• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Wanted-- Command Control Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Estes Alien Space Probe I am willing to trade for a Command Control Launch Controller. I would be willing to entertain any other trades as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230223_155757.jpg
    20230223_155757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230223_155808.jpg
    20230223_155808.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
You mean the big black Estes ones that take two of the 7.2V battery packs?

If so, I have two and would be willing to part with one. I'd prefer cash over a kit that would just end up collecting dust in my basement.

-Kevin

You mean the big black Estes ones that take two of the 7.2V battery packs?

If so, I have two and would be willing to part with one. I'd prefer cash over a kit that would just end up collecting dust in my basement.

-Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Yes that's the one. I understand if you don't want to trade. How much did you want for the controller?

I'm going to be honest, I don't remember what they cost new, I don't know what they're worth.

-Kevin

I have one. I don't want the kit. $100 + 12 shipping. It works. Is in great shape. No batteries. No need to say no. Contact me otherwise.
Oh,,, its you! I'd trade for AP motors. E's, F's... etc... I am using a 11v lipo which makes it think its got about 1/2 power. I simply had a RC transmitter battery with a Tamiya connector.
Because I know you, LOL, I'd throw that in (you'll have to have a balancing charger). Not sure what would happen if you instead used a single 14v lipo. Motors... a Chute Release? You know... stuff. But kits? I have almost 400. Do not need! :D

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I may have to rethink this one. I may just post the kit for the $$$ and take it from there. I'm not in any hurry, but I appreciate your replies.

Wasn't implying that it was. It is a new product for his consideration. I do have a Command Control. I find it awkward.

Chas

Wasn't implying that it was. It is a new product for his consideration. I do have a Command Control. I find it awkward.

Chas
Agreed. Mine was an impulse (a PUN!! :D) purchase off of eBay. It works fine and is my backup controller. I do not like any controller where I have to use both hands to launch - aka spring loaded safety switches. My normal controller makes quite an annoying racket to let you know its 'armed' without the use of a spring loaded switch.

I consider taking images of my rockets launching a hobby within a hobby. And I need both hands free to do that. Whereas you @kuririn have Ron to do that for you! :D

Build a foot controller.
For the safety/armed switch use a key instead of a momentary button.
Switch the key on, launch with your foot, both hands free to shoot video.

What makes them unique is the 14v dual battery option. NiCads, tho have their issues, can dump a lot of amps. NiMh not as much. And of course my 20C transmitter lipo can burst about 36amp at 11v. When clustering, mo is usually better. If lighting one? I think an Estes Controller (made ematch safe) will light MJG ematches dipped in some goo to get your AP rocket rocketing.

Build a foot controller.
For the safety switch use a key instead of a momentary button.
Switch the key on, launch with your foot, both hands free to shoot video.
Great minds.... :DI have exactly that. A foot switch in parallel with the main firing button. Some boy scouts poo poo on that... But then I normally only use it at private launches. And as I said, there is NO DOUBT when it's armed... it is quite loud.

I have both a Command Control and one of the new NCR LaunchMaster controllers. I love the Command Control but it has one serious drawback I have run into several times now. If the yellow slider power control button is not left completely in the "off" position it will discharge the batteries, even if clips are not touching and power key is not inserted. I have now had several instances of showing up at a launch with a dead Command Control even though I completely charged it at home the day before. I now use masking tape to tape the power control button in the off position when not in use. This problem is not particular to a single Command Control. I have had the same thing happen with different units. Why this happens I have no idea but it is a serious drawback, showing up at a launch with a dead ccntroller.

The NCR LaunchMaster is a great controller. More compact than the CommandControl and huge capacity. Capable of hundreds of launches on a single battery charge and you don't have to remove the battery to recharge it. Fits perfectly into an Apache 1800 hard case (only $15 at Harbor Freight).

I have both a Command Control and one of the new NCR LaunchMaster controllers. I love the Command Control but it has one serious drawback I have run into several times now. If the yellow slider power control button is not left completely in the "off" position it will discharge the batteries, even if clips are not touching and power key is not inserted. I have now had several instances of showing up at a launch with a dead Command Control even though I completely charged it at home the day before. I now use masking tape to tape the power control button in the off position when not in use. This problem is not particular to a single Command Control. I have had the same thing happen with different units. Why this happens I have no idea but it is a serious drawback, showing up at a launch with a dead ccntroller.
I've always just disconnected the batteries when mine isn't in use.

What makes them unique is the 14v dual battery option. NiCads, tho have their issues, can dump a lot of amps. NiMh not as much. And of course my 20C transmitter lipo can burst about 36amp at 11v. When clustering, mo is usually better. If lighting one? I think an Estes Controller (made ematch safe) will light MJG ematches dipped in some goo to get your AP rocket rocketing.
I do miss NiCads not being as widely available as they once were. Yes, they have their shortcomings, such as memory issues. Still, they are light and they can put out a lot of current for a short amount of time without being damaged.

I've always just disconnected the batteries when mine isn't in use.
Troj,
Definitely an option but I find disconnecting and connecting the batteries in the Command Control a real pain. That's why I always use the external charging port to recharge the batteries instead of the internal Tamiya connectors.

When NCR was developing their new controller I strongly suggested they incorporate an external charging port, which they did. Have not had any problems with it auto-discharging itself, and it is very convenient to charge. Charger fits in the apache case with the unit very nicely.

I love my Command Control but I frequently fly with my gear so the smaller NCR unit in an Apache case has become my controller of choice. Lord knows it is problably my 10th controller over all these years (Estes, Centuri, Quest, Pratt, BMS).

I do miss NiCads not being as widely available as they once were. Yes, they have their shortcomings, such as memory issues. Still, they are light and they can put out a lot of current for a short amount of time without being damaged.
NiCds are light? Compared to what, lead acid?

I switched my Command Controller from 2x 7.2volt NiCads to 2x 7.2volt NiMh packs, same form factor, and have better performance.

Back