Upscale BLU-97B

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick,

HUGE congrats on a fantastic launch man!!! It looks like it flew just fine and I am sure you will have the fin repaired in no time.

Carl

Dick -

Way cool! It sure was windy yesterday - I had prepped my Vostok for its first clustered flight, but no way was I going to risk it in that wind. Stayed home instead.

Hope to see the BLU at a narhams launch soon! I am eyeballing those Quaker Oats canisters myself, now...

Thanks Carl! Can't wait to see more progress on your BIGGER version :)

Very nicely done.. I love making rockets out of odds and ends..

:)

I finally finished the reinforcement of the fin joints, slapped on some paint, and made a few CHAD stickers. I ended up using carbon tape, purely on a whim. It cost more than the rest of the rocket and I learned the hard way that it is a lot harder to wet out than glass. :eek: We won't talk about the finish when viewed up close :eek: :eek:, but it looks fine from this perspective :)

yeah that CF is expensive.....but I really like the upscale...it looks great. I like the reail buttons too ;)

Dick,

Great finish bro...it really looks cool and captures the moment. I am about 2/3 through wetsanding the big one and hope my finish comes out as nice...dang weave. ;)

Great job man, how did you do your stickers?

Carl

The combo of a bad laminator (me), tight spaces on the butt end (the design), and soft foamboard fins (me again), I didn't sand nearly as much as needed to get a good finish. Another one that looks good from 10 feet! :)

Thanks again for the kind words!

Dick...
Just out of curiosity, are those rail buttons on the little guy?

I've got a few LPR/MPR birds that I'd like to put RB's on, also. Do they need to be mounted 180* from the stock lugs or can thay be on the same side of the airframe, w/o instability problems?

I generally just like them on the flip side, but stability isn't an issue. The issue would be that, especially on smaller models, there isn't enough clearance for the rail if there is a lug on the same side.

Back