Vintage Centuri Evel Knievel Build, with Semrocs help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
This is a kit I bought for a decent price but was missing the fibre board sheet, luckily Semroc has this part laser cut so it was no problem. As you can see, I also bought the Semroc nose cone and it is a good match to the plastic version. I will of course be using the original nose and decals.

DSC_0824.JPG

DSC_0839.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

Awesome buy! Looking forward to the build. It is great you were able to fill in the missing parts.

This is a kit I bought for a decent price but was missing the fibre board sheet, luckily Semroc has this part laser cut so it was no problem. As you can see, I also bought the Semroc nose cone and it is a good match to the plastic version. I will of course be using the original nose and decals.

By any chance would you share the Semroc part numbers? I searched for the them but didn't have any luck. Thanks.

You can email Semroc, I also want to buy a couple of more.

Evel - I met the man once.

It was at a bike trade show (I used to be in the industry) and he was there signing autographs in support of an Evel Kneivel branded BMX bike. A guy I knew back home (Pete) was a big fan, so I decided to get an autograph for him. Pete and I both were old school punk rockers and a common saying to describe something cool was "that's punk rock". Evel, as you may know, is a pretty straight laced conservative kinda guy (in the Clint Eastwood vein). So, when I came up to the table I asked him to write on the photo, "Hey Pete, it's punk rock! - Evel"

The look on his face was just priceless.

For a moment it looked like he was going to slug me. But he signed it as I asked, handed it to me with a look of disgust, and glanced around me for the next person in line.

Pete loved the pic/autograph.

s6

I ordered some more laser cut parts from Semroc, may want to build this again in the future. I also ordered another Spaceman for XMas, thank you Semroc. This build is a on hold for a week, I had knee surgery so I am still recovering.

Another Evel anecdote-

Guy I know is a golf pro. Not a terribly good one, when I met him he was working as a club maker at Golfsmith. But he was a pretty decent player who wasn't good enough to tour or bright enough to be much of a teaching or club pro. Once he and his wife are in Vegas, she's at a conference. So he goes to some course and asks if they have room for a single and mentions that he's a pretty good player. The head pro asks what his handicap is and if he's interested in playing for some high stakes. Guy says, "well, I'm a professional, so I don't have a handicap, and it depends on what you mean by high stakes. I'll play for a couple hundred bucks but that's all I can afford"

Pro says "I've got a regular who is missing his usual partner today, but this group plays for some real money. Lets see what they say." They go out to the putting green, and its Evel. Of course he was known for playing for thousands per hole, so my friend tells him right off, "this might not be the game for me."

Evel says, "you say you are a good player, I'll believe you. I'll cover it if we lose and we split what we win."

They won about 5 grand and afterwards Evel took this guy and his wife out to dinner. He said Evel was the nicest guy in the world, but who knows how that would have gone had he played badly.

Thanks for providing info on Semroc parts I have been wanting to build this one for over 30 years.

Excelsior is working on the decals!

Up and walking, I was able to finish the construction, next will be priming.

DSC_0833.JPG

DSC_0835.JPG

DSC_0838.JPG

Just curious as to how you are going to simulate the original flight? You know, the parachute deploys upon launch. Then you need something like a thousand green Army men to simulate the crowd that rushed the edge of the Snake River Canyon, shoving those closest over the edge. Then you have to leave the launch rail setup for YEARS pointing like a middle digit to the sky, flipping off all the stupid people that paid to attend.

Ahhhhh, the memories ;)

I was able to finish my build today and she looks pretty good. I was unable to use the decals so I made my own with the Alps printer, it is the exact same decal that Sandman is using. I am not happy with the plastic nose cone and may replace it with the Semroc balsa nose, much better blend. The Semroc laser cut parts were perfect and the only thing that was missing was the shock cord mount. I think Semroc did this on purpose and I don't blame them. I did have the original mount so I used it on this build. Thanks to Semroc and Sandman, this build is available for all.

DSC_0824.JPG

DSC_0825.JPG

DSC_0829.JPG

DSC_0834.JPG

DSC_0836.JPG

It looks great!

I was thinking of making mine rear eject for a more scale recovery.
I will go with a 18mm mount extending the full length of the airframe and a streamer on the mmt.
May even make a small cross form chute just like the real one.

Back