Upscale Death Star

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the last of the bulkheads today. The smaller, solid one is sized to fit inside a LOC 5.5" coupler. It fits inside the upper body tube, (which is sleeved with couplers along it's entire length), and is attached to the bottom of quadrant #1. A PerfectFlite mini-timer G-switch inside the ball fires the BP charge on the aft side on this bulkhead, which lifts all 4 quadrants out of the body tube. It also will have a U-bolt on it, to attach a line to the deployment bag for the booster's 108" Spherachute.

The larger, open ring is sized to fit outside the glassed LOC 5.5" upper body tube. The original Estes Death Star has a small plastic ring here, which carries the bottom edges of the ball sections. (It also held the upper launch lug). I added this as I feel there could be an issue with the approximately 30 pounds of ball at liftoff. If the weight was carried solely by the lip of the upper body tube, there exists a possibility that the ball bulkheads could initiate a massive zipper under acceleration, particularly if any air gets between the sections as it comes up to Max Q. Having the weight resting on the outside of the body tube will lesson the probability of that scenario.

Death Star support bulkheads.jpg

final bulkheads.jpg

What day are you planning for the launch?

In a perfect world, it will be Saturday the 28th, in the early afternoon. Winds, weather, and getting it done could all cause that to slip.

I'd like to see the Death Star launch. I'll plan for Saturday and keep an eye on the weather. The wife says we can't make it both days...not enough time or money.

I'd like to see the Death Star launch. I'll plan for Saturday and keep an eye on the weather.

That'll be great. If I know you're coming, I'll wait to launch until I know you're there. Keep on eye on the forum, too, to make sure we get them finished in time.

7 1/2 days to go.

I have been working hard in the background to get things done after work. I am going a different wrought with mine due to time problems and because I am going for my level 2 with it. I filled my ball with 2lb foam which used up 2 orders worth and a little from Sather. (Thanks!) Then I used JB Quick Weld to reattach the doors on the ball. I cut a couple of pieces from my sanding disks and stuck them to the inside of the ball to hold the door in place while I put the epoxy on it. It worked well. I am also almost done with putting on the pieces of glass clothe over the fin fillets for strength. After that I will start to paint the booster this weekend.

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

Added the first layer of Bad Juju today. It started to rain when I was getting ready. I am not sure if that is a good thing when painting a Death Star or a bad thing. :twisted:

FIRST LAYER OF BAD.JPG

The larger, open ring is sized to fit outside the glassed LOC 5.5" upper body tube. The original Estes Death Star has a small plastic ring here, which carries the bottom edges of the ball sections. (It also held the upper launch lug).

As I wrote that, one would think it might remind me that the launch rod actually goes THROUGH the band. So after installing it and test fitting the launch rod, I realized we had a small problem, and spent the next few hours cutting through 3/4" plywood with a razor saw, being extremely careful not to cut into my glassed body tube. Then I epoxied into position the top 1/2" launch lug, in line with the ones on the lower body tube. The rod will go into the ball but not out the top.

While the epoxy on the launch lug set, I put the laser eye into the last ball quadrant. The eye portion is from the original ball I started with, the 40" diameter red one that was disproportionately too large. In hindsight, I should have kept that ball and gone with 7.5" body tube and a 98mm motor, which would have given more options than the two we currently have. (Aero Tech K1275-R and Cesaroni K2045 Vmax.) The hole for the laser eye was cut slightly smaller than the eye insert itself, to give something to epoxy it on to. Two layers of 6 oz fiberglass help spread the surface area for better epoxy adhesion. I'll flip it over and do the other side tomorrow.

top lug thru ball support ring.jpg

laser eye cut out.jpg

laser eye installed.jpg

Last edited:
I asked Santa for one last Christmas, but he replied...

"You'll put you eye out kid!...ho, ho, ho..."

arctic blue laser.jpg

Put the last piece of glass on the fins toady and will get to painting the booster tomorrow. I started masking the ball and after 2 hours have half done. I wanted to stop to make sure I have enough pin stripping tape left to layout the bottom. I used small piece of masking tape to layout the horizontal lines and then taped over them using them as my guide. I figured they would come off when I pulled the tape off compared to marking the ball with a marker. I then just free handed the rest using the Estes Death Star as a ruff guide for the eye. I have to add a little detail to the eye tomorrow also. I think I am doing ok for faking it so far.

Dan

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

Wow, great work on the striping, Dan! I really like the focal plane inside the laser eye. Mine is just the concave curved surface, but I may have to scrounge something to glue in there. Hmmm, maybe something from the kitchen. Mine will most likely just be solid grey, as I don't think I'll have enough time to properly mask and paint all that detailing. Maybe for her second launch. This is how I spent my weekend... well, Saturday anyway. Sunday will be sweeping and vacuuming.

starting eye grind.jpg

finishing eye grind.jpg

Meanwhile, back on Tatooine... I vacuumed up the mess quicker than anticipated and had time to put on a layer of fiberglass on the front side of the laser eye. I also realize now that my eye is a little larger than scale should have it, but too late to change. 7 days to go.

glassing eye.jpg

I thought I would throw a quick coat of primer on the lower half of the booster, to show me where I need to sand. Pretty much everywhere!

setup for paint.jpg

first coat of primer.jpg

I gave the lower body tube a good sanding, using the primer as a guide coat. Then gave it a skim coat of Super Fil (available here... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php) to fill in the edges and fabric texture of the fiberglass wraps. Have to let it dry overnight now, so will catch up a little on the Death Star ball (T minus 6 days) and Jayhawk (2 months).

Super Fil skim coat.jpg

Screen shot 2010-08-22 at 11.48.27 AM.png

Last edited:
I assume you are going to paint your booster black like the original? I haven't decided yet, but am leaning towards painting mine to match our red one. It will certainly make the fins easier to find after the flight.

Death Star box.jpg

Estes Death Star.jpg

Last edited:
If I can get a 23 inch foam filled ball to sink that far unto the ground I would can that a success!

After 2 more hours of masking I am ready to put the grey primer on. I am using primer for the ball to try and keep the Styrofoam feel to the top section. I am going for the look of the original and not making it to elaborate. I don’t think there is a middle ground. You either go all out with detail or keep it simple. I have already gone over all the tape to make sure it is down so out I go to paint!

Dan

IMG_2899.JPG

End of a big day and this is what I ended up with. I have a little touch up around the eye (of course) but the overall effect of it is not too bad. My intension was not to go for a museum piece and a perfect finish but to have the feel of an old time rocket. Once I touch it up I will be happy with it. I am glad I kept it simple with the design.

Dan

DS1.JPG

DS2.JPG

DS3.JPG

DS4.jpg

DS5.JPG

looks really nice, mimas as a death star,

maybe put some star wars lasers on your death star

like this one?

[YOUTUBE]9ORwbOjnV6g[/YOUTUBE]

no I'm just kidding.

wow, Dan, that looks great! I was planning on flying mine plain grey. You have raised the bar.

death star.jpg

I am glad I kept it simple with the design.

First off I'll say that your Death star looks AWESOME, I doubt I could do as well. :clap:

My question would be if THAT'S simple what's complex? That doesn't look that simple at all to me as fantastic as it came out looking.

Thank you for the compliment. To me complicated would be having detail in every square of the Death Star. Each one would have vents or things like that. The eye would also have much more detail also. I think the hardest part of doing something like that would be keeping it random enough to keep your eye from focusing on a patern. Still after spending hours to get this one done I have a much deeper appreciation for those who can pull things like that off.

Dan

Back