Using Pro75 without smoke tracking element

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro75Friend

Reaction score
Hi volks,
a smoke tracking element is part of my Pro75 purchase, why is it required?

Is it possible to use it without this smoke tracking grain? I guess another forward closure is then required...

Hi volks,

Is it possible to use it without this smoke tracking grain? I guess another forward closure is then required...
What specific problem are you trying to solve for by not using the smoke grain please? Let's get past that hurdle first...

if you delete the smoke grain and use another closure, you have now jumped into EX

if you delete the smoke grain and use another closure, you have now jumped into EX
Well...if AT has a different closure for no-smoke-grain, it'd still be commercial. Otherwise...if both sides of the delay element were coated in epoxy, it would probably not ignite. And you'd have what is referred to in TRA as a "Research Motor", since it has been modified. It works in a different manner than it did before.

Hi volks,

Leave the tracking grain out and fill the tracking insulator sleeve with epoxy, as others have said not sure why you’d want to this, and you’re technically an EX motor now

Well...if AT has a different closure for no-smoke-grain, it'd still be commercial. Otherwise...if both sides of the delay element were coated in epoxy, it would probably not ignite. And you'd have what is referred to in TRA as a "Research Motor", since it has been modified. It works in a different manner than it did before.
Pro75 is CTI, and they don't have a non-smoke closure. So, you're stuck with EX if you do that.
A lot of grease will also inhibit grain lighting, but i'm not sure why you'd want to do this.

Smoke grain serves a few roles in a motor including, but not limited to, providing a dense white smoke for visual tracking of the rocket after motor burn-out. It is possible to design a motor without a smoke/delay grain but unless you're wanting to delve into motor research, you should build the motor according to the instructions that came with the motor. If the motor was designed to use a smoke/delay grain and you don't install it, it may or may not damage/destroy your rocket and/or motor.

Back