What do you drive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one of my favorite clips of all time except the part where i sound like Howard Dean...
;)

jetra2 - HOPING... NO. Saving... YES!
:D

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. 4.0L AT- Best car I've ever owned. Room for Five and the rocket stuff in the bed. I'm a Chevy Guy who traded in a lemon of a Dodge Durango on it.

1999 Lexus ES 300 (Wife's car) Replaced boring 4 cyl 5 spd Honda Accord. This is a nice car, even though it's an import. It has wierd electrical problems that you wouldn't expect from an overpriced, leather-clad Toyota.

1977 26 foot GMC Kingsley Motorhome. 455 ci (7.5L) TH425 (Front Drive) This is the EM-50 Urban Assult Vehicle from "Stripes" It's currently Being refurbished. Replaced my one-owner (dad) 6 cyl Powerglide 1966 Chevy II. I figured If I'm gonna have a "Classic" the family should be able to enjoy it too, so I have a 26 foot, 12,000 lb vintage hot rod with plumbing. It has a nice storage pod on the roof for Big rockets, and the shower makes a nice transport chamber for them also. (And Yes, there is a roof mounted missile launcher on the drawing board for it)

Recently parted with a 1990 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible with a 3.0L V6 and a rare 5 speed. So rare, the dealer parts guys said they didn't exist. Had to ask for parts for a Daytona. The thing was 11 years old, had 120K on the odo, still had it's original clutch and the AC still blew cold even though it had never been serviced (good 'ol R12). Gave it to my ex wife. The wench sold it for $400. Even though it was an "old guy's car" it was a fine K-car. Blew the doors off many unsuspecting youths in shopping cart handle equipped honda's. Would've made a fine dinghy for the Motorhome.

I always wanted a Buick Grand National. Maybe for my mid-life crisis. (three years to go)

Doesn't look like any of the Brit's have chimed in on this one. Guess Us Yankees are just a bunch of Car nuts at the core.

Used to drive a '98 Sunfire until the neighbor's tree landed on it. So, with the insurance money I bought a '97 Grand Am GT (3100 V6). Wife drives a 2002 Pontiac Montana that I drive to rocket launches. Gotta love the removable seats!

Loopy

We had a 1995 Pont trans-sport. Those removable bucket seats were cool. We usually only kept the 2nd row center seat in. It was the "Captain Kirk" Chair. My son occupied it. The 3800V6 was a runner as well.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
2003 Subaru WRX/STI (300hp)

I can get to more rocket shoots in more miserable conditions faster than is really necessary.

OOOH I'm jealous. But I do love my car. It's a 1998 Nissan 200SX SE-R. It's got the SR20DE engine in it. Purrs like a kitten. I know it's not much, but I really love everything about it. I hope to do a few mods one day. First, upgrade the suspension, then cold air intake, then maybe a turbo. OOOOOHHH that would be sweeeet.

Originally posted by Conan

Gas mileage??? Who gives a rip about gas mileage.... [/B]

You woud'nt be saying that if you lived over here in the U.K...

£3.53 per GALLON(4.5liters) thats approx...$5.90 and 80% of that goes straight to the government:mad: :mad: :mad:

Gas mileage??? Who gives a rip about gas mileage....

I do!! We all should!

The automakers sure don't!

My favorite car was my 1985 Volkswagen Jetta turbo diesel, 57mpg and power to spare.

An added bonus! If someone was tailgating you, just drop her down into a lower gear and tromp on it.

The large cloud of smelly black smoke made 'em back off in a hurry.

Unfortunately...485,000 miles was all the body had in her...she just rusted away...but...the motor was still good, sold it for $400!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
I do!! We all should!

The automakers sure don't!

Well....

The automakers follow consumer demand. If there were overwhelming demand for 50 mpg cars, they'd deliver them. Unfortunately, given where gas prices have been in the past decade or so, there's been little demand from consumers for that (when adjusted for inflation, gasoline in the U.S. is *still* as cheap as it's ever been). So, mileage has dropped behind other consumer demands, like safety (esp. the perceived safety of enrobing your loved ones in several tons of SUV steel) and performance.

If gas prices continue to head north past $2, things may change. But, don't hold your breath.

Originally posted by Chr$
We had a 1995 Pont trans-sport.

You gotta pronounce that like Patrick Stewart did in the TV ads:

"Pahwn-tee-ahhhc Trahns-poat."

Originally posted by kenobi65
(when adjusted for inflation, gasoline in the U.S. is *still* as cheap as it's ever been). ...

If gas prices continue to head north past $2, things may change. But, don't hold your breath.

