Von Braun Space Ferry kit under development

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
Reaction score
With the success of the V-2 in resin it's time to do another kit of a Von Braun design I have loved since I first watched it on Disney's "Man in Space series in the late 50's. The Collier's Man in Space book I still have.
colliers-magazine-cover-displaying-concept-spaceplane-spaceship-and-spaceflight-circa-march-19...jpg luohtt0v06w41.jpg

It captured my imagination and I fell in love with manned exploration of space and all things spacecraft and rockets. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. That series must have spawn 1000's of rocketeers, scientist, pilots, engineers and more. I've seen it all from the Space Ferry's trip to space and back again via Disney animation to Elon's monster Starship sitting on the pad getting ready to go to space. The child excitement still burns bright in me at nearly 70 years of age and shows no sign of burning out.

Mark Helmick and I start our planning today at the studio. He has already 3D printed a small model based on the Collier's images. It's my plan to make it large enough that the Space Ferry itself can free flight glide back to Earth. Vacuum forming the fuse may also be an option. I know it has been done successfully in the past with a pretty small rocket that Ryburn Ross did this awhile ago.

WvBFerry-pad.gifWvBFerry-go.gifWvBFerry-glide.gif

With the shape of the body tube on this beautiful rocket the launch lug will pass through it and out the side near the top. The entire body will be resin cast. I'm able to get it pretty thin now and light weight. My big concern is keeping the Space Ferry fuselage light enough to fly well. It will need to have balsa wings but the rest of this rocket will be all resin cast and very scale to the drawing with those lovely curves.

This has been a bucket list item for a very long time for me. It starts today.

Steve has some nice scale models, V-2 resin and X-15 are a couple I have done in the last year. They are unique builds, he has prepared some of the parts by hand.C2B19F7E-2DC8-4FAC-86F0-AB05C44424C8.jpeg73021C30-AC32-4DEA-9CF6-B26BE32AE320.jpeg

Back