Want a free education from MIT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward

Reaction score
My alma mater MIT has been leading the way in what is known as open courseware for some time. When I graduated in 2005, this was just getting started. I recently took a look at the offerings and am impressed. You can enroll in any of these open courses for free. You have to take tests and turn in problem sets and you get college credit for it. Did I mention that it's free. Currently tuition and housing runs about $60k, so that's quite a deal.

While glancing through the open courses I found a course that might be of interest to my friends here at TRF: Introduction to Propulsion Systems. Lecture one is the rocket equation. There was a later lecture on nozzles. Even if you don't enroll in the course, you can read over the course notes (pdf) and try your hand at the problem sets. You can enroll as a listener as well. In that case, you don't get a grade, but you can watch the lectures (video) and have your problem sets graded (feedback) and questions answered by the course TA.

Some MIT vernacular in case you come across it:
We call homework problem sets.
We don't refer to majors by their names but by their number, e.g. chemistry is course 5, physics is course 8.
Buildings are also referred to by their number, the big dome from Good Will Hunting is called building 10. Doubt that will be important for an online course.
The school year is pretty much the same as everywhere else on the semester system except our Spring semester starts in February and January is called IAP or independent activity period.
A lecture is what most people refer to as a class, i.e. professor at chalkboard writing and talking. They are generally about an hour to an hour and a half long and two or three times a week.
A recitation is an extra lecture or general discussion outside of class. They are generally an hour long and once a week. Ask questions, get help with problem sets, etc.
A TA is a teaching assistant and they lead the recitations. They are almost always graduate students. They usually do most of the teaching and grading.

I'm sure they have made the web site easy to understand for all, but while scanning I did see TA, recitation, and problem set used. There are other courses too. Here is the main open courseware page: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

I've know about the free open courseware since the beginning, but didn't know you could get credit for the courses. Has it always been that way? As usual, MIT leads the way.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/sep/11/mit-cambridge-harvard-top-university

BTW, did you get your Pirate Degree? My stepdaughter wanted to, but she's just too busy with 5 courses a semester.
No I did not, but wanted to. I always wanted to try my hand at fencing. I wanted to do a lot of the MIT lore stuff--hacking (not computer type), assassins guild, pirate degree, etc.--but ended up spending most of my time in a basement lab working. It's definitely a different culture. I have visited Universities around the world and have yet to find anything quite like it. Your stepdaughter is fortunate to get such an experience.

Will you get an IHTFP sweatshirt?

There was a controversy with that shirt at the Coop while I was there, but I was never a fan of it. My favorites are
maxwell.jpg

though I wish they had done it in Einstein notation instead. I can't count the number of muslims that asked me if that was arabic.

and

pvnr.jpg

Extremely cool.
However, I seem to be missing something. You stated that taking tests and getting college credits was possible (for free!). I'm not seeing that in a quick scan of the site. There is also this direct quote from their FAQs: " •No registration, no enrollment, and no grades or credits are offered."
So, which is it?

s6

Extremely cool.
However, I seem to be missing something. You stated that taking tests and getting college credits was possible (for free!). I'm not seeing that in a quick scan of the site. There is also this direct quote from their FAQs: " •No registration, no enrollment, and no grades or credits are offered."
So, which is it?

s6
I'm checking on that. I have a friend that does this frequently. He takes two or three classes a semester. I didn't see anything regarding enrollment either, but I know he does this so I'll see if I can get some details on how to register. I do know that classes started last week because he needed some help with integration and mentioned that the class had just started. I should find out sometime today. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ok, got the information about enrollment. Go to https://www.edx.org/ and create an account. From there you can choose a course. The only rocket related courses I see going on now are Introduction to Aerodynamics and Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics.

Some MIT vernacular in case you come across it:
We call homework problem sets.
We don't refer to majors by their names but by their number, e.g. chemistry is course 5, physics is course 8.
Buildings are also referred to by their number, the big dome from Good Will Hunting is called building 10. Doubt that will be important for an online course.
The school year is pretty much the same as everywhere else on the semester system except our Spring semester starts in February and January is called IAP or independent activity period.
A lecture is what most people refer to as a class, i.e. professor at chalkboard writing and talking. They are generally about an hour to an hour and a half long and two or three times a week.
A recitation is an extra lecture or general discussion outside of class. They are generally an hour long and once a week. Ask questions, get help with problem sets, etc.
A TA is a teaching assistant and they lead the recitations. They are almost always graduate students. They usually do most of the teaching and grading.

You do realize that there are lots of other Colleges and Universities in the World -- good ones -- and lots of other people have attended them, right?

You do realize that there are lots of other Colleges and Universities in the World -- good ones -- and lots of other people have attended them, right?

Before I found the edx link, I thought the terminology on the mit site might be confusing. It was for me. No reason to get defensive, just trying to help.

Back