Upscale (of sorts) of Estes ESAM Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
I think many of us know that beautiful Estes ESAM rocket kit only available at Hobby Lobby. It is almost identical to the upper stage of the SASHA two stage kit. Anyway, I made the original kit, but put a 24mm motor mount in it with beautiful flights on D12's and E12's. Waiting for a calm day for the F12 flight.

Anyway here is a photo of the Estes kit version with my 24mm motor mount mod in case you don't know what the kit looks like.

Originall ESAM.jpg

Last edited:
I cant believe I have not seen an upscale at a launch yet!

So here we go. I decided to do an upscale with a number of modifications. it is based on the 2.56" air-frame. I calculated the upscale based on ratios of diameter to length among others. I think it turned out great. The OTHER modifications are as follows.

1) I used the LOC Precision 2.56" modular motor mount system. I cant say enough about this idea! It is not only fun, but it enables me to do BP clustering. Something I LOVE to do. I would recommend this system. You do NOT have to use it in their kits, but can use it in scratch build projects like mine.

2) I made a tracker payload (photos). This is needed as I often launch near crops.

3) I made it a 6 fin version instead of a 8 fin version to cut down on weight in the aft. The thrust to weight ratio for 3 BP E12-4's is about 5.8:1 so I am good to go. It is still a calm day rocket when using the BP motors, as it has a lot of fins

SO, here are some photos. This of course is UNPAINTED. The fins are surface mount bass wood. I also beveld the leading edges. The fins in the photos are prime sealed with white pigmented shellac primer.

ES-Unpainted.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the two LOC Precision modular motor mounts. VERY COOL!! I love what LOC is doing these days!

ES motor mounts.jpg

Here are the two different mounts in the rocket. Starting with the plain-empty end. ALSO, I used a 1.5" section of coupler as a "thrust ring" for the mounts. They are also held in place my 3 4/40 nylon shear pins OR you can use the hardware LOC provides. Also, my aft button is screwed into the modular mounts. They are not going anywhere.

ES-bottom.jpg

ES-3x24mm.jpg

ES-29mm.jpg

Last edited:
And here is the payload that will hold my tracker. I am also using a Chute Release.....good times! (that is an Aerotech 2.56" nose cone).

ES-tracker bay.jpg

Here is a shot of the holes that are used for the bottom button and the three other ones that use the 4/40 screws to hold the motor mounts in place. Just make sure everything lines up and you are good go!

I am truly excited to launching this on different motors. 3 E12's and then a G54 or G79W will be glorious! Now I just have to come up with paint colors...the hardest part of the build!!

If anyone wants specs, please let me know! THANKS to LOC Precision for coming out with such cool new items.

More of these modular kits please!!!

ES-mount holes.jpg

Last edited:
Well I finally finished the painting and put some decals I had laying around on it. I took it to our NOTRA launch this weekend for its first flight. The thrust to weight was a little over 5:1 with 3 E12-4's . After loading it all up I was kind of nervous it would be a bit of a dog and lumber off the rail. I was so wrong!!

It was a nice calm day and it did great. Based on my chute release setting I estimated I got maybe 800-900 feet with the 3 E12's. I actually launched it twice on three E12-4's. I should have used E12-6's. On windier days, the E12-4 would be great. On calm days I will remember to use the 6 second delay. I have also been using regular Estes igniters for some time now (years) with no issues. Both flights went very well and were straight up and good recoveries!

Photos below before flight!

#7-A.jpg

#7-C.jpg

Cool. I've got an stock 18mm ESAM that I really wish I had put in a 24mm motor mount in it instead. Only flown it on C5-3, and a C18-6 (which it hated and flew very strangely).

Cool. I've got an stock 18mm ESAM that I really wish I had put in a 24mm motor mount in it instead. Only flown it on C5-3, and a C18-6 (which it hated and flew very strangely).

If you put a pat of clay in the nose a 24mm motor mount with friction fit works great in/on the original kit. It does wonderfully on the D12-5.

I have a video of the flight and recovery. Cant seem to get it posted. It just says "oops, we have encountered a problem" any suggestions?

Andrew

Back