3D Printing Wanted: Filament recommendation (silk multicolor)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a household directive to 'Print some pretty stuff with that shiny stuff that has different colors in it. That cute rose dragon thingy that moved, a rose, a cute little frog, maybe a turtle......."

I have zero experience with silk multicolor filament, and a quick search through Amazon shows that it's mostly non-mainstream brands, but oddly enough many of them have mostly positive reviews.

If you've used any of this stuff, what are your experiences with it and what brand have you had the most luck with?

I'll be running the stuff through an Ender 3 Pro, if that matters any.

Sunlu is my favorite silk filament. The interlayer adhesion is not as good and there tends to be more stringing, so be ready for that if you have not used silk before. Multicolor comes in different repeat pattern lengths, so depending on your print it can end up being the same color.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the prettiest filament I have ever used - especially on multi-facetted objects (like a King!) It has 5 silk colors thru-out the entire length - no transitions. Purple, Blue, Green, and Yellow!

Pretty_One.jpg

I cannot find it now - it's not in my Amazon history either? I apologies!

Pretty_King.jpg

Dual or Tri extruded (colors) silk PLAs are out there. These are the same color all along the filament - no transitions. They look different as you turn the object to view it from different angles.

Then there are the transitional silks - they print one color for so many layers, then go to another color for x layers...

Both kinds print pretty decent. Silk PLA extrudes kinda thick, but is mind mannered.

Sunlu is my favorite silk filament. The interlayer adhesion is not as good and there tends to be more stringing, so be ready for that if you have not used silk before. Multicolor comes in different repeat pattern lengths, so depending on your print it can end up being the same color.
Good stuff!

This is the prettiest filament I have ever used - especially on multi-facetted objects (like a King!) It has 5 silk colors thru-out the entire length - no transitions. Purple, Blue, Green, and Yellow!

View attachment 584160

I cannot find it now - it's not in my Amazon history either? I apologies!

View attachment 584161

Dual or Tri extruded (colors) silk PLAs are out there. These are the same color all along the filament - no transitions. They look different as you turn the object to view it from different angles.

Then there are the transitional silks - they print one color for so many layers, then go to another color for x layers...

Both kinds print pretty decent. Silk PLA extrudes kinda thick, but is mind mannered.
OVV3D sells a lot of filament colors on Amazon. They have a Blue Green Orange, Red Blue Green, Red Blue Yellow, and many more.

Are there any decent PETG or ABS filament manufacturers who don't have 4-7% one-star reviews on Amazon? I can't tell if the poor experience is due to user error or if they really are crummy products with a lot of fake positive reviews.

Are there any decent PETG or ABS filament manufacturers who don't have 4-7% one-star reviews on Amazon? I can't tell if the poor experience is due to user error or if they really are crummy products with a lot of fake positive reviews.
At my job we use eSun as it is the most consistent that we have found. We've printed dozens of kilograms of it and it just works print after print.

The key with any filament is tuning the settings correctly for your machine.

The key with any filament is tuning the settings correctly for your machine.
My brother does a LOT of 3D prototype printing in his .gov job. He says the same thing.

As to filament manufacturers having negative reviews, I think that there is crap out there.....but by and large it's user error. There are SO MANY machines and SO MANY settings and SO MANY different slicers out there that there really is no way to make sure, from a manufacturing standpoint, that you can accommodate every single option.

I use a lot of PLA in making stuff for TTRPG and war games. I've never really found anything that I couldn't make work on my little Ender3 Pro by tuning the machine......other than gray. ANYTHING gray. Just simply won't stick to any bed surface that I have or starts to warp off the bed as the layers stack, making for warped corners, even with glue stick, brim, even a raft most times has the same issues! Then I discovered Ender brand filament, and it's the ONLY gray that I've ever gotten to work, first time and every time.

Luckily we have a little circle of friends here where we pass off half used or problem rolls of filament to each other, usually with satisfactory results.

Back