!

I still have both on an XP machine, and a few print outs from back then.

Not a new member, but some how never commented on this one.

Way back when in HS when I got started in rocketry, I spend most of my time playing tennis and my screen name was tennisace. So starting out in rocketry Rocketace just seamed right.

Most of my first rockets were launched out of the back yard, which is surrounded mostly by forest. You know the rest of the story. There are some tree ornaments around here. Years later, I only fly in the winter on a large frozen lake, so that’s not usually an issue… until it lands on an island.

65998BA3-D0EA-4F39-9847-A77C5DD5FF67.jpeg

I’m fascinated by cichlids, and goob/goober is a term of endearment and ridicule in my group of buddies.

At my first job, in the maintenance department, there was this really large guy, they called big goob.
There was an older guy, maybe 5'2" that worked with him. They started calling him little goob.

When a supervisor was promoted, I congratulated him and he told me he was now the goob-master. (Big and little Goob were on his crew).

At halloween, Big goob duct taped 1' long 4x4's to his boots while dressed up as Frankenstein....... not sure if it was funnier than scary or vice-versa. Not really relevant, but he was a big goob.

Back