Weird Fish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbug

Reaction score
Saw this T-Shirt ages ago and thought I would try to build something in a similar vein...

And a quick rough up on Rocksim file...

Here's where I need a bit of help guys...I just can't seem to get the fins just right, I'm aiming for the 'fish' look, but all the fin ( ouch! fin... ) types I tried in Rocksim gave me an unstable model...any ideas :)

Originally posted by starbug
Saw this T-Shirt ages ago and thought I would try to build something in a similar vein...

Maybe not that weird. My Daughter and I did this one that we named the "Holy Mackerel" Because we had to carve out so many holes in the body foam to get the thing under 1lb. to enter in one of the Maryland Funny Meet contests years back. Can't remember if it was entered in "UN-Scale" or "Floatation Duration" or both?
Floatation Durations was fun, as we had to fly the model out, deploy a compete recovery system and land in Middletown Park Pond. model to stay afloat the longest won:D
Holy Mackerel was set up for an 18mm C6 motors and motor mount, but the thing ended up so heavy we had to fly it on D21's...One of those Rare times I/we conceeded to using AP for one of our mod-Roc Odd-roc creations:D
PS...it was painted to look like a LM Bass...yet another love of mine..Bass'in:D

Try smaller motors, perhaps a 24mm mount; attached is an example that should be stable. The larger motors make this design difficult to balance out unless you use lots of additional nose weight. Still has to have some nose weight even for 24mm motors. Since the length to diameter ratio is less than 10:1, I added a mass-less aft transition to account for base drag effects.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
Try smaller motors, perhaps a 24mm mount; attached is an example that should be stable. The larger motors make this design difficult to balance out unless you use lots of additional nose weight. s.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Thanks Bruce, the plan was to fly this on a 'Pitfield' motor, which is a bit of an oddball, the 'motor' itself fits just nice inside the BT-60, and although physically quite a large motor, in terms of thrust works out about an E6-5, the danger is with this design, it may be a tad underpowered!
Thanks for the help tho...I'll give this design a bit more thought.

Here's something that flies VERY well on a Pitfield motor :D

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/mods/beg_bertha.html

Back