Well... This Is Just Stupid... Is There A Doctor In The House? - STATUS RESOLVED (But Still Stupid)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
[EDIT] Discovered that I no longer need to get a physician's signature... TriMet now honors Vets and Active Duty military (something that changed relatively recently).

I was diagnosed (finally) as High Functioning Autistic at the age of 30 (I'm almost 55 now). Autism is a condition that doesn't go away, like being an amputee or having Down's Syndrome. As such I qualify for a disabled access card for public transportation in the PDX Metro system (TriMet). However, in their infinite stupidity, lifelong conditions don't get lifelong Honored Citizen's Cards. We must renew (with a doctor's signature and all) the card every 5 years. I've been in China for 8+ years. My card is long since expired, and I'll be returning to the US in May. Time and money is tight and I need to get a physician to sign off on my disability so I can get the card renewed. Problem is... I don't have a stateside physician anymore.

So, is there a physician here who could fill out that portion of the form needed, and thus save me the time and expense of finding someone who can fill out the portion of the form needed? PM me if you can.

Thanks!

1707089530942.png

Last edited:
Maybe the doctor who signed off on your last one still has your medical records?

Maybe the doctor who signed off on your last one still has your medical records?
The only physician I saw about this was ~25 years ago. It's very likely they've moved on. I'm getting my medical records sent, but TriMet requires a signature from a physician on their form, or other proof (SS Disability, Medicare, VA/Disability Discharge, Sr Citizen (65+), Certified Agency, or Other Transit system's card)... I have none of those. I could be missing body parts, present myself to them, and they'd still refuse to give me the card.

I can’t help with the paperwork BS. But I was wondering if you are coming back for a visit or if you are moving back to stay.

You are old enough to need a "yearly" checkup anyway. Go get one when you get stateside. The physician may or may not be able to evaluate your long term disability but would likely accept the Chinese diagnosis, bring that paperwork. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to get an hour with a real shrink. Kinda silly to spend $300 for an hour just to get free bus rides.

I'm in that situation with Medicare, requires an endocrinologist to confirm a prescription for shoes from the podiatrist. not worth my time and $300 for $50 shoes.

You are old enough to need a "yearly" checkup anyway. Go get one when you get stateside. The physician may or may not be able to evaluate your long term disability but would likely accept the Chinese diagnosis, bring that paperwork. Good luck.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to get an hour with a real shrink. Kinda silly to spend $300 for an hour just to get free bus rides.

I'm in that situation with Medicare, requires an endocrinologist to confirm a prescription for shoes from the podiatrist. not worth my time and $300 for $50 shoes.
My diagnosis is from the US. I'm hoping to get a checkup, but I'd like to avoid the delay between arrival and whenever the physical is done.

I was diagnosed (finally) as High Functioning Autistic at the age of 30 (I'm almost 55 now). Autism is a condition that doesn't go away, like being an amputee or having Down's Syndrome. As such I qualify for a disabled access card for public transportation in the PDX Metro system (TriMet). However, in their infinite stupidity, lifelong conditions don't get lifelong Honored Citizen's Cards. We must renew (with a doctor's signature and all) the card every 5 years. I've been in China for 8+ years. My card is long since expired, and I'll be returning to the US in May. Time and money is tight and I need to get a physician to sign off on my disability so I can get the card renewed. Problem is... I don't have a stateside physician anymore.

So, is there a physician here who could fill out that portion of the form needed, and thus save me the time and expense of finding someone who can fill out the portion of the form needed? PM me if you can.

Thanks!

View attachment 628587
I wish I could help with the paperwork, I’m aware that it’s unnecessarily difficult at all stages.

Are you the first person you know with a diagnosis, or are you Patient Zero in your life ?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Apparently the biggest predictor for an autism diagnosis is an existing diagnosis in a blood relative. It’s one of the most heritable traits known. The second biggest is diagnoses in your closest social contacts. Yet another is having any other known neurodivergent traits/conditions such as ADHD, as they tend to occur together. I currently work five cases as an ABA tech and at least two of my clients have confirmed dual diagnoses. I am also autistic and I’ve come to suspect in the last few years that I have undiagnosed ADHD.

Chances are good that family members or close friends of yours might be autistic or multiply neurodivergent (as in the “AuDHD” communities that have sprung up in some online spaces) and they just may not realize it.

So sometimes what happens is that diagnoses occur in clusters centered on a particular individual and occurring in their family and social circle.

Last edited:
I was the first in my family to be diagnosed.

However, my maternal grandfather could easily have been on the spectrum (and several of my cousins on that side of the family have been diagnosed). The cousins are all grandchildren of my uncle)(outside of his lineage, there is only one other cousin who I haven't had any contact with for decades (Her mother (my blood aunt) died shortly after childbirth from cancer, and her father remarried with her being raised mostly with his family, and that of her stepmom).

My father also may be on the spectrum, but has not sought out diagnosis. My dad's paternal grandmother, now that I think about it may also have been on the spectrum, as perhaps his aunt (or they all could just be really stubborn).

