VAST Is Back

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Neff

Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that I have re-secured the Croft Field and that we have tentatively scheduled a July 12th Sport and July 13th Research launch. I know this conflicts with other "local" launches, but it's been awhile since our club has had the opportunity to fly. We will resume our normal "first weekend of the month" launch in either August or September.

The GPS coordinates for the Croft Field are 38° 8'24.12"N and 79°11'51.85"W if you'd like to check it out in Google Earth. Directions may also be found on the main page of our website (www.valleyaerospace.com).

Here's a brief description:
It is located near Swoope, VA about 5.3 miles North of the Arehart #3 site we previously launched at and about 5.5 miles South-West of Staunton, VA. It is bounded by three roads in a near triangular configuration. Cattleman Road running approx. 6,000 ft in the North direction to Livick Road. Livick Road running approx. 6,000 ft. in the East direction to Glebe School Road, and Glebe School Rd. running approx. 8,500 ft. in the South-West direction back to Cattleman Road. There are also relatively open fields in all directions surrounding the property (different owners). Most of it is pasture/hay fields with a few crops of corn. Measuring acreage from the Augusta County GIS website, there's more than 2,000 acres of farmland with the 450 or so acre Croft Property nearly right in the center. As with the Arehart site, it's not flat, but beggars can't be choosers.

The FAA Waiver will remain for 15,000 feet AGL from Sunrise to Sunset and 5,000 feet AGL from Sunset to Midnight. "M" impulse limit with larger motors being considered on a case by case basis.

Monitor www.valleyaerospace.com for launch updates.

Feel free to contact me with questions/comments.

Thanks!

This is fantastic news. Anytime we hear of a new field being used for launching in this day and age is serious cause for celebration.
Congratulations, and pass on our gratitude to the field owners!

Glad you got a flying field again. Looks like a road trip needs to be planned for next month.

Great news, Chuck! It is extremely kind of the Croft family to let us use their property so soon after their loss!

Saturday was a nice day for things. There were only a couple flights and my 3 G53 fatbot went from 18" to about 8" in length. It was cool going up and cooler coming down!! ;)

Ben

Back