USR HiTest 2225

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Got my USR HiTest in the mail this morning (on a Bank Holiday... :confused: ). Ordering the kit from USR was extremely easy, and recieved an email about an hour after ordering saying that it had shipped.

Everything arrived in perfect condition, with all parts present. Also included a few parts of the USR Catalouge and an AIR 1, 2 and 3 Motor Installation, Clustering and Staging techniques. The main body tubes had a kind of dull yellow colour on one side of them, with normal white on the other. My guess is that they've been left in the sun or something. Nothing a little paint won't cover up.
A quick look over the instructions, which seemed to be fairly logical and straightfoward. Looking foward to building this, might have a go later this afternoon if I ever wake up.

Parts pic (and no, the Pot Noodle keyring didn't come with it ;) ):
hitestp.JPG

So far, 5/5 for service and the look of the kit.

Phil

cool looking kit - looks like your gonna have fun building it! :D

(and more fun flying it - who needs AP when you can cluster and stage 24mm BP!)

DSCN1783.JPG

Motor tubes glued together, first fin going on. All going very nicely so far :)

Phil

Originally posted by WiK
All going very nicely so far :)
Looking good! :D

I am curious as to where margarine comes into the build process? (or is it following the random-snack-related-object-theme started by the PN keyring?) lol ;)

Originally posted by cydermaster

I am curious as to where margarine comes into the build process? (or is it following the random-snack-related-object-theme started by the PN keyring?) lol ;)

No, I just like food ;)

Had a bit of a building frenzy last night, and its almost finished! :D

Bit of trouble with the Plywood Centering Rings and Plates, they seemed to match the OD of the tube they were meant to be going in, rather than the ID. Easily fixed with some sanding though! A couple more things to do... Shock Cord mount needs to get glued in, and I need to decide wether to use rail buttons or use the supplied 1/4" (?) lugs that come with the kit.
One modification I will make is to put motor blocks in the sustainer, as all I plan to put in it is E9-8's, and personally I don't see how tape thrust rings are going to work *aswell* as staging on it. Just one less thing to worry about :)

Apart from the CR problem, the rest of the kit was great. Instructions fairly clear, had to read through some of the steps to work out what I was meant to be doing... Maybe a diagram for each step could solve that?

EMRR review coming as soon as I can fly this thing... Hopefully at the end of this month (assuming I can afford motors :rolleyes: )

Now for the pic. Pringles pot is for scale (and I wanted to keep up the current theme ;) )

DSCN1784.JPG

Cheers,

Phil

Originally posted by WiK
I need to decide wether to use rail buttons or use the supplied 1/4" (?) lugs that come with the kit.

Nothing wrong with having both...but only if you might find yourself at a field that might only have rods OR rails ;)

The rocket looks great! Can't wait to read the flight report...

Well, its almost finished! Got the sustainer painted over the last couple of days. Picture doesn't show the colours too well, top half is a pearlescent dark green, bottom is a deep blue with fluorescent yellow fins. It came out looking nicer than I expected :)

DSCN1801.JPG

Booster still needs painting, then both need motor blocks and sustainer needs rail buttons.

Overall, a great design, great kit, straightfoward build with high quality components. Should fly at BigEARS at the end of the month!

Phil

Well I finally got the booster painted! All I need to do now is add lugs and thrust rings to the sustainer.

Heres a pic (forgot the food related item :( ):

DSCN1806.JPG

She should fly on 3xD12 to 3xE9-8 at the end of the month :D

Phil

Finnaly finished! The rail buttons arrived in the post 5 minutes ago, and the thrust rings got put in the sustainer last night.

Looking foward to flying it :)

Phil

My Hi-Test 2225 flys GREAT with D12-5 if single and D-12-0 / D12-7 2-Stage.
My only problem is that if the booster does not seperate correctly during staging, it burns up. The Sustainer does not care, it keeps going!

Try A CHAD setup with her. That is Taping the D12-0 motors dorectly to the sustainer motors with out the booster fins....Looks odd, and your buddies will kid you about it....till the birds flys and stages... ! :)

Just be careful about raining motor casings....Have a new dent on my car hood because of one.

Ouch @ dent.
I've sanded the inside of the top of the booster motor tubes to make sure the sustainer motors aren't too tight in the booster, so hopefully it'll seperate at the right time!

Cheers,

Phil

Back