Velocity at Deployment to high on Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey.guardino

Reaction score
I am building a level 1 HPR with a 3'' fiberglass body and have been going through simulations on open rocket but keep getting a warning about the parachute deployment being released at high speeds (44 m/s). I have switched out the simulation with many H and I motors and still get high speeds. What do I do to fix this? I have a nylon 36'' parachute so I'm guessing my rocket will not land safely if I attempt a launch right now haha.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.57.59 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.58.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.58.37 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-11 at 11.58.53 AM.png

Yes, delay is too long. You can see in the plot that you're deploying well after apogee. Also, if you look at the sim results:

1691854687626.png

It's recommending 9.55s delay while you have 14 seconds. That means you're deploying 4.5 seconds after apogee, which is too long.

Same info, available in different forms.

I am building a level 1 HPR with a 3'' fiberglass body and have been going through simulations on open rocket but keep getting a warning about the parachute deployment being released at high speeds (44 m/s). I have switched out the simulation with many H and I motors and still get high speeds. What do I do to fix this? I have a nylon 36'' parachute so I'm guessing my rocket will not land safely if I attempt a launch right now haha.

First of all, welcome to the forum, Joey! And good luck on your L1 flight!

As Buckeye mentioned, your delay is at max delay time of 14 seconds.

Aerotech now supplies motors with a full-length delay and the user adjusts the delay element for the flight as needed. In the sim, you manually change that when selecting the motor.

You can do it with one iteration. Select the motor as OpenRocket loads it, as you have done. Run the sim and look at what is calculated to be the optimum delay, as Neil has pointed out. Select the motor again, and this time manually change the delay to the Optimum delay of 9.5

1691856024971.png

You may have already figured all this out, so this is posted for the benefit of others who may read it.

As Mark already said, motor delay is not very precise. Acceptable tolerance for motor delay time, by NFPA Standard:
"The ejection delay must not vary more than 1.5 second or 20% (whichever is greater, up to 3s) from average."

In this case, for a 9.5 s delay, any ejection time from 7.6-11.4s is in tolerance. Build your recovery system accordingly.

Consider the optimum time as a whole number at best, and then keep in mind that you'll set it by twisting a drill bit into rubber with your fingers.

Yes, delay is too long. You can see in the plot that you're deploying well after apogee. Also, if you look at the sim results:

View attachment 597690

It's recommending 9.55s delay while you have 14 seconds. That means you're deploying 4.5 seconds after apogee, which is too long.

Same info, available in different forms.
Got it thank you so much for the help!! This makes sense.

Aerotech now supplies motors with a full-length delay and the user adjusts the delay element for the flight as needed. In the sim, you manually change that when selecting the motor.

You can do it with one iteration. Select the motor as OpenRocket loads it, as you have done. Run the sim and look at what is calculated to be the optimum delay, as Neil has pointed out. Select the motor again, and this time manually change the delay to the Optimum delay of 9.5

View attachment 597693

You may have already figured all this out, so this is posted for the benefit of others who may read it.

As Mark already said, motor delay is not very precise. Acceptable tolerance for motor delay time, by NFPA Standard:
"The ejection delay must not vary more than 1.5 second or 20% (whichever is greater, up to 3s) from average."

In this case, for a 9.5 s delay, any ejection time from 7.6-11.4s is in tolerance. Build your recovery system accordingly.

Consider the optimum time as a whole number at best, and then keep in mind that you'll set it by twisting a drill bit into rubber with your fingers.

View attachment 597693

You are amazing. Thank you so much for both the welcome and all of this golden information!! This makes me so happy and excited to be joining the rocket/aeronautics world :) This is all the information I need.

Thank you so much for both the welcome and all of this golden information!! This makes me so happy and excited to be joining the rocket/aeronautics world :) This is all the information I need.

👍 This forum is full of very sharp and helpful members who are happy to share what they've learned. In no time, you'll be doing the same!

Keep us posted on your L1 progress. And pictures, man. Post pictures of whatever you've built!

I am a little confused. I thought you were supposed to be shooting for 50-75 ft/sec descent rate on your drogue. That is going to be the velocity that you main comes out at - right?

Back