Perhaps folks may notice that I uses ellipses a lot... It's one of the things that Aspies/HFAs do a lot. There's so much information we want to share (but can't normally) that we will often include in our writings. Also talking in circles (instead of being direct) is another sign... it's from a feeling of needing folks to understand why something happened, instead of just what happened. I believe this often due to our frequently being misunderstood in social situations, and needing to ensure that the listener understands why "we hold such truths to be self evident" (to use a famous line).

Perhaps folks may notice that I uses ellipses a lot... It's one of the things that Aspies/HFAs do a lot. There's so much information we want to share (but can't normally) that we will often include in our writings. Also talking in circles (instead of being direct) is another sign... it's from a feeling of needing folks to understand why something happened, instead of just what happened. I believe this often due to our frequently being misunderstood in social situations, and needing to ensure that the listener understands why "we hold such truths to be self evident" (to use a famous line).
Hmmm....I might be on the spectrum. I probably need to be checked. I definitely can identify with the need for people to understand "why" as well as the overuse of ellipses.

yes. check psychologytoday.com and select "psychiatrists" on the left side of what city you are going to live in.

gotta tell you that if you lead off with "I"m just here to get this disability form signed off" that would be a major turn-off to the provider. You'd be surprised with what we see in those cases.......

The Stupid... Just got off the horn with TriMet... If I were to go in missing a leg, missing an arm, an eye, and didn't have the paperwork, or meet any of the other criteria, they still would require a doctors visit because "They can't look at a person's disability" (apparently by law).

The STATUS RESOLVED Info...

Prior to my diagnosis, after high school, I enlisted in the USAF, and served until I was RIFd in 1990 (4 days after Sodamninsane invaded Kuwait). Until recently, my veteran (or active duty if it applied) status wouldn't have meant a thing... But they made changes while I was gone... My drivers license (though expired) shows that I'm a veteran, and I have a VA ID card. As such either of those (or my DD214) would be enough to get me the card... YAY!!!

Either the guy I need to talk to was out yesterday when I called, or the guy I spoke to didn't think to transfer me (or hear me when I mentioned the VA hospital).

Oh... For those who might need this kind of thing in the future (who are not veterans), there's nothing about the state that the physician signing off in their list of demands, so an out of state medical practitioner (including certified RNs apparently) would work.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Prayers for all of us who are somewhere on the spectrum, or the family of folks on the spectrum.

All The Best! And Happy Spring Festival (Chinese New Year)!!!

Last edited:
The Stupid... Just got off the horn with TriMet... If I were to go in missing a leg, missing an arm, an eye, and didn't have the paperwork, or meet any of the other criteria, they still would require a doctors visit because "They can't look at a person's disability" (apparently by law).

The STATUS RESOLVED Info...

Prior to my diagnosis, after high school, I enlisted in the USAF, and served until I was RIFd in 1990 (4 days after Sodamninsane invaded Kuwait). Until recently, my veteran (or active duty if it applied) status wouldn't have meant a thing... But they made changes while I was gone... My drivers license (though expired) shows that I'm a veteran, and I have a VA ID card. As such either of those (or my DD214) would be enough to get me the card... YAY!!!

Either the guy I need to talk to was out yesterday when I called, or the guy I spoke to didn't think to transfer me (or hear me when I mentioned the VA hospital).

Oh... For those who might need this kind of thing in the future (who are not veterans), there's nothing about the state that the physician signing off in their list of demands, so an out of state medical practitioner (including certified RNs apparently) would work.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Prayers for all of us who are somewhere on the spectrum, or the family of folks on the spectrum.

All The Best! And Happy Spring Festival (Chinese New Year)!!!
BTW now that you have been in china for so long, what is your opinion of the country?

BTW now that you have been in china for so long, what is your opinion of the country?
The folks are really nice... They're very friendly. There are good things and things that I think could be better (disabled access and traffic law enforcement). I'd be happy to stay here longer if it wasn't for the opportunity I've been offered in Ohio.

hate to rain on your parade.

Of course any legitimate provider will require a visit. That's called "establishing a patient - provider relationship" that is legally and ethically required to do what you want.
I'm not so certain about RN's signing that off. They are a dependent practice (requiring orders from a MD, PA or APRN) and, as such are generally not allowed to sign as a healthcare provider. This does depend on the state you are in.
And to confuse matters ever worse, in some states a psychologist or LCSW are also considered providers......

hate to rain on your parade.

Of course any legitimate provider will require a visit. That's called "establishing a patient - provider relationship" that is legally and ethically required to do what you want.
I'm not so certain about RN's signing that off. They are a dependent practice (requiring orders from a MD, PA or APRN) and, as such are generally not allowed to sign as a healthcare provider. This does depend on the state you are in.
And to confuse matters ever worse, in some states a psychologist or LCSW are also considered providers......
It appears you missed the part where I have a solution that eliminates the need for a physician's signature, thanks to my status as a veteran.

I do that a lot. As well as (probable) overuse of parentheses (just did it again... twice lol).

Latest posts

Back