'We’re launching our own damn satellite'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
from https://www.latimes.com/local/calif...-own-damn-satellite-1536957076-htmlstory.html

Gov. Jerry Brown says California will go to space to fight climate change

Gov. Moonbeam is finally sending California into space.

Jerry Brown closed his climate summit in San Francisco on Friday with a dramatic announcement: California will launch its own satellite into orbit to track and monitor the formation of pollutants that cause climate change.

“With science still under attack and the climate threat growing, we’re launching our own damn satellite,” Brown said in prepared remarks. “This groundbreaking initiative will help governments, businesses and landowners pinpoint — and stop — destructive emissions with unprecedented precision, on a scale that’s never been done before.”

After decades of being unable to shake the moniker Gov. Moonbeam — which columnist Mike Royko branded Brown in 1976 — the governor has come to embrace it in a big way. Brown suggested around that time that California should launch its own satellite for emergency communications. At the time, the governor was in his 30s and full of ideas for the state that critics dismissed as flaky. Some were put into law and established California as a pioneer on various policy fronts, others were put on the shelf.

The governor’s Global Climate Action Summit — and the Trump administration’s reluctance to pursue robust climate research – opened the door wide open for the governor to pull the satellite vision out of the archives.

The state will develop the satellite with the San Francisco-based Earth-imaging firm Planet Labs, a company founded by former NASA scientists in 2010. The state may ultimately launch multiple satellites into space, according to the governor’s office. The California Air Resources Board is in the process of developing the monitoring technology used by the satellite. No date has been set for the launch; the process is expected to take several years.

Officials at the air board discussed the possibility of the satellite at their meeting in July, when they expressed concern that the Trump administration had mothballed its plans to use the innovative technology to monitor pollutants from above. The state officials said at the time that they hoped to launch within a few years.

Robbie Schingler, co-founder of Planet Labs, said the project will inform “how advanced satellite technology can enhance our ability to measure, monitor, and ultimately, mitigate the impacts of climate change.”

The state hopes to put the satellite to use in pinpointing the sources of climate pollutants, which could enable it to refine its regulatory approach and better understand how to mitigate warming. Data from the satellite would be made available to the public through a partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund.

Brown's announcement came in quickly delivered remarks at the close of the three-day gathering and received a standing ovation from many in the audience. Two activists who stood up on their seats saying Brown is "not a climate leader" were carried out of the auditorium by security.

Funniest crap I have read all day. My parents and friends are laughing at this.

Maybe they should launch Governor Moonbeam into orbit...

I think they should make him a bunker with filtered air and only CNN television 24-7 for entertainment. He can live out the rest of his life safe from all the pollutants. I think it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than putting a satellite up...

I think they should make him a bunker with filtered air and only CNN television 24-7 for entertainment. He can live out the rest of his life safe from all the pollutants. I think it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than putting a satellite up...

Think of the net savings though if Moonbeam were floating in space. I have no need for him to be inside a vehicle though.

CA already apparently knows everything that could possibly cause cancer (had the unfortunate need to be there for a few months a couple of years ago, and even coffee shops have the "this may cause cancer" warning, wtf?) so why not see it from above?

Go for it, not my money.

California has the fifth largest GDP in the world -- ahead of the UK -- and an Aa2 bond rating.

I stopped by the local Maker Faire today. Talked briefly with a college team planning to launch a cube-sat. They weren't sure how much it would cost in the end -- so one of them did a quick internet search and came up with numbers between $35K and $60K to get to orbit. I am guessing California can afford a few of those.

If Calif wasn't a billion over budget and years behind on his baby, the useless high speed rail to nowhere we could easily afford it!!!

If Calif wasn't a billion over budget and years behind on his baby, the useless high speed rail to nowhere we could easily afford it!!!

California has a budget surplus of ~$9B. Of course, that number was reported by the WSJ so take it FWIW.

For a forum that is devoted to rocketry, there's an awful lot of hostility toward a satellite potentially being bought and launched. Seems weird.

Umm...

It's called HUMOR...

Lighten up Francis...

I expect that we all understand that the comments were meant to be funny, and that some of the folks reading here found them be funny. The joke -- that Governor Brown's statement is irrational or unrealistic -- is based upon a flawed premise (several flawed premises).

It may be that the Governor is irrational and unrealistic in some other context. However, launching a satellite -- or a dozens of little satellites -- is both possible and, arguably, proper.

California is geographically large, with a large population. The government of California is responsible for protecting the physical and economic welfare of its citizens. If the satellites that are under threat of being decommissioned are a resource upon which the government of California relies to manage this responsibility replacing them may be the best solution.

https://science.nasa.gov/technology...eric-detector-technology-demonstrated-cubesat
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2613/ravan-cubesat-measures-earths-outgoing-energy/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-wave-of-mini-satellites-could-boost-climate-research/

Back