3D Printing Updated extruder and klipper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTekcor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So after using my stock Creality CR-10 v2 for years I decided it was time for an update.
I added a Swiss Micro NG Direct Drive Extruder / hotend and installed Klipper with my raspberry pi. I also moved the filament from the side to above the printer.
IMG_3660.jpeg

It took some time to get Klipper configured but I am very happy with the results. I have not tried speeding up the print yet.

I am still using octoprint but I have been looking at installing Mainsail.

I think I am going to be happy with the new setup. Less filament clogs and breaks and more reliable, consistent prints.

I have an Ender3 Pro. CR Touch auto bed leveling and Klipper on the Sonic pad are the best updates I've ever done to it. Used to print at 50mm/sec profiles, now I can routinely print at 150+mm/sec profiles with no loss of quality. They effectively stopped 90% of the fiddle farting around with adjustments, and the high volume cursing!

I think that Klipper (or some form of proprietary input shaping) is the next step in the evolution of FDM printing for the entry level+ consumer market.

Having used it, I would now never buy a machine that didn't have similar features as an initial design element.

I have an Ender3 Pro. CR Touch auto bed leveling and Klipper on the Sonic pad are the best updates I've ever done to it. Used to print at 50mm/sec profiles, now I can routinely print at 150+mm/sec profiles with no loss of quality. They effectively stopped 90% of the fiddle farting around with adjustments, and the high volume cursing!

I think that Klipper (or some form of proprietary input shaping) is the next step in the evolution of FDM printing for the entry level+ consumer market.

Having used it, I would now never buy a machine that didn't have similar features as an initial design element.
Ditto.

I now have 5 Printers running it. I slow it down if I need strength but for anything else, I just print away.

I actually think having closed (proprietary) firmware is a bad idea in the consumer printing market. There is a ton of innovative thought and capability in the maker community. I just don't see how any company can outperform an entire globe of printing enthusiasts. Maybe Bambu Labs will prove me wrong.

I actually think having closed (proprietary) firmware is a bad idea in the consumer printing market. There is a ton of innovative thought and capability in the maker community. I just don't see how any company can outperform an entire globe of printing enthusiasts. Maybe Bambu Labs will prove me wrong.
So is Prusa

Are you saying Prusa is not open source? They publicly stated their desktop printer firmware and slicer software will "always be open source".

As I understand it, there is some question as to input shaping on the Mk4 software.

Ditto.

I now have 5 Printers running it. I slow it down if I need strength but for anything else, I just print away.
How difficult is it to load Klipper on the MK3s+?

I don't necessarily want to go any faster (80-120mm for walls currently) but would like to get rid of some of the vertical fine artifacts that come from printing faster. Are there other ways to get input shaping on the MK3s+?

https://github.com/prusa3d
Your mileage may vary. Good luck editing it.
My son and I have done it on several prior firmware versions to get it to work on my MK1 and Mk2/2.5. We even got it to work on the old ender before it went in a different direction. It did not seem that difficult. The key is reading all the documentation and knowing your printer's specifics.

I am planning to install something from their GitHub on my Anycubic Chiron and Predator over Christmas. Now that sill be hard.

Back