UROC Launch, Saturday 19 March 2016 - Watcha Bringin'?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This coming Saturday, 19 March 2016, UROC has scheduled a launch, under NAR Sport Launch rules (we alternate TRA and NAR). Please see our website for more information: https://uroc.org/index.php/2012-05-16-05-29-22/item/6895-march-19-2016-nar-sport-launch And ALWAYS check before heading out to the launch, as launches are subject to cancellation due to weather, fire hazard, paperwork issues, and auditory hallucinations.

Planning to fly my Rocketry Warehouse Scarab 54 on a G motor (maiden flight), Wildman Darkstar Jr on an H, and my Wildman Jayhawk on an I. The Scarab and Darkstar have been loaded and ready to go since the fall. Gotta see what's in my box-o-reloads for the Jayhawk. Will add pictures when I get a moment.

Who else is coming? Whatcha planing to fly?

I'm planning on being there.

Bringing one pretty small rocket that should fly pretty high. Been working on this project a long time and waiting many months to fly it. That's all I'm saying for now about it.

My main focus will be that rocket/flight, but if I've still got time and some clear sky, other likely candidates will be:
My rebuilt 3" Punisher flying anywhere from 3000 to 5000 feet on an I or J motor.
A kit-bashed Wildman Sport that I want to test my new ChuteRelease with, probably fly F/G motors between 1200' and 2000'.
Maybe a brand new 4" glass short/stubby flying an I/J longburn red, or perhaps a longburn Skidmark if they let me fly it.
A 29mm "minimum diameter" flying some G/H longburn.

I'm not planning on bringing anything big or complicated; going to be "travelling light" somewhat.

Aksrockets tells me he's planning on being there, don't know about anyone else.

See y'all at the launch field,
ssix

Darkstar Jr. I've repaired it since I had a deployment problem on the salt flats. If it goes well, we might launch it as a two stage. I just got a BRB GPS tracker that I'm planning to play with as well.

Joe

I'm planning on bringing my two Frank Burke R/C gliders, the SR-71 and the X-15. They fly on E6's as I recall. Also, I would like to try my Mega-Red Baron, again, and perhaps a few other models. It sounds like from the number of above posts that there is some pent-up demand for flying. I hope the weather is good.

Yeah, I'll be there with a few college students from the AIAA club. Not flying anything interesting, Just a few G motors. See you guys Saturday!

Alex

I wanna come! Never been to any other launch then my personal ones. I'm not a member of anything - UROC, NAR, TRA... Am I still welcomed to come watch!? Weather looks "Clear" for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!

Should I bring any LPR stuff to launch "somewhere", or just plan on watchin'?!

I have instructions on how to get there - I guess it's marked or obvious where to go towards the end of the instructions - correct? Have not been out that direction since the 80's, when we parachuted somewhere out that way!

Thanks,
Pat

Pat,
The UROC Saturday launch, March 19, is open to everyone. There are plenty of LPR racks, but I am not sure of the non-member rules. You can always ask. There have been times when many scouts have launched with us and they are not members. The launch site is south of Tooele and west of Lehi.

Pat,

You are welcome to watch and launch. I think we ask for a nominal donation from non-members (like $5), but I'm still new enough to the club to be unsure. Believe it or not, the biggest expense at our launches is the porta-potty. Go figure.

You can fly anything up to a G-80 without being in NAR or TRA. So, feel free to bring anything LPR or MPR. We usually have two LPR racks up front with 1/8" and 3/16" rods, then the HPR pads in the back with 1/4" rods and 1010 rails.

Not being a member of NAR or TRA you don't get the benefit of their umbrella insurance policy.

Check the directions on the UROC website. They basically amount to: Drive to Lehi. Head west for about 30 minutes. When you go through Five-Mile pass (bunch of ATV trails on both sides of the road), take a left on the unnamed dirt road just beyond. Stay straight (no forks) for 3-4 miles and you'll see us on the right.

I'll pm you my cell number in case you have any questions or get lost.

Hope to see you there!

I wanna come! Never been to any other launch then my personal ones. I'm not a member of anything - UROC, NAR, TRA... Am I still welcomed to come watch!? Weather looks "Clear" for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!

Should I bring any LPR stuff to launch "somewhere", or just plan on watchin'?!

I have instructions on how to get there - I guess it's marked or obvious where to go towards the end of the instructions - correct? Have not been out that direction since the 80's, when we parachuted somewhere out that way!

Thanks,
Pat

Awesome info - thanks Bill! I got your number - much appreciated! Sounds like awesome fun! I'll bring some LPR stuff - but if people are callin' it the "kiddie rail" - I'm not launching!! lol :p

See ya'll Saterday! PUMPED for first club launch!
Pat(rick)
Edit: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Beautiful day - clear skies and light wind! About 55* F or so...?

Thanks UROC for hosting a great launch! My neck snapped up quickly on many launches!

launch01.jpg

RC controlled Blackbird
launch02.jpg

One of my favorite rockets: (Live Long and Prosper!)
launch03.jpg

It was a good day to fly rockets!. My younger daughter flew her Bug-me-Not and my Red Strike on A8-3 and A3-4T. My older daughter was waiting for some friends to arrive, but finally got to launch her Wild Child on G76. I flew my Scarab 54 on a G69 and LOC Stovi on a H238. And, we had friends show up (6 year old twin boys) who flew their Estes Super Neon XL twice, once on a D12-5 and once on an E9-6. They lost the NC and parachute on the second launch, and my daughter lost the NC on her Wild Child.

In the middle there I pulled a couple hours of RSO/LCO duty.

All in all, a good day to launch rockets! I think we had almost 90 people in attendance.

Back