Upscale Estes X-Ray rocket - Getting close!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzzh8c

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,

Having built big (17'), complex (3 stage), and fast (Mach 1+) high powered rockets, my next category is "Classic" and I'm building a 7X upscale of the Estes classic "X-Ray", complete with a 3' clear plastic section. It's coming together (in my apartment living room no less) and should be launching in early November with a K700. I've seen lots of great up-scales, but none of this rocket which was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Just got the up-scaled decals to put on it and will be trying to match the black/white/blue color scheme from the 70's that I remember.

Just thought to share with other 70's Estes fans!

Todd

XRay Rocket.jpg

Is that transition fiberglass? Looks awesome!

Yes it is - got some good help from Frank Uroda of PML with it. The payload section is a little under the diameter I needed for a pure 7X upscale, but I needed to use the nosecone I had.

Hmmmmm.....what to put in there....what to put in there.....

Hey - you kid! Come here!

Oh, stop bawlin....

Primer's going on today and my old Adept DDCS2 is still working! YES!

Last edited:
Wow, that is freaking awesome! A 7X upscale will be huge! I'm currently working on a 3.3X upscale myself. It's coming along nicely, but won't be anywhere near as impressive as yours!

Hmmmmm.....what to put in there....what to put in there.....

Hey - you kid! Come here!

Oh, stop bawlin....

Just make sure that the paint is fully cured... you don't want the kid to get "high" before it gets HIGH.

Painted.jpg

Rocket is painted and now into decals! I notice some pictures get distorted when they upload, so if it looks wider than true dimensions, it's due to that.

Looking forward to launching this Sunday Nov 3 on a K700 in Manchester MI with Michigan Team 1 !

Todd

Rocket is painted and now into decals! I notice some pictures get distorted when they upload, so if it looks wider than true dimensions, it's due to that.

Looking forward to launching this Sunday Nov 3 on a K700 in Manchester MI with Michigan Team 1 !

Todd

A K700 should rock the X-Ray!

Never mind the payload section, I think I've had kittens that could fit in the launch lugs.

Back