Ways to make my own model rocket engine in Norway?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindChirp

Reaction score
So, I am really interested in creating my own model rocket from scratch, and that includes creating a solid rocket motor. I have seen a bunch of tutorials on how to make these engines at home, but these require ingredients that are strictly regulated here in Norway (seems like USA don't mind too much selling KNO3 to the average Joe).

I also checked out ways to make it out of NH4NO3 (Ammonium Nitrate) mixed with Aluminum and binding agents, but the ammonium nitrate is not easy to get unless you are a farmer (because of the terrorist attacks 22. July 2011)

So I'm sitting here wondering if the only possibility is to go out and buy myself a rocket engine.
Do anyone know of a way where I can avoid this?
Thanks in advance :)

As someone who has made rocket motors of various types for almost 30 years---even wrote a book on it ;), I suggest that in your situation, buying rocket motors will be the wise choice. Making rocket motors has a learning curve that is likely to cost you...not just chemicals and parts, but also destroyed rockets. As if that isn't bad enough, unless you have a genuine wilderness for testing motors, it's highly likely that someone will report the loud noises. And you may get a first-hand look at relevant law enforcement procedures.... :oops: :(

Best -- Terry

Why not? If he learns how to do it safely, then where is the issue? Seems like too many people here think that someone inexperienced in motor construction can't/ shouldn't experiment just like most anyone else had to do to get their start.
The fact that the OP is in Norway makes the situation quite a bit different from the US. OP said he can't get potassium nitrate, so it's a dead certainty that anything for making APCP is out of the question. And if the laws are that strict about just buying chemicals, the consequences of misuse of those chemicals are likely to be extreme.

Perhaps OP can find a nearby university club that can help, as dhbarr suggested.

Best -- Terry

These are always interesting posts.

for the original poster.

welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here, and I wish you well in your rocketry endeavors.

in your very first post here, you ask about home made rocket motors. As you have seen online, there is plenty of information on them, but the materials are difficult to get in some places and the risks for experienced rocketeers are low but not negligible, the risks to inexperienced rocketeers is high.

I don’t think it makes sense for anyone to consider doing it until they have considerable experience in flying standard rockets. You may have a lot of experience with these, I can’t tell from the limited information you have provided. As a minimum, you should likely have successfully dealt with reloadable rocket motors before you start building your own.

what is your goal? If it is the challenge of building and launching and recovering a rocket from scratch, including the motor, you might consider water rockets. These literally started as a child’s toy (I had one as a kid.) people have been messing with them for a while, and currently they range from still simple to pretty darn challenging, including staging. You not only will need to build the rocket and the nozzle, you will need to build the filling system, “firing” apparatus, and launch tower. A brief google search says the world record for altitude is 830 meters. I have seen many if the YouTube videos, and the water rocketeers look like they are having a lot of fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_rocket
last I checked, water is relatively abundant and not heavily regulated in Norway.

So if it is your craftsmanship and engineering skills you want to develop, there are other options .

in any case, if at all possible, it is a good idea to meet with and fly with some rocketeers experienced with what you want to do before committing your time and effort into anything. 95% of my rockets are scratch builds (but I use commercial motors), but I built 10 or 20 kits before I started on my creative kick to “learn the ropes.” Working with experienced rocketeers will reduce the amount of time you spend “reinventing the wheel.”

as @prfesser said
Making rocket motors has a learning curve that is likely to cost you...not just chemicals and parts, but also destroyed rockets.

what he didn’t specify is that the “parts” it may cost you include fingers and eyes.

I agree with @Troy3003 ,

If he learns how to do it safely, then where is the issue?

key word is “safely.” IMO (humble or not) “learning safely” involves doing it after discussion with and under direct supervision of someone who has already DONE it successfully, something you can’t get from seeing any number of YouTube videos.

i wish you many safe and successful flights and recoveries, and I hope you have a great time doing so. I will refrain from wishing you have a blast!

Looks like he's gone . . .

I was going to tell him about buying "stump remover", "flowers of sulfur", and charcoal to make "poor man's BP".

Dave F.
Nice, but all jokes aside, it is much cheaper to just buy the chems outright from a reputable source. The reddit toddlers do alright with Spectricide (if they can avoid the reformulated (adulterated) version because Spectracide and all of their distant cousins now know where a bunch of it is going outside of killing tree stumps; Home Depot doesnt' even carry it anymore! Costs 2-3x more than needed in hardware stores anyways than pure for-the-purpose KNO3...) and garden sulfur (rarely pure in garden formulations where top purity is both cheap and legal--$3/pound max), but it's the charcoal that always gets 'em if they figure out the other two items...because busted up Kingsford briquettes with all their clay binders and slow wood source to start with, or the overpriced ($3/pound) classical "commercial airfloat" that everybody sells but is absolute hardwood-derived bunk for propellants...great for charcoal fountains and sky effects, though!

That's the mortar & pestle crowd, who will always fail and are no real danger besides burning off their eyebrows from time-to-time and, unfortunately, putting the family homestead at risk with their "BP" that is flammable (so is sugar and doritos...) but worthless. Those folks (and surprisingly not always teens/tweens/younguns) get weeded out quickly when looking for help on all reputable pyro/fireworking websites (yes, yes, there are several that are very reputable!). Some, though (Reddit/Youtube) are menaces to society, for sure.

But please not so quick to bash anybody that is considering learning to make their own BP (or APCP, or sugar) rockets. TRF is loaded with all types of rocketeers, low-tech LPR/MPR afficianodos like me who like big fat rockets flying low and slow so you can see the whole flight (occasionally with pyrotechnic non-thrusting attachements to enhance visability for nite flights; way brighter than any night-flight LEDs I've seen ever, tsk tsk). Or the HPR crew that will forever eclipse me in their talents with high-impulse motor construction (the experimentals) but moreso the majority of HPR folks who are de factro engineers and rocket scientists, whether university-trained or self-trained. The attention to detail and complexity of design always amaze me!

Good flying, whatever your favorite niche!!!

Back