Speak for yourself! Here in San Diego, we've been above $2 for quite some time now... lately we've been hovering around $2.25/gal. To make matters worse, the CA government's environmental regulations require the gas distributors to put some added chemicals into the fuel to make them burn cleaner, but it also has the added bonus of making them less efficient. So we burn more gas, and adding those extra chemicals costs money, the bill for which gets passed on to the consumer!

WW

PS: I'd take public transportation, if they had an efficient system, but when it takes 90 minutes to go 10 miles across town, with 3 bus transfers, it's not a functional system.

as far as gas prices, you can't even get bottled water for $3 a gallon. gas would be "cheap" even at $5 a gallon; it all comes down to what is your time worth. anyways, except those who commute a long way every day, I bet most people spend more on insurance than they do on gas. true for me: 15 miles, call it a gallon so $2; more than $3/day for insurance.

Get this!

I spent 2 weeks in Saudi Arabia in 1992 on a job.

Gas...$0.20 a Gallon!

Bottled water $2.00 a Liter. (outside temperature 134 degrees F!)
...and don't set the bottle down in the sun!...

I'd rather have cheap water!

sandman

Originally posted by Justy
1975 Honda Civic 1200.

SO the downSHIFT characters DO have their real life cars... I always wondered.

Usually to launches not a long ways away I am the passenger in teh Olds eighty-eight or ninety eight but long range launches... Buick Park Avenue

Mine is a 2003 Tahoe. My favorite thing about it aside from the room is the Bose sound system with the 6 disc CD in dash.
My first car was a 65 corvair convertable.

Originally posted by wwattles
Speak for yourself! Here in San Diego, we've been above $2 for quite some time now... lately we've been hovering around $2.25/gal. To make matters worse, the CA government's environmental regulations require the gas distributors to put some added chemicals into the fuel to make them burn cleaner, but it also has the added bonus of making them less efficient. So we burn more gas, and adding those extra chemicals costs money, the bill for which gets passed on to the consumer!

WW

PS: I'd take public transportation, if they had an efficient system, but when it takes 90 minutes to go 10 miles across town, with 3 bus transfers, it's not a functional system.

Sounds just like Phoenix's transit system, plus you'd have to stand in 115 degree heat in the summer watiting on all those empty buses. I have NEVER taken public transportation here except the airport parking bus and once at the fourth of july festival.

Now Paris! Ahh. The Metro was half the fun!

As for the gas, yeah, we use that oxygenated crap here too, but it's about $1.95. My Sport trac gets about 15-16 mpg so I'm happy with that.

Originally posted by wwattles

WW

Sounds just like Phoenix's transit system, plus you'd have to stand in 115 degree heat in the summer watiting on all those empty buses. I have NEVER taken public transportation here except the airport parking bus and once at the fourth of july festival.

Now Paris! Ahh. The Metro was half the fun!

As for the gas, yeah, we use that oxygenated crap here too, but it's about $1.95. My Sport trac gets about 15-16 mpg so I'm happy with that.

Teal 1994 Chevrolet 1500 C/K pick-up, V-6, 5 speed with utility shell. Vehicles for me have always been function over form. The utility shell has side bins which I can store my rocket stuff. It gets good gas milage. If I put in premium fuel, it will flat out move like a bat out of hell.

My daily driver is this medium red metalic 87 Fiero SE ... my good toy is the black prismatique 87 coupe

i still pay the same for gas as i did 3 years ago...
:(

about 6 bux a gallon for 100 octane race gas
:eek:

2000 Dodge Neon with 122K miles already. Bought a showroom model; it has NOTHING. No power locks, no power windows, not a even a latch to pop the trunk. And a horrific trunk leak issue. Its also on its third battery.

My wife has a 2003 Stratus 2-door; the one with the ground effects and jewel tail-lights. Very nice looking. It has a lot more trunk space for rocket gear, but she won't go to a rocket launch in that car; she doesn't want that 'smell' permeating the interior.

I drive a 2000 Toyota Echo. Has a huge trunk and gets 43 mpg. I like it. Has looong gears for a little car. 35 in 1st, 65 in 2nd and 95 in 3rd. Don't know about 4th or 5th... Hauls a lot of stuff around. I fit 3 55 gallon barrels in it once. :)

I used to drive a 74 VW Bug - I was the second owner. Still have it - completely restored. It does 65 maybe 70. I love that car.

Edward

Originally posted by kenobi65
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser, aquamarine metallic, license plate X WING 1. :D

Ditto, but slate green (and cheapy standard issue plates!). Pulled the back seats out and camped in it at our last 3 day launch. Tons of room for rockets and camping stuff.

Pretty decent commuter vehicle and weekend hauler.

Back