Quantcast

USS Bonhomme Richard on fire at Naval Base San Diego

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

boatgeek

Reaction score
The Navy decided to decommission the Bonhomme Richard and is about to begin parting her out for other ships. Rebuilding to the current service would have cost $3 billion, and rebuilding for another service would have been about $1 billion. Having been involved in these kinds of projects before, those numbers are almost certainly low--you always find more to do when you start opening things up.

I have no doubt that the name will move on to another ship, likely one in the USS America (LHA-6) class. The one ship still under construction in that class still has a name, but even in May there were plans to build another ship. Those plans will no doubt be finalized now.

Also note that the investigation into the cause of the fire is still ongoing.

Fishhead

Reaction score
The Bonnie Dick was Jim Morrison's fathers ship. Jim was taken aboard on a tour, given a haircut, and invited to shoot at junk in the water with a machine gun. When I saw this thread, I figured that it had to be a newer ship. I believe Morrison's visit was either pre-Vietnam or in the early days of the war.

boatgeek

Reaction score
The Bonnie Dick was Jim Morrison's fathers ship. Jim was taken aboard on a tour, given a haircut, and invited to shoot at junk in the water with a machine gun. When I saw this thread, I figured that it had to be a newer ship. I believe Morrison's visit was either pre-Vietnam or in the early days of the war.
That would have been an earlier ship with the same name, a WWII-era carrier that was modernized for Vietnam. There have been 4 ships to carry the name, starting with John Paul Jones in 1779.

HHaase

Reaction score
I just hope they actually do a proper investigation on this one, and don't start blaming an innocent guy like they did on the Iowa.

-Hans

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just hope they actually do a proper investigation on this one, and don't start blaming an innocent guy like they did on the Iowa.

-Hans
I have friends who call that ship 'Home'. There's a LOT going on behind the scenes in the various investigations right now that they're, rightfully, not talking about publicly.

Having worked as a Sailor in shipyards on active duty during overhauls and RCOH events, worked FOR the shipyard as a civilian, and having worked IN shipyards as a contractor, the real wonder is that more and more disastrous fires haven't occurred before this one.

If you've ever worked in a shipyard or done a yard period or even a pier side availability on a US Navy ship, you know that 'shipyard culture' is surely to be major contributing factor.